relative climb performance

Old September 14th 05, 06:12 PM

Default relative climb performance

Q. All the gliders below join the same thermal at
2000 feet. In which order will they reach 5000 feet.
Discuss.

LS7
Discus
ASW19
DG300
Libelle
ASW20
LS6

John

Old September 14th 05, 06:36 PM
Lars Peder Hansen

Depends a lot on the nature of the thermal. Weak, crummy, narrow and
turbolent ones favor some gliders while strong, wide & steady ones favor
other types. -And then, of course, it depends on the wing loading, some
types are good climbers at other wing loading ranges than others.

- Actually, the above is just useless theory. In the real World, the Libelle
always climbs better than anything you can throw at it ;-)

/Lars Peder

Old September 14th 05, 07:32 PM
Andy

To have any meaningful discussion you'll need to specify the wing
(big, smooth, small, turbulent etc.).

Without that input I'd assume that the glider with the lowest wing

On the other hand I often outclimbed lighter loaded Libelles with my
ASW 19. In tight and/or broken thermals pilot technique can override
the differences in gliders.

Andy

Old September 14th 05, 08:28 PM

OK, assume standard British 2 knot thermals. Gliders
have no water in. Thermals are small but smooth.

Reason for the question....I can get L info off the
net, but not climb data...

John

At 18:36 14 September 2005, Andy wrote:
To have any meaningful discussion you'll need to specify
the wing
of the thermal
(big, smooth, small, turbulent etc.).

Without that input I'd assume that the glider with
the lowest wing
the Libelle?

Old September 14th 05, 08:45 PM
Bob Kuykendall

Q. All the gliders below join the same thermal at
2000 feet. In which order will they reach 5000 feet.

The one being flown by the pilot who considers it "their thermal."

Old September 14th 05, 09:01 PM
Andy

Minimum sink speed and minimum sink rate should provide some clues.
That data should be available. The stronger the thermal the more pilot
technique overrides small difference in glider sink. In large weak
thermals almost nothing will prevent the lower sink rate glider
climbing better and topping out higher. That effect is obvous, and
frustrating to the low pilot, at contest pre-start gaggles when the max
start height is greater than top of lift.

Andy

Old September 17th 05, 07:04 PM

to have a REALLY meaningful discussion you should have added a pilot
name next to each ship.
BJS

Old September 17th 05, 07:21 PM

Thanks Eric !