Whaddat?

Old June 30th 07, 08:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
William R Thompson

Default Whaddat?

This is capped from an episode of the original Outer Limits,
"The Architects of Fear." I think it's stock footage of a
Regulus 2 cruise missile, but I'm not certain. Can anyone
identify this bird?

--Bill Thompson

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Whaddat.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	13540
Old June 30th 07, 09:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Guy

F105 with half of a wing shot off??

Old June 30th 07, 11:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
William R Thompson

"Guy" wrote:

F105 with half of a wing shot off??

No; the screencap doesn't make this obvious, but when
you watch the footage in the episode you can see that
this whatever-it-is has a big JATO bottle under the fuselage.
The JATO is firing as well as the bird's main engine.

The Outer Limits episode was filmed in 1963, so the footage
is probably older than the episode. "Regulus II" is the
best guess I have, but there were so many bizarre test
missiles back then that I don't feel certain.

-- Bill Thompson

Old June 30th 07, 04:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bruce R

"William R Thompson" wrote in message
nk.net...

The Outer Limits episode was filmed in 1963, so the footage
is probably older than the episode. "Regulus II" is the
best guess I have, but there were so many bizarre test
missiles back then that I don't feel certain.

-- Bill Thompson

I think it might be a Snark missile. There were so many lost off the coast
of Florida during testing that the area around the cape was called "Snark
infested waters". I don't have any Snark missile photos, but if you Google
a search for them, you will see the large boosters "JATO type" bottles used
to get it up off the ground.

Bruce R

Old June 30th 07, 04:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bruce R

"William R Thompson" wrote in message
ink.net...
Can anyone
identify this bird?

--Bill Thompson

Snark missile video link:

http://www.archive.org/details/CEP152

This is what made me think it might be a Snark. Regulus had a blunt nose,
your original picture shows a pointe snout on the missile in question.

Bruce

Old June 30th 07, 04:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
William R Thompson

"Bruce R" wrote:

"William R Thompson" wrote:

The Outer Limits episode was filmed in 1963, so the footage
is probably older than the episode. "Regulus II" is the
best guess I have, but there were so many bizarre test
missiles back then that I don't feel certain.

I think it might be a Snark missile. There were so many lost off the
coast of Florida during testing that the area around the cape was called
"Snark infested waters". I don't have any Snark missile photos, but if
you Google a search for them, you will see the large boosters "JATO type"
bottles used to get it up off the ground.

Snark used two JATO engines, on either side of the fuselage,
while the bird in this picture seems to have only one JATO bottle
on the centerline.

One thing that baffles me here is the flame coming from what
would be the jet engine on a Regulus (or Snark, or Matador,
or Mace, or . . . ). I don't know if any of the Fifties-era cruise
missiles were fitted with afterburners, and if that's a rocket
engine, why would it need a (smaller) JATO booster? The
only reference I can find to a ramjet-powered cruise missile is
the Republic Hilo, and designation-systems.net

( http://www.designation-systems.net/d...pp4/other.html )

says the Hilo was probably never built.

I've tried to persuade myself that this missile was a special-effects
work by the Outer Limits, but they had a low budget and used
stock footage whenever they could get away with it. In addition
this doesn't look like their usual photography.

--Bill Thompson

Old June 30th 07, 06:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default Whaddat? - 1 attachment

"Bruce R" wrote in
:

"William R Thompson" wrote in message
ink.net...
Can anyone
identify this bird?

This is what made me think it might be a Snark. Regulus had a blunt
nose, your original picture shows a pointe snout on the missile in
question.

Bruce

Regulus II had a sharp nose. flipping the picture over and playing with
the contrast/newgative. I'm inclined to say Regulus II.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reg.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	13542

Old June 30th 07, 10:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
C Charland

We used to have a nuclear warhead-equipped CIM-10B Bomarc missile squadron
(No. 446 SAM Squadron) based just to the north of the city here (North Bay,
Ontario). We have a Bomarc on display downtown.

Although the picture gets quite grainy when blown up, it makes me believe
that it is indeed a Bomarc with the two Marquardt RJ43-MA-7 ramjets cutting.
After the 50,000 pound static thrust Thiokol XM-51 solid propellant
integral booster got the Bomarc going at a certain speed, the ramjets would
take effect.

Cheers...Chris