Pilot's Political Orientation

Old April 16th 04, 06:15 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bill Denton" wrote in message

How much did you pay the FAA last year, other than the same
amount that non-flyers in your tax bracket paid?

Considerably more, as the primary source of FAA funding is user taxes which
are not paid by non-flyers.

Old April 16th 04, 06:45 PM
Tony Cox

wrote in message

If you are under thirty and aren't a Democrat, you have no heart.

If you are over thirty and aren't a Republican, you have no brain.

Or so I've been told...

Actually, it's another from Winston Churchill (who as I remember
changed political party himself, probably at age 30).

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man
who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."

Old April 16th 04, 07:03 PM
xyzzy

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"TTA Cherokee Driver" wrote in message

Sounds to me like pilots are a lot like farmers, sqawking for the gumbit
to cut their taxes and stay out of their "self-reliant" way, while
refusing to acknowledge (even to themselves) the massive government
spending, protection, and subsidies that make their activity
economically feasible.

What is this massive government spending, protection, and subsidy that makes
flying economically feasible and what is the source?

Who pays to build and maintain all those airports we fly out of?
Who pays to build and maintain all the navaids we depend on?
Who pays for all those air traffic controllers that are available for us
24/7?

etc. etc.

If you honestly think the user fees you pay in taxes on your 100LL cover
the cost of your use of this stuff, you are seriously fooling yourself.

Old April 16th 04, 07:36 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"xyzzy" wrote in message

Who pays to build and maintain all those airports we fly out of?

We do.

Who pays to build and maintain all the navaids we depend on?

We do.

Who pays for all those air traffic controllers that are available for us
24/7?

We do.

etc. etc.

If you honestly think the user fees you pay in taxes on your
100LL cover the cost of your use of this stuff, you are
seriously fooling yourself.

Am I? The last figures I saw had user fees covering about 85% of these
costs. Am I wrong?

Old April 16th 04, 08:00 PM
Gig Giacona

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
link.net...

I suspect the results would have been more illuminating had
they included the Libertarians and Greens as options.

How so? They'd both be included in the 19.79% that voted independent.

Wrong, I'd bet the majority og the 19.79% voted either Dem or Republican in
the last election.

Old April 16th 04, 09:31 PM
Musky

Churchill was a smart man, but I don't agree with him on this one. The
point seems to be that one's personal needs become more important than
the needs of the group after a certain age. I don't believe liberals
are that brainless, nor conservatives that heartless.

While it may happen to many people, for me it is nonsense. I am far
more liberal---and sure of myself in choosing so---since I turned 30.

Frankly since I began acquiring things like houses and airplanes, I have
realized how important these things are and how short life is. I have
realized that there is nothing magic about me that makes me deserve
these things more than other people.

I would rephrase it to say that anyone who is over 30 and is still a
liberal has done some important thinking about their rights and
responsibilities. Same goes for conservatives, I just don't agree with
the conclusions they came to. Que sera sera.

Old April 16th 04, 10:09 PM
Otis Winslow

Why is it that Liberals always feel guilty for what they have? And even
more worrisome is why do Liberals feel guilty for what OTHERS have
and want to take it away from them and give it to someone who hasn't
managed to earn and have much.

There was a time when I didn't have anything. I worked hard and now
I have things. I want to keep them. They're mine. I don't want Liberals to
play
Robin Hood with my stuff and give it to those not inclined to get their
own stuff.

Liberal govt has no legal right to take stuff from one group and give it
to another. They have a right to take from us enough to operate govt and
provide for our physical security. That's it. No Robin Hood stuff.

They know that at some point we will have had enough and their **** will
be in the wind. THAT is why they don't want us to have guns. We will
use them to defend our stuff. Now THAT scares them Liberals.

The very guiltless and Libertarian Otis W.

Old April 16th 04, 10:43 PM
d b

I only flew 150 hours last year.
I used an airport maintained (even partially) by taxpayers 3 times.
I used no navaids.

I'd say I didn't get my money's worth.

Old April 16th 04, 11:11 PM
Bob Noel

In article , xyzzy
wrote:

What is this massive government spending, protection, and subsidy that
makes
flying economically feasible and what is the source?

Who pays to build and maintain all those airports we fly out of?
Who pays to build and maintain all the navaids we depend on?
Who pays for all those air traffic controllers that are available for us
24/7?

etc. etc.

If you honestly think the user fees you pay in taxes on your 100LL cover
the cost of your use of this stuff, you are seriously fooling yourself.

If you think we need full strength 7000' runways for a cessna 150,
then you are seriously fooling yourself.

If you think we need 150' wide runways for a cessna 150, then
you are seriously fooling yourself.

If you think we need a full time control tower at most of our
fields, then you are seriously fooling yourself.

If you think we need radar coverage over (almost) all of CONUS, then you
are seriously fooling yourself.

You might want to consider how much money would be saved by the FAA
if tiny GA airplanes were to disappear.

--
Bob Noel
Old April 16th 04, 11:23 PM
Dave Stadt

"xyzzy" wrote in message
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"TTA Cherokee Driver" wrote in message

Sounds to me like pilots are a lot like farmers, sqawking for the gumbit
to cut their taxes and stay out of their "self-reliant" way, while
refusing to acknowledge (even to themselves) the massive government
spending, protection, and subsidies that make their activity
economically feasible.

What is this massive government spending, protection, and subsidy that

makes
flying economically feasible and what is the source?

Who pays to build and maintain all those airports we fly out of?

I do. Private, public access airport. Has never received a dime of
government money but does pay massive amounts of taxes. The vast majority
of airports I use are private, public acess airports.

Who pays to build and maintain all the navaids we depend on?

I have no use for them. Get rid of them far as I am concerned.

Who pays for all those air traffic controllers that are available for us
24/7?

I have no use for them and very, very, very seldom make use of them. They
could go away as far as I am concerned. Mostly they get in my way.

etc. etc.

If you honestly think the user fees you pay in taxes on your 100LL cover
the cost of your use of this stuff, you are seriously fooling yourself.

I get back almost no services for the fuel taxes I pay.