Are 100% electric ultralights around?

Old November 18th 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
YouHelpBuild.com

Default Are 100% electric ultralights around?

On Nov 17, 8:10 pm, Lou wrote:
http://www.electraflyer.com/

I always get a giggle when I read some of the responses from this
kinda stuff... but every once in a while I get ANSWERS!!! kudos
Lou... thanks!
Old November 18th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"YouHelpBuild.com" wrote in message
On Nov 17, 8:10 pm, Lou wrote:
http://www.electraflyer.com/

I always get a giggle when I read some of the responses from this
kinda stuff...

Frankly, your question gave me some giggles.

Vaughn

Old November 18th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
TerryJ

"Lou" wrote in message
http://www.electraflyer.com/

And http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Pb_...eature=related

Old November 18th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"TerryJ" suptjudatcomcastdotnet wrote in message
. ..

"Lou" wrote in message
http://www.electraflyer.com/

And http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Pb_...eature=related

Hardy practical.

He said it has about an hour of normal flight. If running wide open, 18
minutes.

That means to have a legal 30 minute reserve, he can only fly for 30 minutes
in cruise, and 9 minutes wide open.

Let me know when they have a combination that can cruise for 4 hours at 65%
power.

That will be when the orders start coming in. Until then, it's all
publicity stunt.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 19th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"Morgans" wrote in message

Hardy practical.

I agree. Also, that wingspan-challenged thing is exactly the wrong airframe
for a power plant with only 18 minutes of full power fuel. They should be using
something with a lot less drag, something that looks a whole lot more like a
motorglider.

Vaughn

Old November 19th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
J.Kahn

Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in message
Hardy practical.

I agree. Also, that wingspan-challenged thing is exactly the wrong airframe
for a power plant with only 18 minutes of full power fuel. They should be using
something with a lot less drag, something that looks a whole lot more like a
motorglider.

Vaughn

Oh geez. No imagination at all... The electric motor glider has
already been done. The Sonex powerplant is a development test bed for
a normal aircraft engine. Nobody is trying to sell it yet.

That we are now at the point where a tiny DC motor can put out 75hp, and
a battery that fits under that small cowling can make 50 hp for an hour,
is absolutely astonishing. In 1990 the idea would be considered
preposterous.

The only obstacle now for a viable commercial product is capacity and
charge time. The sweet spot I'd say is a 3 hour minimum endurance, and
a 30 min charge time. That will come sooner or later as battery
technology advances, probably in the next 5 years.

John
Old November 19th 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Drew Dalgleish

Hardy practical.

He said it has about an hour of normal flight. If running wide open, 18
minutes.

That means to have a legal 30 minute reserve, he can only fly for 30 minutes
in cruise, and 9 minutes wide open.

Let me know when they have a combination that can cruise for 4 hours at 65%
power.

That will be when the orders start coming in. Until then, it's all
publicity stunt.
--
Jim in NC

Jim I don't think that 30 minutes reserve is part of the 103
regulations. Personally I think this has huge potential as a
motorglider. I gave up hang gliding 20 years ago cuz I live in the
flatlands of southern ontario but I could easily see this plane in my
future.
Old November 19th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Drew Dalgleish

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 00:44:10 GMT, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:

"Morgans" wrote in message

Hardy practical.

I agree. Also, that wingspan-challenged thing is exactly the wrong airframe
for a power plant with only 18 minutes of full power fuel. They should be using
something with a lot less drag, something that looks a whole lot more like a
motorglider.

Vaughn

It's a hang glider wing. Very light meets 103 regs and very practical.
Old November 19th 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

J.Kahn wrote:
Vaughn Simon wrote:

"Morgans" wrote in message

Hardy practical.

I agree. Also, that wingspan-challenged thing is exactly the wrong
airframe for a power plant with only 18 minutes of full power fuel.
They should be using something with a lot less drag, something that
looks a whole lot more like a motorglider.

Vaughn

Oh geez. No imagination at all... The electric motor glider has
already been done. The Sonex powerplant is a development test bed for
a normal aircraft engine. Nobody is trying to sell it yet.

For good reasons...

That we are now at the point where a tiny DC motor can put out 75hp, and
a battery that fits under that small cowling can make 50 hp for an hour,
is absolutely astonishing. In 1990 the idea would be considered
preposterous.

I think you inhaled some of the magic smoke here, but if you can provide
a cite, I'll read it.

The only obstacle now for a viable commercial product is capacity and
charge time. The sweet spot I'd say is a 3 hour minimum endurance, and
a 30 min charge time. That will come sooner or later as battery
technology advances, probably in the next 5 years.

di-unobtanium-oxide?

John

Old November 19th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

J.Kahn wrote:

Oh geez. No imagination at all... The electric motor glider has
already been done. The Sonex powerplant is a development test bed
for a normal aircraft engine. Nobody is trying to sell it yet.

It's never flown before even in a limited test. As best as I can tell it has
not even taxied. If battery power were the onlything holding it up it seems
it would have at least gotten into ground effect over the runway.

That we are now at the point where a tiny DC motor can put out 75hp,
and a battery that fits under that small cowling can make 50 hp for
an hour, is absolutely astonishing. In 1990 the idea would be
considered preposterous.

Are we? Really?

The only obstacle now for a viable commercial product is capacity and
charge time. The sweet spot I'd say is a 3 hour minimum endurance,
and a 30 min charge time. That will come sooner or later as battery
technology advances, probably in the next 5 years.

5 years! What makes you think that since over the last 10 we haven't
improved batteries that much?