New Concept for Sailplane "racing"

Old December 12th 18, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Concept for Sailplane "racing"

It'll evolve into an electric motorplane race. What'll be funny is when they start arguing to be included in 'pure' sailplane record categories.
Old December 12th 18, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Emir Sherbi

All measurements comes with an associated uncertainty. In different points of the span there is also different uncertainty. What is the max that they will allow? How they will track the calibration? They will check before the grid the calibration status like the weight of the glider? There is a lot of room to cheat.

You are allowed to use an amount of energy from the batteries. Depending on the efficiency of the motor, controller, propeller is how useful is that energy. Here in Argentina we are building electric motors for the self launching system at half of the price of the European motors by reducing the efficiency only 3%. Imagine the cost of increasing it 1%.
Old December 13th 18, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If the electric energy used is so important how do you think tiny details like glider type will matter?!
Ventus3FES versus GP14 versus Silent etc. 🤔
Old December 13th 18, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Some day I will own a glider with an electric motor (I hope)

BUT being able to turn that motor on to complete a task is a horrible idea and in my opinion will hurt the entire Soaring concept.

I am pretty sure if you turn a motor on in a Sailing race you day is over.

"Turn the motor on your task is over" makes sense - Having a motor to have the option to fly home or to a safe airport - makes sense.

This idea will all but require a motor to compete. Boo.........BAD IDEA

On another thread many were OK with moving closer to the FAI rules - with this new direction I am not so sure the US pilots would agree with this direction.

WH
Old December 13th 18, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Thursday, December 13, 2018 at 6:40:55 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Some day I will own a glider with an electric motor (I hope)

BUT being able to turn that motor on to complete a task is a horrible idea and in my opinion will hurt the entire Soaring concept.

I am pretty sure if you turn a motor on in a Sailing race you day is over..

"Turn the motor on your task is over" makes sense - Having a motor to have the option to fly home or to a safe airport - makes sense.

This idea will all but require a motor to compete. Boo.........BAD IDEA

On another thread many were OK with moving closer to the FAI rules - with this new direction I am not so sure the US pilots would agree with this direction.

WH

If it happens it will be an entirely different competition class, a motor glider competition as opposed to a pure soaring comp, with different rules and mindsets. I think it is a good idea to give motor glider pilots a class of their own if they have the numbers and want it.

Mike
Old December 13th 18, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

This is a great way to stimulate innovation.
Old December 13th 18, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If you think computing fair glider handicaps is a bitch, then just try to quantify and enforce the "amount of energy" used for each aircraft.