OSH '07 Redux -- Part III -- The People & the Party

Old July 29th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default OSH '07 Redux -- Part III -- The People & the Party

The People and the Party
Having flown in together, we camped with a great group of folks, many
from the rec.aviation groups, as well as the Cherokee Chat. The
daily ritual soon settled into a pattern, with some of us eating a big
breakfast off-field at either LeSeur's or the Hilton, skipping lunch,
and then getting back together for "cocktail hour" to watch arrivals
and departures. Then, after the last arrival/departure, dinner would
be at Friar Tuck's or the Charcoal Pit. Being camped near the fence
line made getting to these excellent restaurants a snap, especially
after we bought our bikes on the second day.

Although it was usually not possible to get seated together - waiting
for a "table for 13" during AirVenture is a good weight-loss strategy
- it was fantastic having a fun and knowledgeable group of folks to
visit with. We thoroughly enjoyed our time together, and it seems
very strange to know that I won't be seeing y'all for dinner tonight!

As always, Montblack and Jim & Tami Burns were the key players in the
Wednesday Night HOPS Party. With off-field transportation (and, this
year, Montblack even had a REAL pass to drive onto the field - no more
schmoozing the gate guards!), we were able to obtain everything
necessary for a great party, from tables and chairs to food and drink,
without too much trouble.

Unfortunately, the heaviest rains of the week swept through right
before the party began, forcing everyone under cover. (Jim & Tami
ended up sitting in our tent back-to-back, huddled together with us
until the storm passed.) This discouraged a fair number of
attendees, I'm sure, but the rain ended (thankfully!) and we still had
anywhere from 30 to 50 people (no one really counted, and people came
and went).

We know it was a healthy crowd, as we had to make a food run half-way
through the evening (this year was sub sandwiches and KFC chicken!) -
but I have spoken with quite a few folks who simply didn't want to get
doused and stayed away that evening.

Jim Burns, evil man that he is, pulled out a bottle of Bombay Gin, and
proceeded to whip up some marvelously tasty (and quite deadly) gin &
tonics. Many folks brought GREAT beer from their home bases, so we
(of course!) had to sample each and every one of them.
Needless to say, the night went by too quickly, and everyone had a
great time!

Things that were messed up
After the 2006 arrival fiasco, 2007 was an exercise in precision and
coordination. In fact, our arrival was almost easy.

Nonetheless, I felt terrible for the arrivals who tried to get into
the field after the Mustang accident Friday, because (for reasons
known only to them) the powers-that-be decided to accept NO arrivals
into OSH that evening.

That would be none. Zero. Zip. I simply can't imagine how many guys
got off work early Friday afternoon, planning to spend the weekend at
AirVenture, and ended up endlessly holding over Rush Lake - only to be
told, nope, you can't come in. Hell, even the EAA Photo Plane got
caught in the air, and was told to land somewhere else.

Now I understand that a fatal accident on the main runway (18/36) is a
problem - but OSH has TWO main runways, located (literally) miles
apart. The tower reported that the reason for the decision was
because fire equipment was tied up at the crash site, and wouldn't be
available if needed on Rwy 27 (and they had a broken-down fire truck,
too), but this seemed pretty lame. The fire at the accident scene had
been extinguished within five minutes of the incident, hours earlier,
and equipment was certainly no longer needed there after they had
hauled the wreckage away.

At first the tower announced that the airport was closed for the night
to both arrivals *and* departures. Imagine, if you will, having
taken down your campsite, loaded your plane, and sat in line to leave
when you are told that, nope, you've got to spend another night in
OSH! I can't imagine what we would do. (I'd probably just lay my
sleeping bag under the wing...)

Needless to say, airport management ultimately relented and allowed
departures on Rwy 27. In a mass exodus that exceeded even Oshkosh's
standards, they launched one every few seconds for close to an hour
before the back-log was depleted.

And, in what was certainly the coolest departure of the week, the Air
Force C-17 cargo plane was forced to depart on Rwy 27, right over our
tent. He only used half the runway, but it was awesome to have a
plane that size fly over, and the gang - by now firmly ensconced in
"Cocktail Hour" - cheered as he flew over.

Annoyances and Trivia
For the third year in a row, someone with a bean up their butt about
EAA (or pilots in general) decided it would be great fun to drive the
perimeter of the airport with his horn button depressed. This
wouldn't be so bad in the daytime, but he performed this exercise
between 4:30 and 6 AM, daily. Needless to say, we campers were not
amused.

We learned long ago to wear earplugs while camping at OSH, but we were
so close to the road this year that they were only marginally
effective against a car horn. So we simply adapted to the fact that
this was our call to hit the porta-potties, and go back to sleep.

One morning, unable to sleep, I resolved to catch the *******.
Standing on my wing at 5 AM, holding my camera (and freezing to death
- it was the one cold morning this year), I lay in wait...

