P-3C Orion In War On Terror

Old June 16th 07, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default P-3C Orion In War On Terror

According to:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...4-2320885a22dd

The P-3C is proving unexpectedly useful in overland operations in Iraq
and Afghanistan.

Fun fact:

The reason that maritime patrol aircraft (including the new P-8A) have
internal weapon bays is that the
torpedo fuel freezes or congeals at altitude.

Old June 17th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Don McIntyre

On Jun 15, 11:40 pm, wrote:
According to:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...plckController...

The P-3C is proving unexpectedly useful in overland operations in Iraq
and Afghanistan.

Fun fact:

The reason that maritime patrol aircraft (including the new P-8A) have
internal weapon bays is that the
torpedo fuel freezes or congeals at altitude.

And they (the bomb bay on P-3s) are heated, too. Of course I have NO
idea how warm they are...

Old June 17th 07, 09:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Some P-3's have also been fitted with a JSTARS-type Radar system:

http://aviationweek.typepad.com/ares...tesecret_.html

Old June 18th 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Harry Andreas

In article . com,
wrote:

Some P-3's have also been fitted with a JSTARS-type Radar system:

http://aviationweek.typepad.com/ares...tesecret_.html

The article mentioned above is incorrect: the radar in question, the
AN/APY-10 is NOT an AESA antenna.

The APY-10 is a deravitive of the APS-137, both use a parabolic dish.

JSTARS is a passive ESA system.

Harry

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old June 18th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

On Jun 18, 11:33 am, (Harry Andreas) wrote:
In article . com,

wrote:
Some P-3's have also been fitted with a JSTARS-type Radar system:

http://aviationweek.typepad.com/ares...tesecret_.html

The article mentioned above is incorrect: the radar in question, the
AN/APY-10 is NOT an AESA antenna.

The APY-10 is a deravitive of the APS-137, both use a parabolic dish.

JSTARS is a passive ESA system.

Harry

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur

I thought the APs-137 sat in the nose of the P-3, while the APY-10 is
the
improved version slated for the P-8.

The LSRS on the other hand, is a different radar that uses the large
"canoe"
radome mounted under the P-3's fuselage.

http://aviationweek.typepad.com/phot...7/p2_lsrs3.jpg

At least that's my understanding of the situation. If I'm wrong, feel
free
to correct me.

Old June 19th 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Harry Andreas

wrote:
[...]

You might be right. I may have looked at the wrong website.

cheers

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old June 19th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Tom Clarke

There's something kind of fishy with that photo! Note how gooned up the
nose radome is! Pretty lousy job with Adobe!

Tom, with a few (5K+) hours in the mighty Orion.

Old June 19th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
fudog50[_2_]

Tom,

Follow the P-3 Orion Research Group link in the Aviation Week article.

Then hit the "sneaky" button.

Everything you wanted to know about the P-3 and LSRS and Dallas is on
there.

They also have better pictures of the A/C with the nose radome
lightning strike.

Also they talk about the LSRS being used in theater in the mid east.

Best P-3 website on the net, these guys from Netherlands reall did a
great job.

Cheers!

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:27:04 -0400, "Tom Clarke"

Old June 19th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

On Jun 18, 7:27 pm, "Tom Clarke" wrote:
There's something kind of fishy with that photo! Note how gooned up the
nose radome is! Pretty lousy job with Adobe!

Tom, with a few (5K+) hours in the mighty Orion.

Hope they didn't smack into another Chinese fighter.

737 NG terror alert :) [email protected] Piloting 1 August 21st 06 03:28 PM
War on Terror Franklin Newton Piloting 29 May 25th 05 04:07 PM
GA Terror Threat Steve Foley Piloting 12 March 24th 05 06:01 PM
Fabricating Terror Grantland Military Aviation 0 August 4th 04 10:28 AM
The Terror of September 18th X98 Military Aviation 0 May 27th 04 11:17 AM