Removing original equipment

Old January 31st 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Removing original equipment

Is there any reason I can't remove my factory OAT and throw it out? I
have a mechanical OAT gauge but would rather just use my EDM OAT gauge.
The JPI says their gauge is only certified as "supplemental" but does
the FAA even care if I have an OAT at all?
I've been replacing the original OAT gauge every 2 years because it's
mechanical and wears out (the needle starts to vibrate too much).

-Robert

Old January 31st 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

Is there any reason I can't remove my factory OAT and throw it out?

Possibly. You didn't say whether your aircraft was experimental or
factory-built, but for the sake of argument, I'll say that it is factory
built.

Factory built aircraft have an "equipment list" document shipped with the
aircraft showing required and optional equipment installed at the factory.
THey also conform to a type certificate. If either of these documents shows
the OAT gauge as required equipment, then the replacement has to have a
Supplemental Type Certificate if it is going to replace required equipment.

Having said that, I don't know of any aircraft that requires an OAT gauge on
the required equipment list, but then again, I haven't researched the matter
at length.

Jim

Old January 31st 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Just stop replacing the factory OAT and leave it....

denny

Old January 31st 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Just stop replacing the factory OAT and leave it....

I could do that, but I'd like to remove it because it sticks out of the
windshield, looks ugly, blocks my view, slows the plane down etc.

-Robert

Old January 31st 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Oops, I think you may have just said the magic word. If there is a hole
drilled in the windshield for it I would not be willing to remove it and
plug the hole without an OK from my FSDO maintenance inspector. I don't
mind fooling around where I know the consequences, but losing a windshield
in flight isn't on my list of Good Things (tm) to do.

Jim

ups.com...

Old January 31st 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

If there is a hole
drilled in the windshield for it I would not be willing to remove it and
plug the hole without an OK from my FSDO maintenance inspector

I guess that's why we have A&Ps. To me, just a pilot, it didn't seem
like a big deal to put a plug in to replace the OAT.

-Robert

Old January 31st 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Or did the Executive have a two piece windshield with the OAT through the
center post? Didn't the single piece come out with the 201? Good
question... good reason for not just pulling it and plugging the hole.
Jim

Old January 31st 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Or did the Executive have a two piece windshield with the OAT through the
center post? Didn't the single piece come out with the 201? Good
question... good reason for not just pulling it and plugging the hole.

I have a late model Executive so its much more like a 201. I have a one
piece windshield and the OAT goes through a rather unprofessional
looking hole drilled right into the plexiglass. I figured I would just
plug up the hole, but I've never been to an A&P class.

-Robert

Old February 2nd 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

you may
have significant mechanical problems far beyond not knowing the exact
temperature.....

I don't think so, I think I"m just a picky owner. I've never flown a
rental plane that didn't have this problem. Since I fly a lot of IFR
its important for me to know 0 C vs 2 C.

-Robert