Suddenly, a car stopped, the door opened, and a guy stood up and
started yelling "Hey Iowa is THAT-away! How ya doin', Jay? Great
week, no?"

He was yelling this at the top of his lungs, and I was mortified,
surrounded as I was by no-longer-sleeping campers -- so I started
waving the "Shush!" signal, but he didn't get the message and kept
yelling. Not knowing what else to do, I finally turned my back on
him, and he drove away - and I never *did* catch that damned horn
blower! (And all I know is the shouter's name was "Larry"
something. Larry, if you're reading this, that was one of the Top Ten
Stupid Things I've ever seen at OSH.)

Scooters and golf carts (or "IGICS", as in Idiots In Golf Carts") were
the bane of Oshkosh yet again. I don't mind carts for the
handicapped, but all week long we only saw a handful of disabled
pilots riding the grounds, while the rest were simply too obese to
walk. I know America is getting bigger, but if I have another
scooter pilot run up on my heels in those big, crowded exhibit halls,
I'm gonna disconnect the battery.

The biggest "Ass of the Week" award, though, has to go the driver of a
"Border Patrol" SUV who simply double parked his truck right in front
of the tram, smack in the middle of the tram path, and left it
unattended. I wouldn't have blamed the tram driver if he had kicked
the guys' door as he inched his way around the moron.

The main road around the North 40 continues to deteriorate. It's
only used for the show, I suppose, but the potholes and cracks are
getting pretty severe. The buses are forced to slow down in parts,
and riding a bike with thin tires is pretty scary, especially in the
dark. I hope they can get a grant to patch that road before next
year.

Attendance early in the week appeared to be very strong, with the
North 40 camping area reaching saturation by Tuesday. By mid week,
however, many people were leaving, and (unlike in past years) there
was no "Second Wave" of arrivals to take their place. Our group
slowly dwindled through the week, and we never had any "new neighbors"
- an indication, perhaps, that the "hard core" flyers are still out
there, but the "sorta-want-to-be-there" folks being put off by the
fuel prices? (Some years we've had three different neighbors, as "in-
filling" the campground took place. Not this year.)

The Bonanzas to OSH group continued to demonstrate their coherence
with a big turnout. They even had a STAGE set up in the North 40, for
cookouts and karaoke nights. Many of us could live without the
latter, as it went too late into the night - but that's what ear plugs
are for...

Although they're a fun bunch, they also demonstrated that they're
largely an urban lot, as we saw prop locks (in the North 40!) and
chain locks in their group. Kinda sad.

Kids and young people were EVERYWHERE at OSH this year, which was
wonderful to see. Just look at our group - three of us brought our
kids, ranging in age from 8 to 16 - to see the future of general
aviation is perhaps more secure than I've feared.

To be continued...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 30th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 7/29/2007 3:20:44 PM, Jay Honeck wrote:

Our group
slowly dwindled through the week, and we never had any "new neighbors"
- an indication, perhaps, that the "hard core" flyers are still out
there, but the "sorta-want-to-be-there" folks being put off by the
fuel prices?

Umm, no. At least one of us self-employed types had conflicting work
commitments. Can't always use the excuse that the largest aviation event in
the country supersedes a vice president's timeline.

--
Peter
Old July 30th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Annoyances and Trivia
For the third year in a row, someone with a bean up their butt about
EAA (or pilots in general) decided it would be great fun to drive the
perimeter of the airport with his horn button depressed. This
wouldn't be so bad in the daytime, but he performed this exercise
between 4:30 and 6 AM, daily. Needless to say, we campers were not
amused.

That was probably my ex-brother. He has lived in Oshkosh for the
past 20 years and hates the Pobereznys and the EAA. A real jerk.

Regards,
Jerry

Old July 31st 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

That was probably my ex-brother. He has lived in Oshkosh for the
past 20 years and hates the Pobereznys and the EAA. A real jerk.

Why would anyone hate EAA?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 31st 07, 11:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Why would anyone hate EAA?
--

He hates the fact that the city spends money to support the EAA and
the fly-in (widening roads, etc.). Also the upset that the influx of

Old July 31st 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Why would anyone hate EAA?

He hates the fact that the city spends money to support the EAA and
the fly-in (widening roads, etc.). Also the upset that the influx of
people causes. No acknowledgment of the $$$ that the show brings in.

I'm from Wisconsin, and have watched as heavy industry has slowly
moved away over the last 30 years. This has caused terrible
hardships, and -- after reading the Oshkosh Northwestern all last week
-- it's easy to see that Oshkosh has been hit hard, too.

Heck, Racine -- my hometown -- has unemployment that is DOUBLE what it
is here in Iowa City. (Of course, it's half of what it was back in
the '80s -- we shouldn't lose sight of that -- but it's still awful.)

