Leaving the community

Old November 3rd 04, 10:13 PM
Maule Driver

It is a sad day but it will look better tomorrow. And some of us try to
keep to the forum topic most of the time.

Welcome to feeling like a disenfrancised minority. But picking up your
marbles and going home really isn't a viable life strategy - especially over
politics (or sex or race).

Get a good night's sleep or 5 and hope to see you again.

"David Brooks" wrote in message
One thing - one of so very many things - I learned in my five years of
flying is that partisan politics does not fit into the cockpit. Most of my
flight instructors have, I know, been to the right of me politically. I

had
a most enjoyable flight with CJ - although he has since earned my undying
enmity by unapologetically using the term "Final Solution" in connection
with me and people like me, an astonishing thought coming from an avowedly
religious man, but telling and apt.

But now it seems the nation has, albeit by a slim margin, re-elected a

weak,
hypocritical, murderous coward. Three years ago, when some writers on the
left started talking about fascism, I thought that an absurd stretch. No
longer. The parallels are not precise - they never are - but the broad

sweep
and many of the components of a new fascist state are in place. The 48%

who
didn't vote for this disaster keep knocking on my consciousness, but they
are now feeble and impotent. The thugs are in charge.

That being so, and despite what should be an apolitical setting, I can no
longer in good faith keep company with a group of which the majority, I
know, has elected to deliver the country I love, and chose as my home,

into
the hands of Bush and his repressive, regressive masters.

So long. Thanks for all the conversations. You guys have made me a better
pilot.

-- David Brooks

Old November 3rd 04, 10:16 PM
Jay Honeck

Still, I've managed to become and remain friends with quite a few of these
people because I realize that they're not actually bad people, just
misguided. Naturally they feel the same about me. Some of them I'm happy
have long debates with over vast quantities of alcohol, others I only talk
about other topics with. Life goes on and is richer for the company of
people who think differently than I do.

Precisely. Well said.

Our best friends are both liberal Democrats. We watched the election
results together last night, much like watching Monday Night Football. We
had the same snacks, the same drinks -- and the same cheering and booing.

For David to take this kind of thing so seriously that he's "leaving the
community" is bizarre to the point of absurdity.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 3rd 04, 10:22 PM
Jay Honeck

These people are mad Kerry didn't run a liberal campaign and can't stand
that he "was just as pro-war as Bush."

That is SO ironic.

If the Democrats has nominated a middle-of-the-road guy to run against
Bush -- say, Dick Gephardt -- this election would not have even been close.
The Democrats would have swept the nation, and never by less than 25
percentage points.

Stupidly, they nominated a guy whose political positions were to the left of
Ted Kennedy's, absolutely ensuring a Bush victory.

There were many traditional Republicans out here -- myself included -- who
would have voted for a conservative Democrat in this election. But there
was just no way for any of us to vote for a guy like Kerry.

The moral for the Democrats: Don't ever nominate an ultra liberal to run
for president again.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 3rd 04, 10:23 PM
Chuck

"David Brooks" wrote in message

snip

But now it seems the nation has, albeit by a slim margin, re-elected a

weak,
hypocritical, murderous coward.

snip

Hey! You must have been misinformed!! Kerry lost!

Go home cry baby...

---

Old November 3rd 04, 10:30 PM
Nemo l'Ancien

See you in four ytears from now...
And we 'll see your ass...
Old November 3rd 04, 10:34 PM
C Kingsbury

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
These people are mad Kerry didn't run a liberal campaign and can't stand
that he "was just as pro-war as Bush."

The moral for the Democrats: Don't ever nominate an ultra liberal to run
for president again.

Hillary Clinton.

With Barack Obama for VP, of course. Too soon for him to run for Prez. but
he's going to get there sooner or later unless he has an intern problem.

2008 will be a slugfest extraordinaire. First in 50 years that you'll have a
completely open race with neither an incumbent nor VP on either ticket.

My dream team is Giuliani-Rice. Not likely to happen but the Red Sox weren't
supposed to beat the Yankees after being down 0-3 either. That team could
put nearly the entire country in play.

-cwk.

Old November 3rd 04, 10:41 PM
Trent Moorehead

"David Brooks" wrote in message
One thing - one of so very many things - I learned in my five years of
flying is that partisan politics does not fit into the cockpit.

snip

You have to be one of the most intolerant people I have ever heard of. So
you can't hang around people who are (according to your assumptions)
different than you? I used to think that Democrats were the type of people
who were accepting of others, but I have seen over the last few years that
they are not. I am a Democrat, but I voted for Bush. He's not perfect, but
at least he's not a hypocrite.

I sincerely hope you are jus mis-speaking out of frustration. If this is
your true character, then good riddance.

-Trent
PP-ASEL

Old November 3rd 04, 10:50 PM
Jim Burns

As a flight instructor, I have learned to understand and put up with the
personal politics of just about anyone. That is, after all, their right. I
can politely and quietly listen to unending and asinine arguments made at
nauseam by self important, conceited, myopic, hypocrites who's views I
personally disagree with vehemently.

One thing that I will not listen to, acknowledge, or put up with, even from
my own children, is WHINING!

Taxi to the ramp, I'm letting you out. PLONK!

has been added to your blocked senders
list.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (