CFI Flight Bags

Old October 31st 03, 03:52 PM
C J Campbell

Default CFI Flight Bags

"BoDEAN" wrote in message
| Need a flight bag. Any suggestions from other cfi's on what they use?
| Maybe something just for the headset?

The CFI needs to travel light. For most flights, I don't even carry a
headset bag; I just walk out with headset in hand. Of course, I also carry
an extra pen, sunglasses, a couple of instrument covers, the Microlight on
my keychain, and my cell phone in my pockets. (I actually weighed all the
stuff I carry in my pockets and on my belt; it came to five pounds. No
wonder I wear out my pants so fast.) I also carry my pocket knife and I wear
my Leatherman on my belt. I make the student carry the hood if he needs one.
All the stuff I carry in my pockets goes with me wherever I go, not just
flying. The only exception is that I don't wear the Leatherman with a
business suit.

The whole effect is a slightly lumpy, nerdy appearance that seems to put
people at ease.

On cross countries I take my headset bag, which includes extra sectional and
terminal charts, a bigger flashlight, an extra aircraft checklist, and a
Western Guide. It also has extra batteries for the headset.

At night I bring a big LED flashlight.

If I am departing the local area IFR I will bring a set of my own approach
plates which I keep in a Jepp binder.

If I am taking a multi-day trip then I take my Cencal November flight bag
with my wife's headset, handheld GPS, handheld radio, Jeppesen books,
Flitestar trip kit, complete survival kit, etc. This stuff does not actually
fill the November, but the bag was on sale when I got it.

Old November 3rd 03, 02:31 AM
Aloft

Sky High Gear has a new bag (it's not even on their website yet) called the
Freedom VII that is designed for CFIs; it's just big enough to hold a
headset and a few other aviation essentials, but not so big that you don't
want to lug it around all day. Ballistic nylon construction with
closed-cell foam padding, good stuff. I took some pix of mine, you can see
them he http://64.203.15.42:81/shg/ I know of two places that carry
them:

Windsock Aviation & Pilot Supplies Inc
3930 Campus Drive, Newport Beach, CA 92660
(949) 263-1534

Marv Golden Discount Sales Inc
8690 Aero Drive, San Diego, CA 92123
1-800-348-0014 or www.marvgolden.com