What 're FAA mnms for glider instructor in US

Old October 19th 04, 10:41 PM
Andre Volant

Default What 're FAA mnms for glider instructor in US

What are FAA minimums for CFIG rating in U.S.A., the requirements and
experience that glider pilot has to have before FAA flight test for
glider instructor certificate.
Also, what are criteria and minimum experience CFIG has to have for
commercial operation and for a club in US. Are they different?
Are they different for Civil Air Patrol?
Are they different for Air Force Academy?
What are minimums to be a glider instructor in other countries?

Andre
Old October 19th 04, 11:13 PM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Andre Volant wrote:
What are FAA minimums for CFIG rating in U.S.A., the requirements and
experience that glider pilot has to have before FAA flight test for
glider instructor certificate.

Full CFIG needs a commercial glider rating, which requires

(f) For a glider rating. A person who applies for a commercial pilot
certificate with a glider category rating must log at least:

(1) 25 hours of flight time as a pilot in a glider and that flight
time must include at least 100 flights in a glider as pilot in command,
including at least...(and some other specifics)
or 200 hours in heavier-than-air aircraft and (some other specifics)

Sport Pilot CFI-Glider avoids the need to get a Private, Commercial,
and CFIG. Instead one can get an SP or Private - Glider rating, and then
get an SP - CFI without getting a commercial.

Otherwise the requirements seem to mirror the full CFIG. The exception
is for a pilot with 100 hours in heavier-than-air
aircraft, 20 flights in a glider, and 15 flights as pilot in command in
a glider that is a light-sport aircraft. Then one doesn't need the
25 glider hours.

Also, what are criteria and minimum experience CFIG has to have for
commercial operation and for a club in US. Are they different?

Each club and commercial op. sets their own standards, but
from what I've seen, a brand new CFI is fine at many places..

Are they different for Civil Air Patrol?

Don't know

Are they different for Air Force Academy?

I think the AF is under military rules. I think they can just
do whatever they want without FAA jurisdiction. But don;t quote me
on that. And of course they do have SOME standard, I just don't know
what it is.

What are minimums to be a glider instructor in other countries?

Good question. I especially like the idea that I think the BGA
has, with lots of different levels of instructors (can only
let students manuever above a certain altitude, etc.). Somebody else
can run this down for us perhaps.

--

Mark J. Boyd