OT - Anyone here own a restaurant?

Old January 18th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Stupid Guest Tricks (Was: OT - Anyone here own a restaurant?)

you can also lower the temperature for 1 degree C, this saves alsoa lot of
money.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I would suspect most hotel rooms are
unoccupied for a goodly portion of a guest's stay, assuming it is more
than one night.

Jay - I assume you turn the heat/ AC (depending on season) down in the
unoccpied rooms.

You might want to take that a step farther and install occupancy
sensors, such that when the room is unoccupied for a "significant"
period, the heating/ac dials back to some preset lower, setting. When
the room again has people in it, the temp goes back up to whatever the
guest set it for. I have stayed in some properties that do that and it
seems to work out well. Just be sure to set the delay times so that its
not bouncing up and down if someone runs out to get ice or is in the
bathroom a while...

Get a little fancier and the control could be tied to your front desks
system, whereby the room is dialed back even further when not rented.
It could then dial it up whenthe guest checks in, so as to get a bit of
a jump start before they walk in.

Cost/ benefit applies, of course.

Randy

Old January 18th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Randy Aldous wrote:

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I would suspect most hotel rooms are
unoccupied for a goodly portion of a guest's stay, assuming it is more
than one night.

At the ones at which I've stayed, the heat or A/C was turned down or off by the
cleaning staff every morning.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old January 25th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I would suspect most hotel rooms are
unoccupied for a goodly portion of a guest's stay, assuming it is more
than one night.

At the ones at which I've stayed, the heat or A/C was turned down or off
by the cleaning staff every morning.

Yep, that's what we do. Our housekeepers are instructed to turn the
thermostats down (or up, in summer) to 60 degrees in winter, and 80 degrees
in summer.

We've tried colder/warmer, but our big suites take too long to heat up/cool
down. Guests just don't like checking into a too cold/hot unit, for some
reason!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 26th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
Correct me if I am mistaken, but I would suspect most hotel rooms are
unoccupied for a goodly portion of a guest's stay, assuming it is more
than one night.

At the ones at which I've stayed, the heat or A/C was turned down or off
by the cleaning staff every morning.

Yep, that's what we do. Our housekeepers are instructed to turn the
thermostats down (or up, in summer) to 60 degrees in winter, and 80 degrees
in summer.

We've tried colder/warmer, but our big suites take too long to heat up/cool
down. Guests just don't like checking into a too cold/hot unit, for some
reason!

Have housekeeping take a few minutes and run around and adjust the
heat/air on the rooms you have reservations for at normal time they're
available for check in. Otherwise leave them.
Old January 26th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

We've tried colder/warmer, but our big suites take too long to heat
up/cool down. Guests just don't like checking into a too cold/hot unit,
for some reason!

Have housekeeping take a few minutes and run around and adjust the
heat/air on the rooms you have reservations for at normal time they're
available for check in. Otherwise leave them.

Although I would like to believe that our house-keepers are that good
(currently, they are), it's not something we can count on. Housekeeping is
a high-turnover, thankless job, and adding ANYTHING to their
responsibilities is problematic.

In short, we've tried making the position do this kind of stuff, when we had
particularly good staff. That works fine, until they quit, and you are
forced to hire someone not so good. Suddenly, you've created a position
that requires a more self-directed person than the pay can afford to buy,
and it all falls apart.

So, we now stick strictly to the KISS principle with housekeeping, and it
all works better.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA