Need Feedback on Hypersonic

Old August 23rd 03, 07:09 PM
Dudley Henriques

Default Need Feedback on Hypersonic

I'm seriously considering a new gaming machine. Anyone out there have
anything they can tell me about Hypersonic computers? Good or bad, it will
really help me in making a final decision. Keep in mind I'm interested in
flight simulators as my only "game" please. If you have any recommendations
within the system itself, please feel free to tell me what they are. I have
to choose between Anthlon and Pentium for example, and Nvidia and ATI.
All comments will be appreciated believe me.
Thanks.
Dudley

Old August 23rd 03, 09:38 PM
Dudley Henriques

Many thanks for this info.
"Gnasher" wrote in message
On this day of our lord, Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:09:18 GMT, "Dudley
Henriques" quilled:

I'm seriously considering a new gaming machine. Anyone out there have
anything they can tell me about Hypersonic computers? Good or bad, it

will
really help me in making a final decision. Keep in mind I'm interested in
flight simulators as my only "game" please. If you have any

recommendations
within the system itself, please feel free to tell me what they are. I

have
to choose between Anthlon and Pentium for example, and Nvidia and ATI.
All comments will be appreciated believe me.
Thanks.
Dudley

Ever considered building your own instead? Takes a bit more work but
you get exactly what you want. But if buying a pre-built the best
advice I can give is buy the fastest and most (HD, ram etc.) you can
afford. Intel P4's with 800mhz FSB are the best performers right now
but cost more than AMD too. I would say an AMD Barton 2500+ cpu with
an Nforce2 motherboard, Sapphire Radeon 9800 OEM vid card, ATA100
7200rpm120+gb HD and at least 512mb of PC3200 (400mhz) ram will
provide the most bang for the buck. That's what I would buy if
building a fast system and on a budget. But I do use an Intel P4
system right now.

Old August 23rd 03, 11:25 PM
Kevin©

Don't forget serial ATA if you want a bit more punch.

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...
Many thanks for this info.

Old August 23rd 03, 11:36 PM
John Ward

Hi Kevin,

Serial ATA 2 will be out soon, and, as the current ATA is said by some
to be not quite up to scratch, I'd not worry about it yet.

Regards,
John

Old August 24th 03, 12:03 AM
Flyfish

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in
ink.net:

I'm seriously considering a new gaming machine. Anyone out there have
anything they can tell me about Hypersonic computers? Good or bad, it
will really help me in making a final decision. Keep in mind I'm
interested in flight simulators as my only "game" please. If you have
any recommendations within the system itself, please feel free to tell
me what they are. I have to choose between Anthlon and Pentium for
example, and Nvidia and ATI. All comments will be appreciated believe
me. Thanks.
Dudley

I second the motion to build your own, been doing that for years. SATA
may or may not deliver punch, but ATA-RAID absolutely will.

Flyfish

My system:

Kingwin case, vantac 400W dual fan PS.
ABIT BE-7 Raid
P4 2.4Ghz 533Mhz FSB
4 WD 40G 8M disks striped/mirrored
1 G DDR 333 memory
Ti4600
SBlive soon to be an audigy 2
and the usual CDRW etc.

Old August 24th 03, 12:45 AM
Mike Davis

Interesting thread on drives here. I use ATA 100 drives and find that the
difference in performance is negligible for flight sim work. I would,
however, highly recommend getting 7200 RPM drives with 8 meg caches in the
80-120 range. The larger the drive, the more platters and the quicker the
access. Drives inevitably fail and these are less expensive to replace than
some of the higher priced SATA versions when they do. Seldom do I have need
for loading a LOT of data very quickly. The feeds for scenery updates while
flying in FS9 are relatively small and the differences in access times is
unnoticable, IMHO, especially with a 7200 RPM multi-platter drive.

Most motherboards now have SATA (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, etc.) if you're going
to the Intel 800 FSB DDR setups so it's a matter of what you want to hook
up.

--
Mike Davis

Old August 24th 03, 02:03 AM
Jan-Albert van Ree

Flyfish wrote:

I second the motion to build your own, been doing that for years. SATA
may or may not deliver punch, but ATA-RAID absolutely will.

But at a price and with added risk (RAID-0 means your chances of failure
increase a lot... not just double but more so. Sorry, too lazy to do the
statistics)
atm the fastest IDE drive is the SATA Western Digital Raptor. Blows away
anything IDE and at a very nice price too.

Besides, fast HD's aren't that important... LOADS of RAM and a nice (dual-
or at least HT) CPU with a high FSB do more miracles, specially for sims.
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree | http://www.vanree.net/~javanree/
VanReeDotNet IT Solutions | http://www.vanree.net
Old August 24th 03, 12:14 PM
Jan-Albert van Ree

Gnasher wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 08:36:42 +1000, "John Ward"
wrote:

Hi Kevin,

Serial ATA 2 will be out soon, and, as the current ATA is said by some
to be not quite up to scratch, I'd not worry about it yet.

Not to mention it is way to expesnsive for the amount of HD space you
get for the buck. I would buy SCSI before I would buy SATA.

SCSI comes with it's own issues :
- Extra PCI card needed
- Usually higher power useage
- Higher drive temperatures
- Cost

Apart from the somewhat small capacity, what's wrong with the new Western
Digital Raptor series? They blow away EVERY other IDE drive, and almost all
7200 rpm SCSI drives. And they make less mess in your case, since Serial
ATA cables are very compact, SPECIALLY compared to SCSI.