Low approaches in ground effect

Old October 18th 04, 03:13 PM
CV

Default Low approaches in ground effect

First a disclaimer: I understand the security issues involved
in the following and would not encourage anyone to try this
at home, but I am interested in the theoretical side of it.

Imagine you get things wrong and are caught out low on final,
still a fair distance out, and it looks marginal whether you
are going to reach the runway or not.

One technique I have sometimes heard described is to dive for
the deck and complete the remaining distance in ground effect.
For the sake of the argument we can assume fairly flat ground,
free of obstacles, though not necessarily landable.

The advantages claimed are usually better glide performance in
ground effect and less headwind and absence of downdrafts close
to the ground.

On the other hand you'll be travelling at higher than optimal
airspeed for most of the distance.

I am wondering how much truth there actually is to this
technique. Would it significantly increase your range and
improve your chances of reaching the field or not ?

Would it perhaps work better against a strong wind gradient
(as I suspect it might), and maybe not help a lot in calm
conditions ?

I'd be interested in any hard data/analysis or otherwise
enlightening comments on this.

Please note though, that I am not talking about high-speed
competition finishes, rounded off with a beatup and a sharp
pullup and all the dangers and other issues involved in that.

Cheers CV

Old October 18th 04, 05:34 PM
Dave Martin

Don't know whether this answers your question!

A Russian airforce pilot perfected this technique for
getting home on minimum fuel using ground effect to
prolong his flights. His ideas were developed into
ground effect vehicles which the Russians built in
a variety of forms.

The largest being the size of 747's and were named
the Caspian Sea Monsters. The intended development
was for military use. the end of the cold war stopped
production of the big ones. Some smaller craft have
been produced.

Briefly the idea is that you force air under the craft
with huge forward mounted jet engines, which provide
both the air cushion and thrust. Not quite the same
as just using ground effect to prolong an approach!

Ground effect does work with a low wing glider, other
than using the effect to float along way across flat
airfields I have never used it to prolong a final glide
over rough ground. But practice suggest that you have
to be very low to get the best effect and is only short
lived. A few hundred yards rather than miles, but then
I have never tried to go miles.

For Kranoplan information see

See http://aeroweb.lucia.it/~agretch/RAFAQ/WIG.html

Old October 18th 04, 06:13 PM
CV

Dave Martin wrote:
Don't know whether this answers your question!

No bearing on the question, really, though it is
slightly related, and interesting as well.

Ground effect does work with a low wing glider, other

I don't know of any low-wing gliders. Most are mid-wing
and some older types are high-wing, but that difference
is so small I wouldn't expect it to matter. In the
situation I asked about we'd want a safety margin
of perhaps 5 feet or so off the ground in any case.

AFAIK ground effect starts being significant from
approx. half a wingspan off the ground, the effect
being to increase performance, as if you had greater
span.

lived. A few hundred yards rather than miles, but then
I have never tried to go miles.

A few hundred yards would be sufficient for what I had
in mind, provided that the other factors balanced out
and resulted in a net gain in how far you can glide.

Cheers CV

Old October 18th 04, 07:26 PM
Bill Daniels

"CV" wrote in message
news

Dave Martin wrote:
[...]

The rule I learned was that ground effect became measurable at one wingspan
above the ground and near the ground could double the L/D. Running in
ground effect is a lot of fun but you'd better be very smooth on the
elevator since the pitch control gets 'twitchy'.

(I strongly suspect that unanticipated elevator sensitivity in ground effect
is a secondary cause of some of the G103 "PIO" accidents.)

The best glide stretching technique is to approach the ground at slightly
better than best L/D speed leveling off a couple of feet above the ground.
Diving to the ground is dangerous and wastes energy that could better be
spent at best glide. Maintaining the usual approach speed seems to work
best.

Of course, all this assumes that the approach and runway under-run are
completely free of obstacles like wires or fences.

Bill Daniels

Old October 18th 04, 07:57 PM
JC

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:13:41 +0200, CV wrote:

[...]

I demonstrate to my students ground effect by approaching a 4200 foot
runway in a Blanik L-13 at about 55-60 knots. I would be at the
threshold a foot above ground. I could float over 3500 feet before I
would settle down and use the wheel brake to avoid running off the end
of the field. It is very effective. (There was little or no wind
when I did this.)

