? for the F-4B pilots

Old December 24th 03, 04:48 PM
Pechs1

Default ? for the F-4B pilots

Flew the C, D, J, N, S but not the B-

Did the B model have aileron droop ala the 'J' model??

Did it have a slotted stab?
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old December 26th 03, 01:32 PM
John Carrier

Slotted stabs were a retrofit. I'll ask my B-driver coworkers about the
flaps ... I think one of 'em even has a NATOPS (and a tacman as well!?!).

R / John

"Pechs1" wrote in message
Flew the C, D, J, N, S but not the B-

Did the B model have aileron droop ala the 'J' model??

Did it have a slotted stab?
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Old December 26th 03, 02:12 PM
Pechs1

John- Slotted stabs were a retrofit. I'll ask my B-driver coworkers about
the
flaps ... I think one of 'em even has a NATOPS (and a tacman as well!?!).
BRBR

Thanks...I saw that the 'B's flown by the Blues had slotted stabs and aileron
dropp but not sure about the fleet birds. I flew the 'N' that had both..but
they were 'N' models, after-all.

Sure miss that A/C, the Phantom...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old December 26th 03, 07:48 PM
Steve Tobey

"Pechs1" wrote in message
John- Slotted stabs were a retrofit. I'll ask my B-driver coworkers

about
the
flaps ... I think one of 'em even has a NATOPS (and a tacman as well!?!).
BRBR

Thanks...I saw that the 'B's flown by the Blues had slotted stabs and

aileron
dropp but not sure about the fleet birds. I flew the 'N' that had

both..but
they were 'N' models, after-all.

Sure miss that A/C, the Phantom...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I don't believe the Blues ever flew the F-4B.
If my memory serves me correctly they received brand new F-4Js when they
transitioned from F-11s to the Phantoms (early 1969?).

Steve

Old December 27th 03, 12:04 AM
Dave in San Diego

"Steve Tobey" wrote in
:

"Pechs1" wrote in message
[...]

From:
http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/history/history.html

The ensuing 20 years saw the Blue Angels transition into two more
aircraft. In 1957 the team began flying the Grumman F11F-1 Tiger,
followed in 1969 by team's first dual-engine jet, the McDonnell Douglas
F-4J Phantom II.

The CHINFO site confirms this.

Dave in San Diego

--
-
"For once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes
Old December 27th 03, 03:16 PM
Pechs1

stobey- Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I don't believe the Blues ever flew the
F-4B.
If my memory serves me correctly they received brand new F-4Js when they
transitioned from F-11s to the Phantoms (early 1969?). BRBR

Not sure the F-4J was around in 1969 but the F-4s in 'Threshold' have -8
engines, not -10s found on the 'J'. No 'J' had -8 engines, AFAIK.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old December 27th 03, 03:18 PM
Pechs1

doug- followed in 1969 by team's first dual-engine jet, the McDonnell Douglas

F-4J Phantom II. BRBR

I guess the first ones had the -8 engine then.

'The internet, is it still around?'

Thanks-
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old December 27th 03, 04:09 PM
Brett

"Pechs1" wrote:
stobey- Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I don't believe the Blues ever

flew the
F-4B.
If my memory serves me correctly they received brand new F-4Js when they
transitioned from F-11s to the Phantoms (early 1969?). BRBR

Not sure the F-4J was around in 1969

The first flight of the F-4J was in 1966 and it was being delivered to
operational squadrons by 1967 according to Francis Mason in Phantom. Several
sources state that VF-33 and VF-102 were equiped with F-4Js aboard USS
America in 1968. Those sources include this one:

http://www.ussamerica.org/Airwing.htm

Old December 28th 03, 04:45 AM
Brett

"Peter Stickney" wrote:
In article ,
(Pechs1) writes:
stobey- Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I don't believe the Blues ever

flew the
F-4B.
If my memory serves me correctly they received brand new F-4Js when they
transitioned from F-11s to the Phantoms (early 1969?). BRBR

Not sure the F-4J was around in 1969 but the F-4s in 'Threshold' have -8
engines, not -10s found on the 'J'. No 'J' had -8 engines, AFAIK.

I've never flown an F-4, but I do happen to have NAVAIR NATOPS
01-245FDD-1 handy (The F-4J book, May '75 revision), just in case I
find one in a barn, or somebody leavis it to me in their will, or
something, and, when thumbing through it, I found this, which may
help.

Page 1-58:
"The airplane is powered by two General Electric J79 engines. Aircraft
153071z thru 153087aa have J79-GE-8 engines installed, with a thrust
rating of 10,900 pounds each. Afterburner operation increases the
maximum thrust to 17,000 pounds. Aircraft 153088aa and up have
J79-GE-10 engines installed, with a thrust rating of 11,870 pounds
each. Afterburner operation increases the maximum thrust to 17,900
pounds each."

The airplanes with the -8 engines would be the Block 26z and 27aa (Why
does the Navy have to have a different name for everything?)
airplanes, for a total of 18 ships.

Guess what according to Joseph Baugher's web site those include aircraft
flown by the Blue Angels:

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/thirdseries19.html