Parachute fails to save SR-22

Old January 21st 05, 04:22 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Happy Dog" wrote in message

OK. Now, is any of your speculation backed by data? I really doubt it.

Speculation does not require supporting data.

Old January 22nd 05, 12:49 AM
HECTOP

Capt.Doug wrote:
BTW, If you want the e-ticket ride of the year, I'll be test-flying a
Cheyenne 400 next week.

Just sent you an e-mail, I'm game. Gonna have plenty of time next week.

--
HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
Old January 22nd 05, 06:05 PM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:00:23 +0100, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

Hectop,

11 fatal accidents involving Cirrus SR-20/22 aircraft in last 4 years in the US alone...

And how many total NTSB reports during that time? And what percentage would then rate your
statement of "NTSB database is full of them SR-20/22's..."? See what I mean?

Real question is how many hours were SR-20/22 flown in those 4 years.

Demonick
Old January 22nd 05, 06:52 PM
Thomas Borchert

Real question is how many hours were SR-20/22 flown in those 4 years.

The current issue of Aviation Consumer has some numbers...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 22nd 05, 07:02 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:52:24 +0100, Thomas Borchert
wrote in
::

Real question is how many hours were SR-20/22 flown in those 4 years.

The current issue of Aviation Consumer has some numbers...

Is this the article to which you refer?
http://www.aviationconsumer.com/pub/...de/5420-1.html
Old January 23rd 05, 09:41 AM
Thomas Borchert

Larry,

Yes.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 25th 05, 05:24 AM
Capt.Doug

"Blueskies" wrote in message Where are you going to be?

I'm gonna be- laughing at the owner because this Piper blows away his
P-51!
"Stick to your toy- leave the Cheyenne for the real pilots!"

I'll probably get punched, but it will be worth it.

D.

Old February 5th 05, 01:14 AM
John W. Galvin

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
Right. And it is my understanding, that the SR-22's parachute system
was installed solely to provide a means of spin recovery that was
otherwise unavailable in this aircraft.

Not true in a couple of senses. One of the founders of Cirrus Design was
lucky enough to survive a mid-air collision. That, and providing another
"out" for the pilot when all else fails were the primary impetus behind
making the chute standard equipment. The Cirrus is supposedly recoverable
in a spin, with one change from the usual procedu the yoke is supposed to
be moved briskly forward to the stop. For JAA certification Cirrus had to
do spin testing.

I have been away from the newsgroups for probably a year. Coming back,
there seems to be a remarkable amount of anti-Cirrus sentiment being voiced
here. I guess, reading this thread, I would have to attribute a lot of it
to envy. Certainly there seems to be a lot of knee-jerk unsubstantiated
criticism.

--Galvin

Old February 5th 05, 06:27 AM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:14:09 -0600, "John W. Galvin"
wrote in
::

The Cirrus is supposedly recoverable in a spin, with one change
from the usual procedu the yoke is supposed to be
moved briskly forward to the stop.

That's interesting. First I've heard of it. What is the source of
that information?

I presume that spin recovery method is not mentioned in the POH. I
can imagine situations where it might be preferable to 'chute
deployment if it was truly a certifiable spin recovery option.

Old February 5th 05, 06:37 AM
John E. Carty

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:14:09 -0600, "John W. Galvin"
wrote in
::

The Cirrus is supposedly recoverable in a spin, with one change
from the usual procedu the yoke is supposed to be
moved briskly forward to the stop.

That's interesting. First I've heard of it. What is the source of
that information?

I presume that spin recovery method is not mentioned in the POH. I
can imagine situations where it might be preferable to 'chute
deployment if it was truly a certifiable spin recovery option.

When we were looking at possibly buying a Cirrus (last year I believe) I
contacted one of their reps about spin recoveries and was told that they
were never tested but could 'possibly' recover normally from a spin :-)