Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

Old July 25th 18, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 11:42:44 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
I've got an old Dell tower and an official Windows 2000 installation
disk.Â* Make me an offer!

Dan, 5J

Nah, they messed it up and started making the serial port useless with 2000.. I have an ME machine, and it has the port, but doesn't work. I will stick with the old TI Extenza running W98.

Steve Leonard
Old July 25th 18, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I have laptops with 98SE, since, it's "more betterer" than just 98.
;-)

I loved XP Pro, I deal with 10.

As field service, I had 95, 98SE, all service packs (most on thumbdrives) but had some stuff on floppies since I ran into some OS's that didn't support USB (like, Windows NT).
Old July 25th 18, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 07/25/2018 10:27 AM, Steve Leonard wrote:

Steve Leonard
Yep, I have a bunch of Model 20s and 25s. And L-Navs and S-Navs, too.

And when you whine on RAS about OLC not taking your GPS-NAV files, it's
both sad and a source of amusement at the same time.

If someone tries to use them for badges/records, I suppose they'd have
to find someone who can still handle the calibration.
Old July 25th 18, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 1:35:09 PM UTC-5, kinsell wrote:
On 07/25/2018 10:27 AM, Steve Leonard wrote:

Steve Leonard
Yep, I have a bunch of Model 20s and 25s. And L-Navs and S-Navs, too.

And when you whine on RAS about OLC not taking your GPS-NAV files, it's
both sad and a source of amusement at the same time.

If someone tries to use them for badges/records, I suppose they'd have
to find someone who can still handle the calibration.

Glad I can provide amusement for you, kinsell. I may have a short memory, but I don't recall whining about it on RAS for a while. I am sure you can take the time to find exactly when it was. I think I have discovered the issue I was having, and now have it resolved. Without having to buy something newer that doesn't work as well as the system I currently have.

As far as calibration, I think any lab will tell you it is simple. Just like any other logger, for that matter.

Steve Leonard
Old July 25th 18, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 07/25/2018 12:52 PM, Steve Leonard wrote:
[...]

Thanks to search engines, it was a July 2017 posting I was remembering:

Yeah, I know I should "buy a new logger". But, I fly old sailplanes.
:-) Anyone had success uploading a file from a Model 20 and getting a
valid score? I am 0 for 3. The first two, I wrote off to too few
satellites a couple of times during the flight. Didn't have that issue
today, but still a big red V.

I am using the same conversion program I used last year, and it says it
is making a valid file. It worked fine last year, but doesn't now.
Maybe they would like me better if I gave them money? And, please, no
"Use Skylines" comments.

Suggestions welcome.

Steve Leonard

Also came across the 2012 thread where OLC stopped accepting GPS-NAV
files for a while (not sure how long that lasted), and the 2014
discussion when the date problems started showing up. Since you can
record OLC-acceptable files now with a $10 app, it seems to me to be a
bit of false economy to stick with the old stuff. To each his own.

-Dave

Old July 25th 18, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 2:23:50 PM UTC-5, kinsell wrote:

[...]

Knew you could do it. :-)

As for "false economy", the phone I have won't run the $10 App, so I would need a different phone. It will also have a more expensive monthly phone plan, too. Keep working on the "false economy" argument if you like... Also, the phone won't interface with my L-Nav, so I still need to keep my "old junk" working to get what I really want, which is integrated variometer and glide computer in the cockpit. OLC is neat and great fun. Especially when something like this happens.

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....=2017&c=C0&sc=

There are plenty of cool things to see in the sky. We all need to get out and see more of them.

Steve Leonard
Old July 25th 18, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 07/25/2018 09:37 AM, JS wrote:

Tough to get rid of antiques (an example outside of soaring: Sidekick 99) if nobody has produced a replacement.
Jim

I was keeping a couple XP systems around for a different program,
outside of soaring. Then one day one of the free anti-virus programs
loaded an update that destroyed the systems. Assumed at the time it was
M$ pushing a poison pill, but found out later it was AVG or Avast, can't
remember which.

-Dave