XCountry logging

Old May 11th 12, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Doe

Default XCountry logging

In article , , Edward A.
Falk says...

In article ,
Edward A. Falk wrote:

Technically, all of it can be logged as cross-country.

Oh, wait. Turns out that it's an an FAQ:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/aviation/faq/section-8.html#b

Apparently the norm is 50nm to be counted toward a license
or rating, with the notable exception being ATP which has
no lower limit.

Yep, you're on to it - the talk is about X country flight *training*

--
Duncan.
Old May 22nd 12, 05:34 AM
Capt. Wes B. Capt. Wes B. is offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P View Post
Sorry to beat this dead horse.... Here is my trip:
Leg1 : 49.3 NM .6 Hobbs
Leg2 : 59.0 NM .6 Hobbs
Leg3 : 36.2 NM .4 Hobbs

How much of this can legally be logged as Cross Country Time?
I agree with the other comments. It would/should count as a cross country flight of a total distance of 144.5 NM and a total time of: 1.6 hrs-If I remember correctly (I don't have a FAR AIM right in front of me) but as far as the cross country requirements are concerned for your P.P.L. it needs to be a trip total of 150 NM. So while this particular trip would not count as part of that requirement, it should give you the cross country hours you will need and can use.

Capt. Wes B.
B.S. Aviation Management CFI-I, MEI

Marketniner.com Buy, Sell, or Trade All Things Aviation-First Ad is Free!
Old June 5th 12, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith[_2_]

On 2012-05-09, Bob Moore wrote:
Don P wrote
Sorry to beat this dead horse.... Here is my trip:
Leg1 : 49.3 NM .6 Hobbs
Leg2 : 59.0 NM .6 Hobbs
Leg3 : 36.2 NM .4 Hobbs
How much of this can legally be logged as Cross Country Time?

If you redefine your starting point as starting at the begining
of leg two, then legs 2 and 3 can be logged, otherwise, none of
the landings were accomplished at a point more than 50 miles from
the original starting point.

Well, it could still all be cross country if you start at the beginning
of leg 1. The poster didn't say that leg 3 ended at the start point
of leg 1, it's possible that at the end of leg 3, the poster was at
most a straight line distance of 145.5NM from the starting point of leg 1.

Old June 5th 12, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
150flivver

Any

On 2012-05-09, Bob Moore wrote:
Don P wrote
Sorry to beat this dead horse.... Here is my trip:
Leg1 : 49.3 NM .6 Hobbs
Leg2 : 59.0 NM .6 Hobbs
Leg3 : 36.2 NM .4 Hobbs
How much of this can legally be logged as Cross Country Time?

If you redefine your starting point as starting at the begining
of leg two, then legs 2 and 3 can be logged, otherwise, none of
the landings were accomplished at a point more than 50 miles from
the original starting point.

Well, it could still all be cross country if you start at the beginning
of leg 1. The poster didn't say that leg 3 ended at the start point
of leg 1, it's possible that at the end of leg 3, the poster was at
most a straight line distance of 145.5NM from the starting point of leg 1..

Any flight where you land at an airfield different from the one you took off from can be logged as cross country. Not all cross country time can be used for the required aeronautical experience needed for additional ratings. You need to look up the rating requirement for the particular cross country time that applies.
Old July 5th 12, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Monday, May 7, 2012 8:55:39 PM UTC-5, Don P wrote:
Sorry to beat this dead horse.... Here is my trip:
Leg1 : 49.3 NM .6 Hobbs
Leg2 : 59.0 NM .6 Hobbs
Leg3 : 36.2 NM .4 Hobbs

How much of this can legally be logged as Cross Country Time?

Lots of good points here about what counts as X/C time for ratings, certs and currency - but one point to remember is that it's your logbook - you can log whatever you want in it.