I once had to use this technique when I allowed myself to be
distracted on base leg. When I turned final I realized I was too low
to make the field but had plenty of speed. I dove toward the ground,
and put the glider in ground effect and made the field. (There were no
obstructions.)

A fellow instructor referred to ground effect as the last refuge of
the scoundrel glider pilot.
Old October 18th 04, 08:14 PM
nafod40

Bill Daniels wrote:

The rule I learned was that ground effect became measurable at one wingspan
above the ground and near the ground could double the L/D. Running in
ground effect is a lot of fun but you'd better be very smooth on the
elevator since the pitch control gets 'twitchy'.

(I strongly suspect that unanticipated elevator sensitivity in ground effect
is a secondary cause of some of the G103 "PIO" accidents.)

Interesting observation. Flying in ground effect places the center of
pressure of the wing at about mid-chord, while out of ground effect the
center of pressure is about 1/4 chord. So in short, ground effect
usually has a stabilizing effect by essentially shifting the CG forward
with respect to the center of lift.

Old October 18th 04, 09:00 PM
Bill Daniels

"nafod40" wrote in message
Bill Daniels wrote:

The rule I learned was that ground effect became measurable at one

wingspan
above the ground and near the ground could double the L/D. Running in
ground effect is a lot of fun but you'd better be very smooth on the
elevator since the pitch control gets 'twitchy'.

(I strongly suspect that unanticipated elevator sensitivity in ground

effect
is a secondary cause of some of the G103 "PIO" accidents.)

Interesting observation. Flying in ground effect places the center of
pressure of the wing at about mid-chord, while out of ground effect the
center of pressure is about 1/4 chord. So in short, ground effect
usually has a stabilizing effect by essentially shifting the CG forward
with respect to the center of lift.

Al I can say is put a G103 in ground effect and see for yourself.
Obviously, flying qualities in ground effect deals with the whole glider and
not just the wing. No doubt the flow over the tail is involved as well.

Bill Daniels

Old October 18th 04, 09:08 PM
nafod40

Bill Daniels wrote:
"nafod40" wrote in message

Interesting observation. Flying in ground effect places the center of
pressure of the wing at about mid-chord, while out of ground effect the
center of pressure is about 1/4 chord. So in short, ground effect
usually has a stabilizing effect by essentially shifting the CG forward
with respect to the center of lift.

Al I can say is put a G103 in ground effect and see for yourself.
Obviously, flying qualities in ground effect deals with the whole glider and
not just the wing. No doubt the flow over the tail is involved as well.

I have, and i don't remember any decrease in longitudinal stab. Having
the ground that close certainly tends to "up the gain" in the soft mushy
grey matter autpilot though.

Old October 18th 04, 10:10 PM
John Cochrane

Imagine you get things wrong and are caught out low on final,
still a fair distance out, and it looks marginal whether you
are going to reach the runway or not.

One technique I have sometimes heard described is to dive for
the deck and complete the remaining distance in ground effect.
For the sake of the argument we can assume fairly flat ground,
free of obstacles, though not necessarily landable.

A few years ago Soaring Magazine reported experiments on this
undertaken (I believe) by the airforce glider program. They used
Blaniks and a very long runway. The conclusion was that it was better
to stay at max glide and not dive for the ground. I forget though how
much wind they had -- there is some headwind (50 mph) and gradient (to
zero at ground level) where it has to be better to dive. And Blaniks
are pretty bad at high speed -- though will have more induced drag at
any speed in ground effect too.

John Cochrane BB
Old October 18th 04, 10:15 PM
Mark Grubb

One technique I have sometimes heard described is to dive for
the deck and complete the remaining distance in ground effect.
For the sake of the argument we can assume fairly flat ground,
free of obstacles, though not necessarily landable.

Would it perhaps work better against a strong wind gradient
(as I suspect it might), and maybe not help a lot in calm
conditions ?

I'd be interested in any hard data/analysis or otherwise
enlightening comments on this.

USAF Test Pilot School Candidates did this as a student project 10 yrs
+/- ago. Used a G103 and found that one was definitely better off
flying speed-to-fly u\into ground effect and then leveling off.
Probably diving down would be better in a strong wind gradient but
determining the gradient and what speed-to-fly through it would be
operationally very difficult.

You could probably get a copy of the report from USAF TPS at Edwards,
CA.