For someone to be ****ed off at what most people see as Oshkosh's
saving grace -- the EAA -- in the face of all that economic upheaval,
goes well beyond being a "jerk".
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 31st 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hawkeye[_2_]

On Jul 30, 10:37 pm, Jay Honeck wrote:
That was probably my ex-brother. He has lived in Oshkosh for the
past 20 years and hates the Pobereznys and the EAA. A real jerk.

Why would anyone hate EAA?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

What burned the butt of many tax payers in Winnebago County was that
when EAA was undergoing its expansion of the grounds as we now see
them was that farmers were forced to sell they're properties to make
room for vehicle parking. The county condemned their land taking away
their livelihood and ability to capitalize on EAA by collecting fees
to park on their land. EAA also locked the use of the county own land
from use by outsiders. At the time of this expansion they were
constructing a new fair grounds which gets used as infrequent as the
EAA grounds. Citizens were asking why both couldn't be accommodated on
the county properties around the airport. Why pay for two
developments?

Over the years EAA has let other organizations utilize the properties,
both theirs and county for events. Ducks Unlimited, Agriculture Trade
Show, and a couple others. It seemed every dollar was being spent on
EAA. Granted the return on the investment was good, but other large
organizations could also bring in a return on that same investment had
they also had access to those properties. A national RV club had
organized a national convention to be held on the grounds only to be
told at the last possible minute 'sorry you can't' so they took their
event south into Illinois along with their $$$.

Oshkosh has failed to keep scheduled airline service. Granted Appleton
is just 15 miles away and Green Bay 60. The small companies and Fox
Valley Technical School Aviation Program (on the field) that call
Oshkosh home don't justify the size and the scope of the services
provided at Wittman. EAA's AirVenture 2007 needs the space and
amenities but getting a major airframe manufacturer to setup
operations here would be a kick in the financial pants. Gulfstream has
a large finishing facility in Appleton. Oshkosh needs a similar
facility.

The news of further expansion is being better received because it will
occur on properties already under EAA and County control. If more
events could be held on the grounds, it would be a benefit for all
involved and create a steady flow of income spread over a longer
period of time. The peak of income during EAA is great for business,
but a few more large events would help even more. Who knows, maybe EAA
could use the monies raised by renting facilities, to offset their
expansion and operational expenses...now theres a thought.

And finally for some, the little town becomes a big city when all
these folks flood into the area. Some embrace it and enjoy it, others
are upset just because thats the way they are...cranky, narrow minded
and short sighted.

You have to live in a community to understand the issues that move the
people who live there. You only get to see and hear the surface of an
issue while you visit.

Old July 31st 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

And, in what was certainly the coolest departure of the week, the Air
Force C-17 cargo plane was forced to depart on Rwy 27, right over our
tent. He only used half the runway, but it was awesome to have a
plane that size fly over, and the gang - by now firmly ensconced in
"Cocktail Hour" - cheered as he flew over.

Jay,

I saw the C-17 depart as I was waiting to take a bus back from the
Charcoal pit to go see Apollo 13. Mike and I were invited to the
Kitfox dinner at the Charcoal pit since we flew into Osh in a Kitfox.

We tried to find the HOPS party on Wednesday, but they closed the
locator building just as we got to the bus stop, so we looked for a
sign from the bus but weren't sure which group of revelers we saw were
you.

Dean Wilkinson
AeroLEDs LLC
www.aeroleds.com

Old July 31st 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom McQuinn

Jay Honeck wrote:
The main road around the North 40 continues to deteriorate. It's
only used for the show, I suppose, but the potholes and cracks are
getting pretty severe. The buses are forced to slow down in parts,
and riding a bike with thin tires is pretty scary, especially in the
dark. I hope they can get a grant to patch that road before next
year.

I was buying my bike as you all were finishing up (I got their number
too). I wondered what made you choose the bike with the skinny tires
when you could have had the one I got! You seemed rushed and I needed
to be somewhere so I didn't get a chance to talk to you. Several times
as I was riding over those 'asphalt ditches' I wondered those tires were
working for you.

Tom
Old August 4th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
With off-field transportation (and, this year, Montblack even had a REAL
pass to drive onto the field - no more schmoozing the gate guards!), we
were able to obtain everything necessary for a great party, from tables
and chairs to food and drink, without too much trouble.

Our guard knows us, after 5 years - and knows that Wednesday evening will
NOT be 'bologna sandwich from home' night for him! To the rec.aviation N40
(H.O.P.S.) crew, he said "Thank You" for the KFC. g

I know America is getting bigger, but if I have another scooter pilot run
up on my heels in those big, crowded exhibit halls, I'm gonna disconnect
the battery.

You're talking about motorized wheel-chairs.

http://powersports.honda.com/the_story/heritage/heritage_milestone.asp?Decade=1980&TargetUrl=Miles tone/Milestone_Model_0106.asp
This is a scooter! :-)

Paul-Mont