Brantly B2

Old May 13th 04, 01:49 PM
Davdirect

I agree with you about watching the tip path, being careful, approaching from
the right place,etc. however to untrained passengers I could see where this
could be a problem, thats all.
Dave
davdirect
Old May 13th 04, 02:47 PM
helopilot

I've owned both the Exec 162F and the B2B. There were many times when
the RW had two adults and 3/4 fuel that it didn't have enough power to
maintain a hover. The RW does not out perform the Brantly in anything.
I liked the RW a lot and put 110 hours on mine. I've flown many times
in the Brantly with 400+ lbs in the cabin and full fuel with no
problems. There is no comparison really. I've also taken the Brantly
to 7100' and still had power to spare. The B2B doesn't struggle at all
to stay in the air. It flies beautifully.

wrote in message ...
I can't say that I have ever flown a Brantly, but here are some specs
from both Rotorway and Brantly's web site:

Helicopter Exec 162F Brantly B2B
===================== ================= ==================
Max level Speed 115 mph 100 mph
Cruise Speed 95 mph 90 mph
Rate of Climb 1000 fpm 1400 fpm
Service Ceiling 10000 feet 6000 feet
Hover IGE 7000 feet 3525 feet
Hover OGE 5000 feet n/a
Useful Load Capacity* 423 lbs 414 lbs
Fuel Burn ** 8.5 gph 13.8 gph
Max Range 180 miles 200 miles
Fuel Capacity 17 gal 31 gal (30.6 usable)

* With Full Tank of AvGas
** Calculated ((Cruise_Speed X Fuel_Capacity) / Range)

So at least according to the specs, the Exec outperforms the B2B in
everything execpt Rate of Climb and Max Range. Given the fuel burn is
nearly double in the B2B, it looks like it has to struggle to stay in
the air despite having a more powerful engine than the Exec.

Comparing to the R22: The R22 outperforms both with the exception of
max carrying load.

Dennis H.

ojunkm (Stevenatherton) wrote:

sorry denis ive flown a brantly its got the same power as a hiller / enstrom a
model or about twice the power of a rotorway no problems at all to keep the
rotor in the green
if a rororway can fly a brantly certainly can

steve

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video:
http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Old May 14th 04, 12:49 AM

Some questions about the Brantly:

1) Does it hover OGE with a full load? The web site conspicuously
omits this common specification.

2) The pilot who owned the one that crashed said that the factory
reccommended running takeoffs when heavily loaded. Why is this? (I
said "dragging the skids down the runway" before, but on that day it
would be better described as "hopping.")

3) What type of engine is in your B2B? The B2B that crashed was
listed as a 1962 model Lycoming IO360. Maybe your engine is bigger.

4) I find it interesting that you claim that your B2B can outperform
the factory specs. Has your B2B had any special modifications wuch as
Fuel Injection, Supercharger, etc.?

Dennis H.

Old May 14th 04, 02:40 AM
Stu & Kathy Fields

One thing I noticed in the Brantly was that the rotor positioned so close to
the bubble could and did cause a very annoying flicker with the sun at the
right angle. A hat with a bill would be a must.
I agree with on poster the Brantly I flew was relatively smooth. I don't
think that they made the prettiest helo tho..More like a horizontal ice
cream cone. I remember a story Ken Brock told me about running out of power
with a passenger at a density altitude of about 3,500 but he was on a
pinnacle and didn't have all the ground effect he would have liked.. For my
money, if I was located at a place where the density altitude rarely got
above 4,000, I would consider the Brantly because it was so easy to fly.

Stu Fields Safari Driver.
"Murphy's law" wrote in message
om...
(Davdirect) wrote in message

I agree with you about watching the tip path, being careful,

approaching from
the right place,etc. however to untrained passengers I could see where

this
could be a problem, thats all.
Dave
davdirect

The PIC is always responsible for the safety of passengers & the safe
operation of the rotorcraft.
Placard in Brantly : ROTOR MUST BE STOPPED WHILE LOADING AND UNLOADING
PASSENGERS
Even so tip path plane is over 6 feet high, that's all folks

Old May 14th 04, 01:24 PM
helopilot

1. Yes, depending on conditions (DA, wind, etc.)
2. Only reason I know of to do running takeoffs, besides practice, is
when you're loaded too heavy to maintain a hover. Many times I've been
fully loaded in the B2B and as long as the RRPM and wind is carefully
watched, I had no problems. Only once have I had to touch the skids
down a couple times until ETL was reached, at which point there was
ample power. It was a real hot summer day last year, 90%+ humidity,
fuel topped off, 430 lbs in the cabin, and probably 5 lbs in the
storage. I have no power complaints with the B2B at all.
3. The 360 fuel injected (Don't remember if that is the -A1A or -B1A).
The B2 and B2A ('62-'63 or so) had the carburator engine which I
understand does not have as much power as the fuel injected one used
now.
4. All standard B2B's have fuel injection. Mine has no mods to
increase power

