LX 9000 or CNII?

Old November 13th 15, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom (2N0)

Default LX 9000 or CNII?

I have a CNI,CNv, and a LXNAV V7 in my ASG-29. The CNI is easy to operate but it has locked up a few times and has given me a lot of headaches trying to start out of the top of the start cylinder - might be operator error

Between the varios I always find myself referencing the V7 because it catches my eye more and I can read it faster - plus I can display my PFlarm with it.

I bought an Antares 20E and have a choice between installing the CNII / CNv and the LX9000 with the 80mm V80 vario. Both will have to be mounted on a ram mount due to limited panel real estate. (I guess the third option would be keeping the SN10 and running my Oudie on the PDA mount)

The ClearNav products are in constant development (which is both good and bad in my opinion). I have not flown with a CNII but everyone is in agreement that it has a faster screen response than the CNI. They have excellent customer service.

The software on the LX9000 seems very mature with many many display and configuration options including AHRS, compass, and running my TRIG transponder that will free up more space. LXNAV answered my email next day on a problem I had with my V7 and they followed up later so I would say they also have excellent customer service but they are in Europe.

Does anyone have experience with both system that could offer an opinion?

Thanks!
Old November 13th 15, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 7:45:31 AM UTC-8, Tom (2N0) wrote:
[...]

Another Option:

PowerFlarm - V7, S8 or S80 - Ultimate LE 57 on a RAM ARM.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 13th 15, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 10:45:31 AM UTC-5, Tom (2N0) wrote:
[...]

Lange used to offer a larger panel which would accommodate an in-panel LX9000. LXNAV has the better mouse trap IMO.
Old November 13th 15, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

First up. Both are very good.

It depends on how much you want to "fiddle with it" If you are ok with the extra effort of configuration (and remembering HOW to configure,) the LX9000 is very nice. If you want a setup and forget the CnII is your baby.

I would caution you about thinking that the LX9000 software is more "mature.." Bad software designers hide their lack of skill by giving lots and lots of options to the user. They cover their lack of User Interface design skills with the excuse "in my device, the user has complete control." The LX9000 appears "mature" because the "art" design and the aesthetics are very very good.

The CNII guys are better programmers by at least 1 or 2 levels, However, their art and aesthetic sense is terrible.

Again.. both are good. I'm a Clear Nav owner but if my next ship came with a LX9000, I wouldn't change it out. I'd be quite happy either way.
Old November 13th 15, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 3:51:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Here we go "The CNII guys are better programmers by at least 1 or 2 levels, However, their art and aesthetic sense is terrible."

How did you figure out that they are better programmers? It is simply your opinion and not a fact.

In my previous gliders I used both ClearNav (4 seasons) and LX9000 (2 season). In my new glider I am installing LX9000. If one wants to know why send me a private message.

Andrzej
Old November 13th 15, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Just to add to the profusion of choice, Air
Glide M and L are available:
http://www.air-
avionics.com/air/index.php/en/products/
air-glide-soaring-avionics/air-glide-display-

They incorporate the Butterfly Vario (now
Air Glide S).

Note that the airspace data comes from
OpenAIP. You need to judge how well that
data matches up with where you fly.

Air Avionics has done fine work upgrading
the Air Glide S software.

All you need is the panel space.

Old November 13th 15, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

[...]

Tom,

LXNAV is offering a autumn special for LX9000 upgrade to V8 or V80 for free usually $425 until 12/01/2015.

http://www.craggyaero.com/lxnav_flight_computers.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 14th 15, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Tom,

There is no right answer, it depends what YOU like the best. Personally, I like the LX9000. I like the user interface and find it easy to understand.. I tried a ClearNav a couple of times and couldn't figure it out. Did not seem intuitive to me like the LX menu structure. Windows vs MacIntosh

My recommendation is, since you have flown with the ClearNav to now spend some time flying with a 9000 and get a feel for the LX, then decide. If you can't find a glider to fly with the 9000, then download the simulator from the LX Nav site and try it out.

http://lxnav.com/downloads/software/LXSimSetup.exe
Old November 14th 15, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom (2N0)

Thanks Dave I have downloaded both the LXSim and the CN sim and run them side by side with flights I did in January in NZ. BTW the LX9000 captured the start the CN still missed it. In fairness the CN sim is about a year behind in development.
Old November 14th 15, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

"Different strokes for different folks" (Sly & the Family Stone - Everyday People)

Another biased opinion:
Both are good. Wish I had more time to evaluate the LX9000, which seemed intuitive. Only one flight, and that was nearly four years ago. Hardly valid for software-based instrumentation.
Currently using CN2 and Air-Glide S.
Did have problems with shipping US to Slovenia and back for another computer, but perhaps that was to the Judean People's Front, not the People's Front of Judea. Shipping US to anywhere in Slovenia involves the same logistics.. In my case FedEx would cost much of what the instrument was worth, USPS tracking failed at the Slovenian border.
Perhaps a consideration: The LX uses binary airspace files - so building your own, ie TFR file, is more complicated. Using a text editor you can build an open air file in a few minutes or alternately download from Lynn Alley.
Whichever device you personally choose, I recommend using a stick-mounted controller and mounting the display in the panel. Take into account the new height of the stick with remote when you lay the panel out. Shortening the stick ~30mm might help.
Jim