Airparks near Austin TX

Old December 10th 04, 04:24 AM
zatatime

On 9 Dec 2004 18:20:21 -0800, "Andy" wrote:

Hear, hear.

Lakeway is victimizing general avation pilots with a vicious scam,
reference twilight arrivals. They play games with determining the
latest allowable landing times, have their own police assess a $1,200
fine.

The court is rigged in Lakeway's favor, sad to say.
General aviation pilots should avoid Lakeway!

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if it isn't in the A/FD isn't it a
non-issue? Not that it helps you fight the ticket, but how is one to
know the hours if they aren't published somewhere?

Old December 10th 04, 04:27 AM
Michael 182

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hear, hear.

Lakeway is victimizing general avation pilots with a vicious scam,
reference twilight arrivals. They play games with determining the
latest allowable landing times, have their own police assess a $1,200
fine.

The court is rigged in Lakeway's favor, sad to say.
General aviation pilots should avoid Lakeway!

Given that Lakeway is largely a locals airport, I'm not sure that they would
care if GA pilots avoid them. There is no FBO counting on business from
transients.

Obviously they take the sunset to sunrise rule very seriously. Instead of
avoiding the airport, why not just avoid the times they give out tickets?

In any case, if you are going to Austin, AUS is simple to get in and out of,
has an ILS on every runway, and has a great FBO (Trajen). Fuel is a little
expensive, but no worse than most Class C airports. Controllers are
friendly as well.

Michael

Old January 10th 05, 05:42 PM
Russ

I landed 15 minutes before sunset and got a $1200 ticket. The court
system is like Judge Roy Beans kangaroo court. I would completely stay
away or at least carry the official sunset time(which I had) and land
at the airport 1 hour before sunset. It would be great if GA pilots
wrote the City of Lakeway and declare the airport community persona non
grata to GA traffic. It should effect the property values at least
around the airport. I had witnesses but none of the lawyers will
attack the Lakeway Court system because of their reputation.

Old October 3rd 05, 07:19 AM
ssbn608 ssbn608 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
It should effect the property values at least around the airport.
Well, I know that this horrendous fine is one reason why I didn't buy in Lakeway. We are moving back to Texas, and we were really interested in a house at Lakeway (which DID have an attached hangar/garage, by the way). When I found out about the "runway closed at sundown" rule, in conjunction with the huge fine, we went looking elsewhere. I would be frequently making trips where I would arrive about 10pm, so Lakeway just wouldn't work for me. I was told that when they are arriving late, people just divert to AUS, and take a taxi home (expensive, I would think, but less than the fine).

We found airporthomes.com to be useful, as they have a map of airparks in the Austin area ( http://www.airporthomes.com/ap-tx.htm ). We ended up buying in Kestrel Airpark, and hope to build soon. It did take quite a long time to drive from Southwest Austin (where my cousin's house is) through the 3:30-4:00 pm traffic out of Austin to get down to New Braunfels, and then over to Kestrel Airpark, well over an hour. It was, like, an hour just to get to Buda. Traffic in Austin is ...BLECH nowadays. Not like when I was a kid 35 years ago.

We also looked at Horseshoe Bay, which is about 47 miles west of southwest Austin, but it's about an hour and a quarter commute.
Old October 3rd 05, 03:18 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
ssbn608 wrote:

Russ Wrote:
It should effect the property values at least around the airport.

Well, I know that this horrendous fine is one reason why I didn't buy
in Lakeway. We are moving back to Texas, and we were really interested
in a house at Lakeway (which DID have an attached hangar/garage, by the
way). When I found out about the "runway closed at sundown" rule, in
conjunction with the huge fine, we went looking elsewhere. I would be
frequently making trips where I would arrive about 10pm, so Lakeway
just wouldn't work for me. I was told that when they are arriving
late, people just divert to AUS, and take a taxi home (expensive, I
would think, but less than the fine).

It was like that 20-some years ago, when wwe were looking at relocating
to Austin. We visited Lakeway and, essentially, got the cold shoulder
when we inquired about the airport and hangar homes there. All they
appeared to be interested in was tennis, in which we had no interest.

We found airporthomes.com to be useful, as they have a map of airparks
in the Austin area ( http://www.airporthomes.com/ap-tx.htm ). We ended
up buying in Kestrel Airpark, and hope to build soon. It did take quite
a long time to drive from Southwest Austin (where my cousin's house is)
through the 3:30-4:00 pm traffic out of Austin to get down to New
Braunfels, and then over to Kestrel Airpark, well over an hour. It
was, like, an hour just to get to Buda. Traffic in Austin is ...BLECH
nowadays. Not like when I was a kid 35 years ago.

We also looked at Horseshoe Bay, which is about 47 miles west of
southwest Austin, but it's about an hour and a quarter commute.

Austin, Texas, Scam Snares Unwary Pilots Andy Shane General Aviation 5 December 22nd 04 10:23 PM
Austin, TX James Blakely Owning 18 December 11th 04 09:22 PM
I love you Chris Austin - no story - just memories Treadhead9 General Aviation 0 July 15th 04 04:53 AM