Info on Tilt- Rototrs Needed

Old October 5th 05, 05:00 AM

Default Info on Tilt- Rototrs Needed

Hey guys, I am thinking on giving a seminar on Tilt-Rotor Aircrafts as
a part of my Mechanical Engineering Final Year Syllabus. However all
the info i found on the net (read Google) deals with the BA-609 and the
Osprey specifically and not with the concept of Tilt Rotors. Can anyone
help me out? The seminar has to be about 20 pages long.

Old October 5th 05, 11:31 AM
CTR

730,

The predecessor to the V-22 and the BA609 was the XV-15 NASA program.
NASA is a great sourse for information. So is AHS International. AHS
has published papers from on tiltrotor reserch from many sources, not
just Bell and Boeing.

Good luck,

CTR

Old October 5th 05, 07:45 PM
Dave Jackson

You may wish to consider tilt-rotor patents; at
http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html

A few are;

Sikorsky's Variable diameter rotor blade actuation system ~ 6,019,578

VTOL airplane with only one tiltable prop-rotor ~ US 6,382,556

Optimum speed tilt rotor ~ US 6,641,365

Old October 5th 05, 10:35 PM
NickL

There are many American Helicopter Society technical papers that have
been given at the AHS annual forum over the years, several at a level
which would be right for undergraduate work. Ask your school librarian
for help, these are usually available in a few days.
Also, Stepniewski and Keys "Rotary Wing Aerodynamics" (Dover
publications) has a major section on tilt rotor design aspects.

Nick Lappos
For some broad performance comparisons between helicopters and tilt
rotors and supporting sites, see my site:

http://webpages.charter.net/nlappos/Disk-Loading.pdf

Old October 6th 05, 06:29 AM
Nishant

Thanks a lot Nick.....your comparison was really an eye-opener, so much
so that I am now wondering on whether I should change my topic...any
suggestions......(I will be seeking admission for MS in the Aerospace
in fall 2006....I guess having a related topic would help.)

Old October 6th 05, 12:51 PM
Nick Lappos

That performance comparison should take little away from the reason why the
Marines are going toward the V22, it has the speed, and they have the
mission. It just makes sure that we all recognize the reduction in
efficiency and the cost of that speed. I do think that tilt rotors will
have their place in the spectrum.
Good luck on your paper. Look at the AHS Forum papers for lots of data to
help your paper. What school are you attending?
Nick

oups.com...

Old October 6th 05, 07:14 PM
Dave Jackson

Should the subject of your seminar be 'future rotorcraft', you may wish to
focus on the coming ability of blades to vary their angle of attack at
desecrate locations, as defined by the rotor's polar coordinates. Radial
positions being set by active blade twist etc. and azimuthual positions
being set by higher harmonic control etc.

IMHO, when these two abilities become operationally viable, the two most
promising rotor configurations will be the Intermeshing for light agile
craft and the Interleaving for fast transport craft.

Old October 6th 05, 07:31 PM
Dave Jackson

.... to vary their angle of attack at desecrate locations, ....

Opps! Where's the Edit button?

'desecrate' sound a little to negative. Please substitute 'discrete' in the
above post.

Old October 6th 05, 10:31 PM
CTR

Nishant,

If you intend to use data you have collected over the internet to
support your Mechanical Engineering Final Year Syllabus, I recommend
that you stick to published data from sources like SAE, NASA or AHS.
Referencing data, opinions or conclusions from individuals personal web
sites is not a good idea.

Do your own research of from reputable data sources and then draw your
own conclusions.

Good luck,

CTR

Old October 7th 05, 06:09 AM
CTR

For those willing to take a close look at Nick Lappos's presentation
and it's referenced supporting data, please note the following:

1) The 1,050 KM range shown for the CH-53 in Nick's presentation is
with additional internal and external aux tanks installed. Using only
normal internal fuel tanks, the CH-53 ferry range is only 590 KM.

2) The 1,030 KM V-22 ferry range shown in Nick's presentation is
actually 2 X the 515 Amphib Assault mission range. With internal ferry
tanks installed the V-22 ferry range is 2,100 KM. Twice that of the
CH-53.

3) The 1,150 KM ferry range shown for the MILITARY UH-60L in Nick's
presentation is with four additional 230 gallon external aux tanks
installed. Using only normal internal fuel tanks, the UH-60L ferry
range is only 290 KM.

4) The 750 KM ferry range shown in Nick's presentation for the CIVIL
BA609 is with using only current internal fuel tanks. This is almost
three times the UH-60L ferry range. With internal tanks planned for
the Military BA609 version, ferry range is increased to 1,000 KM.

In short, for Nick's presentation, using as many internal and external
aux fuel tanks as possible for the CH-53 and UH-60L is acceptable. But
the use of even additional internal aux tanks on V-22 or BA609 is
prohibited.

So Nishant, do your own research before you draw any conclusions.
Don't take anyone's opinion (even mine) until you look closely at all
reliable data sources.

Good luck,

CTR