Cross Country the main focus of soaring?

Old October 3rd 04, 03:21 AM
Bill Daniels

"Jack" wrote in message

Your nemeses are no doubt substantially in the minority, and not very
good at accounting, either.

Jack

Yup, that's about my take on it too.

Bill Daniels

Old October 5th 04, 03:53 PM
Gerhard Wesp

Mark James Boyd wrote:
1-34 or DG-1000 or Grob 103. And requires one maintain a 2/3
glide ratio to a known landable field for all flights.

A 2/3 glide ratio??

-Gerhard
--
Gerhard Wesp o o Tel.: +41 (0) 43 5347636
Bachtobelstrasse 56 | http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~gwesp/
Old October 5th 04, 04:15 PM
Bert Willing

If your ship has 30:1, you keep within 20:1 to a landable field.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

Old October 8th 04, 01:08 AM
Mark James Boyd

Au Contraire, Buttercup. There is nothing more boring than dragging some
poor schmuck to 3500' agl so he can stay up for an extra 5 minutes.

Jack

Well, the comercial op at Tehachapi doesn't allow X-C in their
ships either. Here's a hint why: BASA, the club in the
SF Bay Area with Pegasi and 103s and DG-100, eventually could
not obtain hull insurance after too many claims. Eventually they
overcame this by self-insuring for hull damage.

I can't tell you if restricting X-C is a good idea or not for any
particular organization, but there are reasons on both sides.

I must say, however, that with the price of some 30:1 or better
gliders in the $10k-$15k range (US), making an XC "sub-club" or
syndicate seems to be warranted. Then when the competition eats into
the club's monies, they'll buy the syndicate glider from you
and all will be well

I'm reasonably sure X-C is the main focus of Soaring, and
NOT X-C is the main focus of gliding. I've yet to hear of
someone who did 5 hours for the Silver duration right over the airport.
That would be REALLY boring
--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old October 8th 04, 04:58 AM
tango4

I did my 5 hours within gliding distance of the field. Certainly no more
than 10 to 15 km from it. Boring? Hell no, I contacted wave and made my gold
height in the same flight and I had less than 20 hours solo at the time.

:-)

Ian

Old October 8th 04, 09:06 AM
Stefan

Mark James Boyd wrote:

I've yet to hear of
someone who did 5 hours for the Silver duration right over the airport.
That would be REALLY boring

Our club asks for the 5 hour duration flight before it would let you go
cross country in a club ship. Boring? Maybe, but then, at that stage of
your pilot's career, maybe not. And in our club, part of the game.

Stefan

Old October 8th 04, 11:36 AM
Clint

"tango4" wrote in message ...
I did my 5 hours within gliding distance of the field. Certainly no more
than 10 to 15 km from it. Boring? Hell no, I contacted wave and made my gold
height in the same flight and I had less than 20 hours solo at the time.

I did my 300km Diamond Goal flight last weekend. At no point was I out
of gliding range of the airport. 134km final glide from 15 500ft! Does
this count as a X/C flight?

Clinton
LAK 12
Old October 9th 04, 01:19 AM
Eric Greenwell

Clint wrote:
"tango4" wrote in message ...

I did my 5 hours within gliding distance of the field. Certainly no more
than 10 to 15 km from it. Boring? Hell no, I contacted wave and made my gold
height in the same flight and I had less than 20 hours solo at the time.

I did my 300km Diamond Goal flight last weekend. At no point was I out
of gliding range of the airport. 134km final glide from 15 500ft! Does
this count as a X/C flight?

My opinion: If you had to navigate with paper maps, yes; or, if there
was a good chance weather would cut you off from your home field, yes;
otherwise, the informal rule is you need to be at least one thermal away
for it to count as a XC flight. But what a great flight, right?

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old October 9th 04, 01:44 AM
Mark James Boyd

Stefan wrote:
Mark James Boyd wrote:

I've yet to hear of
someone who did 5 hours for the Silver duration right over the airport.
That would be REALLY boring

Our club asks for the 5 hour duration flight before it would let you go
cross country in a club ship. Boring? Maybe, but then, at that stage of
your pilot's career, maybe not. And in our club, part of the game.

In my experience, a Bronze badge is a fairly common requirement
(or informal recommendation) before a student pilot X-C attempt.

The Bronze badge precision landings and written test and
two flights of over two hours are a better prep for X-C than
a sole 5 hour duration flight, in my opinion.

I actually really like the Bronze badge SSA instructor
packet I got. And I was REALLY impressed by the
LOW price I'm looking forward to handing out pins and
giving written tests next soaring season...

And as far as the 5 hours, if you can't actually see the airport
because you're so far from it (or below a ridgeline) then
that may count as not "right over the airport." ;PPPPPPP

--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old October 9th 04, 04:47 AM
Nyal Williams

At 11:00 08 October 2004, Clint wrote:
'tango4' wrote in message news:...
I did my 5 hours within gliding distance of the field.
Certainly no more
than 10 to 15 km from it. Boring? Hell no, I contacted
wave and made my gold
height in the same flight and I had less than 20 hours
solo at the time.

I did my 300km Diamond Goal flight last weekend. At
no point was I out
of gliding range of the airport. 134km final glide
from 15 500ft! Does
this count as a X/C flight?

Clinton
LAK 12

Congratulations!

Your question about X/C flight indicates that you did
not feel the same level of accomplishment as those
who did it in a 1950s glider.

This is not a putdown; I've not yet done a 300K flight
and I have a Discus. My longest flight was in a K-8
- 175mi. and that was a more substantial accomplishment
than a 186. mi. will be in my present glider.