SSA Convention at Reno, February 26 thru March 1

Old February 26th 14, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default SSA Convention at Reno, February 26 thru March 1

The gathering of the SSA tribes in Reno has begun.
Besides the seminars and displays of sailplanes, I most enjoy seeing old friends and meeting new ones.
Old February 27th 14, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

See you on Thurs!
BillT
Old February 27th 14, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 7:59:03 AM UTC-8, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
The gathering of the SSA tribes in Reno has begun.

Besides the seminars and displays of sailplanes, I most enjoy seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

Attended Burt and friend's most excellent safety seminar.
Best quote from the proceedings:
"Instructors, be especially warned about unfortunate advice from R.A.S."
Yep.

See ya, Dave
Old February 27th 14, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:24:59 PM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 7:59:03 AM UTC-8, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:

The gathering of the SSA tribes in Reno has begun.

Besides the seminars and displays of sailplanes, I most enjoy seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

Attended Burt and friend's most excellent safety seminar.

Best quote from the proceedings:

"Instructors, be especially warned about unfortunate advice from R.A.S."

Yep.

See ya, Dave

Presentation was excellent last night. The preview of the training videos was great and the talk by the Fed Ex guy was spot on. We have a great resource in the SSF. Thanks B.C.
Old February 27th 14, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Presentation was excellent last night. The preview of the training videos was great and the talk by the Fed Ex guy was spot on. We have a great resource in the SSF. Thanks B.C.

Thanks for the kind words about the SSF Safety Seminar, the event that kicks off the SSA Conventions.
We had over 120 attendees.

The "Fedex guy" is Steve Dee of Memphis. Lifelong glider pilot, Fedex training Captain, USAF Squadron Commander (retired / F-16's). With that background we asked Steve to develop a powerpoint presentation on the delicate subject of "Intervention" -- how to intervene with your fellow pilots and improve their awareness of their risk-taking and personal limitations. Best quote: "Praise in public, critique in private."

Steve Dee is one of the five Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF) Trustees. Chairman Rich Carlson, Ron Ridenour, John Molumphy, Steve and myself. We are the training and safety arm of the SSA.

I premiered two of the new SSF "training videos" for the first time on the big screen in the hall. This video series will specifically track the FAA Practical Test Standards for a Commercial Glider Pilot "checkride." No talking heads, these are all professionally filmed airborne and cockpit videos of how to fly the PTS maneuvers. The first two are "Boxing the Wake" and "Slack Line Recoveries" as required by the FAA PTS. Narration was overdubbed in the studio for clarity (no wind noise.) I also included "Common Errors" at the end of the video for the checkride applicant to have an insight on how to fail a checkride!

Filmed near the mountains around the Marfa Plateau in west Texas on a beautiful blue sky day using my ASK-21 sailplane. These videos will be uploaded (or a link provided) at the SSF website: www.soaringsafety.org

Segments for the next videos for the Commercial checkride are in the can. They just need to be carefully edited and narrated in the production studio. Expect the series to be completed soon and posted online.

Burt Compton, SSF Trustee
Designated Pilot Examiner
Marfa, Texas USA

Old February 27th 14, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:24:59 AM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 7:59:03 AM UTC-8, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:

The gathering of the SSA tribes in Reno has begun.

Besides the seminars and displays of sailplanes, I most enjoy seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

Attended Burt and friend's most excellent safety seminar.

Best quote from the proceedings:

"Instructors, be especially warned about unfortunate advice from R.A.S."

Yep.

See ya, Dave

You mean like the 15meters of tape I saw applied to the leading edge of an otherwise very pretty classic 70's LS something or other?

T8