SR-71

Old April 19th 10, 03:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default SR-71

Peter Twydell wrote in news:NuUUztCC0FzLFwd3
Those "dents" are the modification for the ECM antennas.
(Electronic counter measures)

I thought they were where the ground crew were supposed to push if the
brakes failed...

Only if they are wearing asbestos gloves, it takes a while for the airframe
of the Blackbird to cool after flight..
Old April 19th 10, 03:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"Dr.Smith" wrote in
:

I just dug this one out of an old file. The SR-71 at Barksdale AFB in
Louisiana has the same indentions.

begin 666 DSC_0002.JPG

Attachment decoded: DSC_0002.JPG
`
end

That "should" be SR-71A #17967
(last flight 10 Oct 1997, also the Final USAF SR-71 flight,)
Old April 19th 10, 04:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"Glenn" wrote in news:4bcac7f1$0$27798$c3e8da3
@news.astraweb.com:

Attachment decoded: SR71 copy.jpg
------=_NextPart_000_0030_01CADF28.12193C10--

SR-71A #17964 strategic Air and Space Museum Ashland, Nebraska

20 Mar 1990 Last Flight of SR-71A #964, Beale AFB to Offutt AFB, NE

Old April 19th 10, 06:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_9_]

"John Szalay" wrote in message
42...
"Canuck" wrote in

Hmmmm....curious/strange. I went and had a look and you are right. My
foggy memory failed me. The A-11/YF-12A nosecones were different but
not like what is present in that image. It almost seems like an
intermediate morph between the A-11/YF-12A and the SR-71.

The other possibility is that someone bent it.

Nick

Attachment decoded: YF-12A.jpg
------=_NextPart_000_0009_01CADF55.58129EF0--

This photo is the YF-12A and the chine mod is for the ASG-18 fire
control radar. to insure directional stability for the chine being cut
three small fins were added to the rear of the underside of the YF-12A

So, I did get it right. I guess they tried a number of different chines/nose
cone profiles before they settled on what is the more familiar one from the
SR-71.

Neat.

Nick

Old April 19th 10, 08:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"Canuck" wrote in
:

"John Szalay" wrote in message
42...

This photo is the YF-12A and the chine mod is for the ASG-18 fire
control radar. to insure directional stability for the chine being
cut three small fins were added to the rear of the underside of the
YF-12A

So, I did get it right. I guess they tried a number of different
chines/nose cone profiles before they settled on what is the more
familiar one from the SR-71.

Neat.

Nick

Yep but there were only 3 YF-12A built and two crashed, the one
left is at Dayton. there were others in the production, but the
airframes were changed to the SR-71, can't recall how many off hand.

there were several nose mods tried, and the "dented" one was the last
& it was for the ECM antenna.
(from what I remember , NASA had a canard on atleast one test..)
have to go to the books to get the model/test...)
there were also several noses depending on the mission.
much like the Dragon lady has....
again got to go to the books, and can,t right now. got to
finish mowing the front yard.. .

Old April 20th 10, 10:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Morgans[_2_]

"John Szalay" wrote

there were several nose mods tried, and the "dented" one was the last
& it was for the ECM antenna.

I'm sure ECM should be instantly clear to me, but I'm not sure in this
case...
Electronic Counter Measures? I didn't know 71's needed them! g

(from what I remember , NASA had a canard on atleast one test..)
have to go to the books to get the model/test...)
there were also several noses depending on the mission.
much like the Dragon lady has....
again got to go to the books, and can,t right now. got to
finish mowing the front yard.. .

Thanks for your interest. It is good to know
(but not surprising that someone in this great group)
that someone has the resources to get a line on this difference.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 20th 10, 10:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Morgans[_2_]

"Dr.Smith" wrote

I just dug this one out of an old file. The SR-71 at Barksdale AFB in
Louisiana has the same indentions.

Interesting. I had never seen even one with that modification. Now
suddenly there are two!
--
Jim in NC

Old April 20th 10, 11:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"Morgans" wrote in news:KPozn.119653$mn6.68680
@newsfe07.iad:

"John Szalay" wrote

there were several nose mods tried, and the "dented" one was the last
& it was for the ECM antenna.

I'm sure ECM should be instantly clear to me, but I'm not sure in this
case...
Electronic Counter Measures? I didn't know 71's needed them! g

ITs not a case of needing them,
its a case of "you need to know whom is looking at you." In CASE you may
need them..

Remember the U-2 did,nt need them, at first, because nothing could reach
them, but things & times change...
Old April 21st 10, 12:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Morgans[_2_]

"John Szalay" wrote

ITs not a case of needing them,
its a case of "you need to know whom is looking at you." In CASE you may
need them..

Remember the U-2 did,nt need them, at first, because nothing could reach
them, but things & times change...

Indeed.

I noted from another reply to this thread, that one of the last flying
models also had this feature.
With your comment in mind, about "at first they didn't need them, but times
change and" (you might),
I might then be able to imply that the later models were the ones that need
this feature.

Is that on the right track?
--
Jim in NC

Old April 21st 10, 12:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Salamanda

The Sr71 on display at The Duxford Museum also has these indentations, so
that's three now. or Common as muck as we would say on our side of the pond.

"Dr.Smith" wrote