What is going on?!

Old November 7th 03, 01:35 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:57:35 +0100, "Janusz Kesik"
wrote:

Some month ago, I did delete r.a.s. from my list of subscribed newsgroups when I got a post with a virus attached. A month later (now) discovering few threads regarding Jantar I thought: "Maybe it was one-off infected posting". After TWO DAYS of my presence at r.a.s. forum, I have found a next "security patch" post with an attachment (this time I was very carefully moving my mouse to not to click accidentally as I had done it previously). Again.
What is going on with this newsgroup?! Do I have to give it a go definitely? :-/

Anyone knows the way to force the Outlook Express to not to download any posts with binary file attached from the news server?

Don't use Outlook Express for reading newsgroups. Try Forte's Free
Agent instead (it really is free):

http://www.forteinc.com

I've tried a few and this is the one I like best. It won't open
attachments unless you explicitly ask it to and won't display HTML
pages either - unless you ask it to, which I don't.

Outlook-specific advice: AFAIK its not possible to turn off attachment
download. However, here's something you CAN do. If you've got the
preview pane turned on (it's on by default) turn it off at once. When
a message is previewed all its attachments are opened and if one is a
virus then your PC is toast. Note: you won't even be able to select a
message for deletion without opening its attachments if preview is
turned on.

HTH
Martin

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old November 7th 03, 08:16 PM
Andreas Maurer

wrote:

Some month ago, I did delete r.a.s. from my list of subscribed newsgroups when I got a post with a virus attached. A month later (now) discovering few threads regarding Jantar I thought: "Maybe it was one-off infected posting". After TWO DAYS of my presence at r.a.s. forum, I have found a next "security patch" post with an attachment (this time I was very carefully moving my mouse to not to click accidentally as I had done it previously). Again.
What is going on with this newsgroup?! Do I have to give it a go definitely? :-/

Anyone knows the way to force the Outlook Express to not to download any posts with binary file attached from the news server?

I get about 50 of these postings. Per day. Spam. Ignore them.

Bye
Andreas
Old November 9th 03, 09:52 AM
Janusz Kesik

I've attached a simple text file to this message to see if the=20
newsreader I've just begun to use (Netscape 7.1's news reader) will=20
bring in an attachment.
=20
Anyone knows the way to force the Outlook Express to not to download =

any posts with binary file attached from the news server?
=20
No, but Netscape won't download messages over a size I can set. By=20
setting this at 20 kb, for example, it would reject messages with any =

of=20
the usual viruses because they are larger than 20 kb. Perhaps Outlook=20
can also do this.

I have checked, and OE can't do that. I was trying to move to =
Netscape, or rather the Mozilla, and it works well, but it seems to be =
more convenient for ones who have a LAN or something like LAN =
connection. In case of modem user it hasn't a feature I desire very =
much: downoading all the new messages for offline browsing.

Thanks for Your input,

--=20
Janusz Kesik

visit
www.leszno.pl - home of the www.css-leszno.it.pl

Old November 9th 03, 11:40 AM
Janusz Kesik

http://www.forteinc.com
=20
I've tried a few and this is the one I like best. It won't open
attachments unless you explicitly ask it to and won't display HTML
pages either - unless you ask it to, which I don't.

I have just downloaded it and starting to test it.

Outlook-specific advice: AFAIK its not possible to turn off attachment
download. However, here's something you CAN do. If you've got the
preview pane turned on (it's on by default) turn it off at once. When
a message is previewed all its attachments are opened and if one is a
virus then your PC is toast.=20

Done that with the email inbox, and it seems to be working for some =
time. I didn't want to do that with the newsgroup browser, but... well =
it looks like I'll have to.

Regards,

Old November 9th 03, 11:42 AM
Janusz Kesik

I get about 50 of these postings. Per day. Spam. Ignore them.

I didn't mean a bulk of advertisments in tha mailbox, but posts to the =
newsgroups containing an executable file which blows up Your comp. Spam =
is something You can simply ignore and delete, but these posts from =
newsgroups may cause a lot of harm, which I had experienced.

Old November 9th 03, 11:45 AM
Janusz Kesik

- like latest Microsoft Upgrade Patch....
- MS Security Session
- Microsoft Software Security Centre
and so on (which really do not come from MS)

Done that, it's easy and simple. Should be working... The emails are =
deleted from server, and the posts won't be downloaded from the news =
servers.

Old November 9th 03, 11:47 AM
Janusz Kesik

OK guys, thank You so much for Your input, I did what I was able to do =
at the moment, and I hope it helps at least a little bit.
I hope I'll be able to keep up to date with the r.a.s. and contribute a =
bit if I could.

Thanks again,

Old November 9th 03, 05:26 PM
Eric Greenwell

Janusz Kesik wrote:

No, but Netscape won't download messages over a size I can set. By
setting this at 20 kb, for example, it would reject messages with any of
the usual viruses because they are larger than 20 kb. Perhaps Outlook
can also do this.

I have checked, and OE can't do that. I was trying to move to Netscape, or rather the Mozilla, and it works well, but it seems to be more

convenient for ones who have a LAN or something like LAN connection. In
case of modem user it hasn't a feature I desire very much: downoading
all the new messages for offline browsing.

I use Netscape 7.1, which can be used to read messages off-line. Mozilla
probably can, too, since they are siblings. The menu items you use for
this a

File|Offline|Work Offline

File|Offline|Get Flagged Messages

You might also have to set some "Mail and Newsgroup Account Settings"
items (from the Mail window, not the Browser window):

Edit|Mail and Newsgroup Account Settings|Offline and Disk space

So, you can go online, get the subjects, go off-line, flag the ones you
want to read, go online, and get the flagged messages, go off-line, and
read at your leisure. That's how I do it when traveling with my laptop.