gear up landing: "There are those who have, and..."

Old January 27th 05, 07:22 PM
gatt

"George Patterson" wrote in message

One of the AOPA Pilot writers put it very well. He wrote that, if this

statement
were actually true, the best thing for someone transitioning to

retractable gear
would be to do a gear-up landing immediately and get it over with.

Thanks, George! I can't wait to tell the CFI that's what I want to do this
afternoon. :

-c

Old January 27th 05, 07:25 PM
gatt

wrote in message

Was told this by a guest instructor. I'm not at all comfortable with

this.

My thought is that such fatalistic thinking serves no purpose
whatsoever. Surely there are better teaching tools than "Just accept
the inevitable".

This was the same instructor who said "To your detriment, you remembered to
do your third GUMPS check on final...."

I'm thinking it's time to go back to my regular instructor.

-c

Old January 27th 05, 07:43 PM
steve.t

In every complex aircraft I've been in, there is a gear warning horn.
Most of them (Cessna) are set to sound when the manifold or RPM drops
beyond a certain point. Makes certain manuovers a bit noisy at
altitude.

And I've heard of an "accidental" gear up landing involving a part 12*
carrier!

And then there is the goofy light problem. If you get two greens, now
what do you do?

I was told, if possible, pull one of the lights that is working and put
it in the one that isn't lit and see if it lights (this is for
locations where no one is on the ground to tell you if you have three
down -- but how would they know it isn't locked?).
Later,
Steve.T
PP ASEL/Instrument

Old January 27th 05, 09:27 PM

Maule Driver wrote:
snip
A corollary: "Whatever your method for remembering to get the gear

down,
remember no method is foolproof."

I think you hit the nail on the head. Rather than being fatalistic,
it's more of a warning that it can happen to anyone if their attention
is diverted at a critical moment.

snip
There's always SOMETHING that can screw up your short final planning
(e.g. bird strike, a streaker) and cause you to forget. If you

haven't
seen that SOMETHING yet, just keep living.

That's the key. I've seen gear-ups performed by retractable newbies
and 10,000+ hr. pilots. A combination of distractions at the right
time can sink the best of them. When I based at PHX, I once watched a
commercial 737 come down short final with the gear up. They were
coming back around for the second time after going around for traffic
on the runway. While on the go around, they reported a problem with an
engine indicator. It distracted them enough that they missed putting
the gear down. Fortunately, the tower caught it and let them know and
they went around again.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old January 27th 05, 10:57 PM
Scott D.

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:22:56 -0800, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

I would guess that among those who participate in this newsgroup there are
only one or two (if that many) who have done the deed. The saying is a good
motivator, but hardly a prediction of things to come. IMHO saying
(internally) something like "three greens" at least twice before short final
should eliminate the possibility of landing gear up. Worked for me.

Bob Gardner

When I was first transitioning into a twin, I got into a sim to also
work on instrument procedures as well. During that time, I "Geared
Up" the simulator. It made a horrible sound. To this day, when I
fly, even if I am in a fixed gear aircraft, I always check the gear,
because I will always remember that sound. You will find me checking
the gear a minimum of 3 times and if the work load seems to be busy, I
will check it up to 5 times.

When I teach complex to students, I also make them check it at least 3
times. If we are in the pattern, it is on downwind, Base and final.
If we are coming straight in, its when we start slowing it down for
approach speed, so I usually call for 10 degrees flaps then gear down
within gear extension speed. Then about 2 miles out, and then again
on final. I also make sure that I, or the student, keep my hand on
the gear extension handle while the gear is in transit and once I see
the green lights, I call, 3 greens, red light out, and one in the
mirror (If it has a mirror). I also will pull the throttles back and
do a gear horn check to make sure that it does not sound.

Scott D

To email remove spamcatcher
Old January 27th 05, 11:04 PM
Dudley Henriques

"gatt" wrote in message

"...those who will forgot to lower their landing gear."

Was told this by a guest instructor. I'm not at all comfortable with
this.

Thoughts?

The "secret" in proving this prophecy false is called a "consistent
habit pattern"
You should naturally always perform a pre-landing checklist for the
airplane you're flying, and in addition, I always tacked on an extra
check that I completed on final REGARDLESS of all other checks
completed, and that check was a GUMP touch and verify check redone on
final. There are pilots who would be satisfied with the execution of a
normal pre-landing checklist done at the "proper" time. I am not one of
those pilots! I do the pre-landing checklist, then I double check with
an extra GUMP check TRIGGERED by my being on final.
There will be times when you will be interrupted or distracted DURING a
pre-landing checklist procedure. It could be ATC asking you for
something, or directing you to do something. It could be a fly on the
windshield becoming an airplane heading right at you at your altitude.
It could be anything! One split second's distraction away from the
checklist has caused many an accident that could have been prevented by
a simple triggered final abbreviated re-check on final.
On final, I ALWAYS made that one last GUMP check......out loud to
myself........YOU SAY ITYOU TOUCH ITAND YOU VERIFY IT'S
RIGHT
EVERY TIME.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
for private email; make necessary changes between ( )
dhenriques(at)(delete all this)earthlink(dot)net

Old January 27th 05, 11:17 PM

Daniel L. Lieberman wrote:

Has anyone heard of an accidental gear up landing during a part 135
operation? I believe the PTS requirement for the Commercial Checkride

of
using an appropriate check list helps prevent this problem. Also

there is -
at least in a 172RG - a gear up warning horn.

Frontier Air did it at least once in Wyoming with a 737. Ground both
pods down beyond the centelines. Bolted a couple of new pylons and
engines on a few days later and flew it home for a major inspection.
Both flight crew were fired.

Craig C.

Old January 28th 05, 01:45 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"gatt" wrote:

"...those who will forgot to lower their landing gear."

Was told this by a guest instructor. I'm not at all comfortable with this.

Thoughts?

-c

About 40 years ago, I was at the old North American surplus store
(looking out over the approach to LAX) and saw a DC-4 on short final
(about 100 feet in the air) with gear up. As they passed, I saw the
mains and nose gear drop into position.

Five years ago, during our annual bonfire here at Spruce Creek, with
about 1000 people as witnesses, a Cessna P210 did a gear up landing in
front of everybody. I was talking to some friends when I heard "Thump!
Thump! Thump!, scraaaaape!) and turned to see the P210 sliding to a
halt. That was one expensive evening's entertainment!
Old January 28th 05, 01:47 AM
Blueskies

"Maule Driver" wrote in message . com...
I've always understood the message in that saying to be, "never think you've become so proficient that you are not
subject to leaving the gear up" Not fatalistic but a warning to the wise.

A corollary: "Whatever your method for remembering to get the gear down, remember no method is foolproof."

Bob G said that "IMHO saying (internally) something like "three greens" at least twice before short final should
eliminate the possibility of landing gear up. Worked for me." I'd say, "so far..." with considerable respect Bob..

There's always SOMETHING that can screw up your short final planning (e.g. bird strike, a streaker) and cause you to
forget. If you haven't seen that SOMETHING yet, just keep living.

I almost did it in my glider despite a foolproof method that worked for 1000 hours and hundreds of non-standard
patterns and landings. Fortunately it happened during a contest and an observant ground crew radioed me 10 feet off
the ground.

P-3 in Hawaii shooting low approaches into Lihue airport on Kauai. They decided to do one all the way down to landing,
and you guessed it. The airport was closed the rest of the day while they got it off the runway...