UK2 JX485 Consolidated CoronadoGR1 ex USN 7192 PB2Y-3B Helensburgh.jpg

Old October 8th 13, 09:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Lab Lover

Default UK2 JX485 Consolidated CoronadoGR1 ex USN 7192 PB2Y-3B Helensburgh.jpg

On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 14:57:21 +0100, Ramsman
wrote:

On 08/10/2013 14:13, Lab Lover wrote:
On Mon, 07 Oct 2013 23:22:04 +0100, Ramsman
wrote:

On 07/10/2013 18:43, Lab Lover wrote:
On Mon, 07 Oct 2013 11:00:39 +0100, Ramsman
wrote:

On 06/10/2013 14:56, Lab Lover wrote:
On Sun, 06 Oct 2013 09:15:53 +0100, Syke
wrote:

On 06/10/2013 09:05, Syke wrote:
Is that a 3 blade prop and a 4 blader?
Regards

Syke

Responding to my own question, it seems the answer is, sometimes;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=co...=lnms&tbm=isch

But not always;

http://www.aircraftaces.com/photos/pby-coronado-1.jpg

How odd!

Some interesting history on the Coronado:

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches...ac/pb2y-5r.pdf

I thought I'd research the Coronado in my own library, so took out my
book on testing at Boscombe Down during WWII. It took a couple of
minutes to work out why the Coronado wasn't in the index...

And....?

I felt foolish.

I only tug once on the cheese.

That sounds rather rude.

Have a look in Google Maps for Boscombe Down, the site of the UK's
Aeroplane & Armament Experimental Establishment, and you'll see what I mean.

Rude, no, not at all. You expressed a partial thought. I was
interested enough to ask you to finish the thought. In reply, you
made a feeble attempt at facetiousness, I responded in kind.

I expend more than enough effort attempting to read my wife's mind. It
is just too much effort to try and read the mind of a Usenet poster
and it is certainly far too much effort to go to Google maps to
evaluate a site I am intimately familiar with just so I can guess the
meaning of your cryptic comment.

Rude? No, it was simply my way of saying I am going to leave your
mouse trap alone and not play the game.

All of this silliness could have been avoided if you had simply
expressed a complete thought initially.
Old October 8th 13, 11:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ramsman

wrote:

On 06/10/2013 09:05, Syke wrote:
[...]

This is becoming tedious.

If you're intimately familiar with Boscombe Down, then surely you
realise why it was a mistake to look for the Coronado in a book abut the
place?

--
Peter
Old October 9th 13, 12:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Indrek[_7_]

wrote:

On 06/10/2013 09:05, Syke wrote:
[...]

Perhaps your interlocutor is unfamiliar with English geography.

So, for the benefit if the uninitiated, Boscombe Down is a long way from any
stretch of water where a flying boat could land. Hence the impracticality of
searching for information about a flying boat in a book dealing with
activities at Boscombe Down.

Please excuse my butting in here, but there a few enough contributors left
in the newsgroup and it would be a pity to spoil the generally amicable
tenor of the messages due to a minor misunderstanding.

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

--
Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult W.S. Churchill

Old October 9th 13, 12:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Lab Lover

wrote:

On 06/10/2013 09:05, Syke wrote:
[...]

It was my impression the Coronado was an amphibian like it's little
brother the PBY-5 Catalina. I certainly could be wrong.
Old October 9th 13, 07:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

wrote:

On 06/10/2013 09:05, Syke wrote:
[...]

The same reason I an woefully unsuccessful picking up pretty young
women when I tell them I'm a General at the US Coast Guard base in
Fargo, North Dakota...

(Strangely enough: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3a3_1238648539 )

Please excuse my butting in here, but there a few enough contributors left
in the newsgroup and it would be a pity to spoil the generally amicable
tenor of the messages due to a minor misunderstanding.

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

Seconded,

Bob ^,,^
Old October 9th 13, 08:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ramsman

wrote:

On 06/10/2013 09:05, Syke wrote:
[...]

I apologise for my apparently feeble effort at self-deprecation and levity.

When encountering names of people, places or aircraft with which I am
not familiar, my first response is to look them up, either on the
Internet or in a book. I should not have assumed that other people do
the same. I hadn't considered the possibility that anyone would think
the Coronado was an amphibian.

The Sunderland wasn't either, but
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZfVEoZmt-c

--
Peter
Old October 9th 13, 11:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo[_3_] ®i©ardo[_3_] is offline
Banned

On 07/10/2013 08:07, Ramsman wrote:

The first aircraft I ever saw do this was a Blackburn Beverley, back in
the 50s.

Ah, yes, the amazing Beverley.

When paratrooping from this one I noticed, when standing in the door
awaiting the "green on - GO" order, that the big wheels were going round!

;-)

Ri©ardo

--
Moving Things in Still Pictures!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Balckburn Beverley July 1967.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	65969  Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackburn Beverley.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	65970
Old October 10th 13, 12:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
PVK

On 08/10/2013 23:05, Ramsman wrote:

If you're intimately familiar with Boscombe Down, then surely you
realise why it was a mistake to look for the Coronado in a book abut the
place?

The futility of initially looking up the history of a pure flying boat
in a book about an inland airfield probably wouldn't have occurred to me
either. ;0)

Regards

Paul

Old October 10th 13, 01:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ramsman

On 10/10/2013 12:02, PVK wrote:
On 08/10/2013 23:05, Ramsman wrote:

If you're intimately familiar with Boscombe Down, then surely you
realise why it was a mistake to look for the Coronado in a book abut the
place?

The futility of initially looking up the history of a pure flying boat
in a book about an inland airfield probably wouldn't have occurred to me
either. ;0)

Regards

Paul

The only excuse I can offer is that the book happened to be on my desk
because I'd previously been looking something else up. The thought
process was on the lines of: it's from WWII and the RAF had some, so it
must have been tested at Boscombe Down. Then the brain cells reconnected
and I realised it couldn't have been.

--
Peter