Old May 14th 04, 03:17 PM

Stu,

I reccommend that you keep your Safari. I agree with you completely
about the Brantly looking like a flying Ice Cream Cone. It definitely
takes a lot of the fun out of flying when you know the people on the
ground are laughing at you, wondering if you have any Strawberry-Pecan
for sale. The only thing worse would be to fly in that hot-air
balloon that is shaped like Mickey Mouse.

I was stunned when I discovered that the B2B uses a vertically running
engine *despite* having at least three gearboxes. The Exec uses a
vertically running engine because it does not have a gearbox. I have
to say that I never realized that Lycoming even made a vertical
version of the O-360. I couldn't see well enough into the wreckage to
tell, but there was at least three gearboxes in the B2B. There were
two gearboxes on the tail boom. One was at the apex where it makes a
45 degree turn upward. The other was at the tail rotor.

This extra 45 degree gearbox seems to be a waste. It adds a lot of
extra weight and doesn't buy you anything. I will have to admit that
I was fascinated by the gearboxes themselves. They appeared to be
made out of 2" galvanized pipe elbows. I'm not sure if they really
were, but that's what they looked like.

I read the NTSB report about the crash and learned something. I
learned that the NTSB leaves out a lot of detail. We (myself and
other folks at the airport) were thinking maybe there was something
wrong with the engine which would explain the pilot not having enough
power to maintain a hover. The passenger weighed 190# which shouldn't
have been that excessive. Apparently, the NTSB never bothered to test
the engine and fuel systems as we had expected them to do.

According to the NTSB report, the pilot/owner said that the passenger
was flying the helicopter which caused it to crash. However, this is
not what I heard the passenger say. The passenger told me that he
never took the controls.

The pilot was an airline transport pilot with 28,000 flight hours and
over 100 hours in this particular B2B. I find it difficult to believe
that a pilot with this many hours would carelessly neglect to maintain
rotor RPM if he had a choice. Even if he did turn the controls over
to the passenger, a PIC with 28K hours would not allow the RPM to
decay like that. The tach is in plain sight.

Not to contradict myself, but I am truly interested in the facts that
surround this particular crash regardless of whether my opinion is
right or wrong. As such, I will have point out that the helicopter
crashed shortly after being refueled and that other people have had
trouble after refueling.

On 12/30/2003, a Cessna 441 crashed shortly after refueling at this
same airport. Then, a month later on 1/22/2004, another plane, this
time a Piper PA-23-160, also crashed after refueling. Both of these
accidents were fatal and had engine failure before hitting the ground.
Although, there was speculation about the fuel being bad, it was
tested and nothing was found. Not only that, but there were a lot of
other planes that used the same fuel and didn't crash. Nevertheless,
it still seems like there is more to it than a coincidence.

On another note, I would be curious as to how B2B's handle the weight
shift when a passenger is added. On an Exec, you have to move a
ballast weight depending on whether you have a passenger or not. On
the R22, it uses a high rotor level and geometry solves the problem.
On the B2B, you have a low rotor level and AFAIK no ballast weight.
How does the B2B do it? It this something inherrant to the 3 bladed
hub or does it simply have a large amount of cyclic?

Dennis H.

Old May 14th 04, 03:36 PM
Murphy's law

"Stu & Kathy Fields" wrote in message ...
One thing I noticed in the Brantly was that the rotor positioned so close to
the bubble could and did cause a very annoying flicker with the sun at the
right angle. A hat with a bill would be a must.
I agree with on poster the Brantly I flew was relatively smooth. I don't
think that they made the prettiest helo tho..More like a horizontal ice
cream cone. I remember a story Ken Brock told me about running out of power
with a passenger at a density altitude of about 3,500 but he was on a
pinnacle and didn't have all the ground effect he would have liked.. For my
money, if I was located at a place where the density altitude rarely got
above 4,000, I would consider the Brantly because it was so easy to fly.

In any bubble type plexi cabin a some kind of sunvisor is a must to
block sunglare
I had a Rotorway Exec 90, a Safari, have an R22, a Brantly B2, so I
know the difference
The Brantly is kid'a funny looking, but the beauty is in the eye of
the beholder
As the matter of fact, the cone shaped fuselage is an airstream
stabilizer
The flying characteristics must be the main concern in any aircraft