Help needed with communication between a Colibri and IPAQ

Old February 13th 10, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Help needed with communication between a Colibri and IPAQ

I need help with getting a Colibri logger to communicate with an IPAQ.

I can get the Colibri to send data to the IPAQ to work with WinPilot
and I can get WinPilot to send a declaration to the Colibri, but I can
not get any software to work to allow me to download a flight from the
Colibri to the IPAQ.

System I am using:

Colibri, Hardware version 2.0, software version 3.00.
IPAQ 3950 (I have used two different IPAQ’s with same result).

I have wired the TX from the Colibri to the RX of the IPAQ and visa
versa.

The data flows fine from the Colibri to the IPAQ and has been tested
with WinPilot TTY and StrePla.

With WinPliot I can declare a flight to the Colibri. At 4800 baud on
both the Colibri beeps, shows connect at 4800 baud and the data
transfers.

With ConnectMe and ConnectLX (2.17) I get nothing or the software
locks up.

With StrePla Connect I get “connect at 4800 baud”, no beep from the
Colibri and the software does not recognize the logger is there.

With the serial cable and LXe I can upload and download to a Windows
XP computer without any problems.

Any help would be appreciated. Does anyone have a Colibri with
software 3.00 that is working to download the flights to a PDA?
Old February 13th 10, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Tim,

I'm not sure if this will help, but you may want to try doing the flight log
download at 19200 baud. I seem to recall (maybe) that the Colibri sends GPS
data at 4800 baud but does flight log downloads at 19200 baud.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old February 14th 10, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chris[_3_]

I have been using an ipaq 3950 with an older (only serial port)
Colibri for some time now. ConnectMe can work easily sometimes and
others times be a pain. One thing that seems to help is cycle the
'Device type' between 'Colibri, LX20...Posigraph' and 'LX4000,LX5000...
(L04 Logger)'. For me the Colibri will eventually connect and start
beeping. Also unplugging the Colibri and starting it up again can
help. Sometimes it takes doing a soft rest on the PDA as well. I can
always get it to work with a bit of patience.

Chris

Old February 14th 10, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the suggestion, it got me going in the correct direction at
least with Pocket StrePla-Connect. I had been connecting directly
through Pocket StrePla and did not realize that the Pocket StrePla-
Connect had settings for baud that were different from Pocket
StrePla. I connected at 19,200 and then was able to set it to 4800.
I can now download flights from the Colibri.

The odd thing is that ConnectMe and sister program ConnectLX will not
work at all. They both lock up and will not communicate with the
Colibri at all. If anyone has gotten these program to work I would
like to here how it was done. I think they would be best in the long
run but glad that the StrePla program worked.

Old February 14th 10, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Feb 13, 6:03*pm, chris wrote:
[...]

Chris,

Thanks I will give your suggestions a try. See my note above about
Pocket Strepla Connect (also free from StrePla), it worked very well
without problems for downloading. May be the best solution for the
older Colibri's. I also found that you must wait until the Colibri
switches from Run to Stop mode before trying to download. This can be
several minutes after you stop moving.
Old February 14th 10, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lars Peder Hansen

Tim,

Are you sure that no other program is running and using the COM port?
Remember on a PDA programs do not stop if you just close them by clicking
the cross.

Try to do a soft reset, start _only_ConnectMe and see what happens.

I used to have this Colibri-PDA combo, and it worked like a charm, with
SeeYou Mobile and ConnectMe.
Pauls observations about the Colibri preferring 19.200 for download matches
my experience

Good luck,
Lars Peder

DG-600, Denmark

Old February 15th 10, 09:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Basil

In my experience LX connect will work at any speed except 4800. If I
changed the collibri to 9600 it downloaded fine. Bit of a nuisance as
winpilot will only work at 4800.

Old February 16th 10, 08:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Feb 15, 2:48*am, Basil wrote:
In my experience LX connect will work at any speed except 4800. *If I
changed the collibri to 9600 it downloaded fine. *Bit of a nuisance as
winpilot will only work at 4800.

Thanks to everyone for hints and suggestions! I am glad I did this on
the work bench and not in the glider.

After several days of playing with the system I have found that both
ConnectMe (ConnectLX is the same with only LX drivers) and Pocket
StrePla Connect will work at 4800 baud.

Pocket StrePla Connect is by far more reliable and has better error
handling so it does not lock up. The only negative is it produces
a .FIL file type rather than an .igc file when downloading the data to
the PDA with a Colibri.

ConnectMe will work but requires fiddling to get it to connect
sometimes and works perfectly other times. It is more prone to
locking up the PDA and requiring a reset. The positive is it does
translate the files into an .igc file when downloading to the PDA.

I will likely keep both programs on the IPAQ and use ConnectMe as the
main program as long as it works and use Pocket StrePla Connect as a
backup if I can't get ConnectMe to cooperate.