A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

ADSB out in tow planes

Old June 2nd 18, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

Default ADSB out in tow planes

Hi Lou,

Thanks for the info!

I am really enjoying my new found sport. I finally got out on a couple of decent cross country flights last week. Looking forward to some more.

Power FLARM is certainly in the works for next season along with hooking up the Oudie to my Cambridge vario.

Charlie
Old June 2nd 18, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

I’ve heard from a lot of glider pilots and seen the comment that the FLARM can’t be turned off. I was reading through the PowerFLARM core installation manual and it says-“Connect PowerFLARM CORE via a dedicated pilot-operated 2 ampere CB. ”

How long would it take the FLARM to boot up and find itself if you didn’t push the CB in until after you release from tow?
Old June 2nd 18, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 2:06:24 PM UTC-7, Charles Longley wrote:
I’ve heard from a lot of glider pilots and seen the comment that the FLARM can’t be turned off. I was reading through the PowerFLARM core installation manual and it says-“Connect PowerFLARM CORE via a dedicated pilot-operated 2 ampere CB. ”

How long would it take the FLARM to boot up and find itself if you didn’t push the CB in until after you release from tow?

minute. But it's not that simple. As somebody else already mentioned many pilots will be relying on the PowerFLARM as a flight recorder. Or even if relying on it to to drive a PDA you may have problems getting the soaring software set up correctly, pressure altitude set correctly etc. without a GPS driving stuff.

Pilots are unlikely going to won't want to risk problems, especially in contests or badge flights. And adding to the pilot workload and distractions to do stuff and then check things are working in a thermal off tow or maybe a pre-start gaggle is a bad idea. Turning down the volume seems a much better idea. Or even better put that PowerFLARM in the towplane and hopefully the issue just goes away.

Old June 2nd 18, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

Those are all excellent points! Glad I asked the question.
Old June 2nd 18, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 2:18:17 PM UTC-7, Charles Longley wrote:

You CAN display Flarm targets on an iPad, but it requires a specific installation. You will need an Air Connect interface and the iGlide software from Air Avionics. The Air Connect uses the RS-232 stream from the Flarm and sends it via WiFi to the iPad. On the iPad, iGlide will display all the targets that PowerFlarm can see, which will be Flarm equipped gliders and ADS-B traffic. You can also use iGlide for navigation as it is a full tactical computer with GPS moving map, airspace, etc. There is a variation of it called iPilot for GA aircraft, but I don't think it will connect to the Flarm.

Another app that will display Flarm on an iPad is Winpilot Live (still requires the Air Connect). Both apps are on the Apple app store. The Air Connect can be had from Craggy Aero, installation is simple on a PowerFlarm, one plug for power and data.
Old June 2nd 18, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Many glider pilots will not want to turn off Flarm until after release, because they are using the Flarm IGC logger to document their flight. Leaving it off until release is not an option as it will leave the takeoff, field elevation, etc. undocumented making the flight likely invalid for competition, OLC, or other uses.

To answer your question, it will only take 30 seconds or less to boot and find position. But the damage to the log file is already done.
Old June 3rd 18, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Rather than turn off the powerflarm core, simply turn off the FlarmView that is connected to the Flarm. Intercepting the power lead in the cable going to the Flarmview and routing that to a panel mounted switch will keep the Flarm running (good for your flight log and keeps you visible to other Flarm traffic) and you won’t get annoying beeping while on tow. Once off tow, you can power up the Flameview and be on your way.
Old June 3rd 18, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 3:44:54 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:

You CAN display Flarm targets on an iPad, but it requires a specific installation. You will need an Air Connect interface and the iGlide software from Air Avionics. The Air Connect uses the RS-232 stream from the Flarm and sends it via WiFi to the iPad. On the iPad, iGlide will display all the targets that PowerFlarm can see, which will be Flarm equipped gliders and ADS-B traffic. You can also use iGlide for navigation as it is a full tactical computer with GPS moving map, airspace, etc. There is a variation of it called iPilot for GA aircraft, but I don't think it will connect to the Flarm.

Another app that will display Flarm on an iPad is Winpilot Live (still requires the Air Connect). Both apps are on the Apple app store. The Air Connect can be had from Craggy Aero, installation is simple on a PowerFlarm, one plug for power and data.

Yes, but to be clear, that can't display on Foreflight (a just *wonderful* GA app), which was the original question. And since he already has an Oudie and C302 I know what I'd be doing... adding a PowerFLARM and K6 Mux and possibly a Flarmview display.

Now if only SeeYou Mobile ran on an iPhone I'd care more using those (OK I said that just to annoy Jon). :-)

Old June 3rd 18, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

So...* Will the glider pilot complaining that his PF alerts on the tug's
ADS-B be willing to foot the bill to put a PF portable into the tug?

On 6/2/2018 3:15 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:

minute. But it's not that simple. As somebody else already mentioned many pilots will be relying on the PowerFLARM as a flight recorder. Or even if relying on it to to drive a PDA you may have problems getting the soaring software set up correctly, pressure altitude set correctly etc. without a GPS driving stuff.

Pilots are unlikely going to won't want to risk problems, especially in contests or badge flights. And adding to the pilot workload and distractions to do stuff and then check things are working in a thermal off tow or maybe a pre-start gaggle is a bad idea. Turning down the volume seems a much better idea. Or even better put that PowerFLARM in the towplane and hopefully the issue just goes away.

--
Dan, 5J
Old June 3rd 18, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 4:10:36 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 3:44:54 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:

Yes, but to be clear, that can't display on Foreflight (a just *wonderful* GA app), which was the original question. And since he already has an Oudie and C302 I know what I'd be doing... adding a PowerFLARM and K6 Mux and possibly a Flarmview display.

Now if only SeeYou Mobile ran on an iPhone I'd care more using those (OK I said that just to annoy Jon). :-)

SeeYou mobil runs on an iPhone just about as usefully as it runs on an Oudie or an Android phone.