C182 Glass Panel

Old February 27th 04, 02:11 AM
C J Campbell

"Mark" wrote in message
Side note... (sorry for the thread jacking).

Has anyone got the endorsement needed to fly a glass panel display
182? I think it's call a "Advance Technology Endorsement"? I'm
wondering what the checkout is like.

As I understand it, there is not a specific endorsement for this. You still
should get training from someone experienced in using the equipment, though.

Old February 27th 04, 02:24 AM
C J Campbell

"Scott Schluer" wrote in message
I've got a question about the glass panel displays in the C182 (or any

other
aircraft for that matter).

The Garmin G1000 is far more advanced technologically than the Avidynes and
other glass panels found in aircraft like the Cirrus. It actually allows
Cessna to claim technological leadership over these 'newer' designs.

The G1000 is fully integrated -- no separate radio or GPS stack like in the
Cirrus. It is also much higher (XGA) resolution and offers terrain shading.
The Avidyne only has VGA resolution and contour coloring. It is WAAS
capable, which the Cirrus avionics are not. There are numerous user
interface advantages to the Garmin, too.

Unfortunately, G1000 will be available only to OEMs for three to four years,
and then available as an upgrade to only a very small number of aircraft.
Garmin claims that the huge holes that need to be cut in the panel for the
G1000 can weaken some aircraft structurally and they don't want to bother
figuring out an upgrade path when they can sell all the units they can
manufacture now.

Personally, I think the better upgrade route would be the CNX-80 GPS/NAV/COM
with the MX-20 MFD. You can get an Avidyne PFD if you want that. Sure, it is
not quite the same as a G1000, but it is available now.

Old February 27th 04, 02:50 AM
Bill Denton

Just in case you're interested, Mooney is offering the G1000 in the Ovation
and Bravo. They're calling them the "GX" series. And you can read all about
it at www.mooney.com.

Old February 27th 04, 03:00 AM
C J Campbell

"Bill Denton" wrote in message
Just in case you're interested, Mooney is offering the G1000 in the

Ovation
and Bravo. They're calling them the "GX" series. And you can read all

about
it at www.mooney.com.

Diamond, too. Yeah. Cirrus and Lancair actually have some catching up to do.
Good. Maybe technological progress in aviation is possible after all. Even
better, maybe competition will return to the light plane market.

Now, if we could just talk Cessna into actually building some of these
wonder aircraft....

The dealers said that they had orders enough to build 250 more planes than
planned this year. Cessna grudgingly allowed 59 more. Still less than what
they sold last year. And then complained that sales are down for this year.
Idiots.

Old February 27th 04, 12:21 PM
Dennis O'Connor

uh huh, all your eggs in one basket....

I like gee-whiz gadgets as well as the next guy, but: Make sure you have a
couple of steam gauges, and a dinosauer radio with a vor/gs needle for when
all the magic smoke departs the glass panel...
denny

Old February 27th 04, 03:52 PM
C J Campbell

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message
uh huh, all your eggs in one basket....

I like gee-whiz gadgets as well as the next guy, but: Make sure you have a
couple of steam gauges, and a dinosauer radio with a vor/gs needle for

when
all the magic smoke departs the glass panel...
denny

Believe it or not, it is just as redundant as what you have now, probably
even more so. G1000 has a backup battery. Your current radios probably do
not. It has two separate panels, each with their own radio, GPS, and
navigation system. They run off separate electrical busses. The MFD
information can be displayed on the PFD.

Most small planes have only one GS. The G1000 gives you two. I think it is
extremely ignorant and unfair to characterize the system as "all your eggs
in one basket."

In the Cessna installation, you still have the steam gauges in a row across
the bottom of the panel, but it is not true in all other installations, nor
is it especially necessary.