Im ashamed for all of us.

Old June 9th 21, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Someone watching

Default Im ashamed for all of us.

Soaring friends! I've spent my life in soaring and have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to attract a younger crowd. Pictures of Old guys in glider hats has always been at the bottom of my list of ways. Until I heard some news out of Moriarty NM Where a gentleman from Mexico bought a hangar and some gliders there with the expectation that him and his 15 year old son would be taken in with open arms in our small loving community and be tought to fly. AWESOME right? Hook someone young with the means to broadcast soaring over multiple countries and help keep the next generation in!
Sounds like the start of something great Until the 15 year old taking a walk around the airport and is asked by unnamed Stemme owner if he walked or swam over the border. Which promptly caused the father to see we apparently have some racist scumbags in this small community and sell his newly acquired glider stuff to get away. So thank you DStemme owner, you have officially lowered the bar of humanity for us.
Old June 9th 21, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
R[_4_]

Nuts!

Old June 9th 21, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

My my...Â* This reminds me of the kindergarten game wherein the teacher
tells one student a simpla story and he passes it on to another and she
to another.Â* At the other end of the line the story is not recognizable.

The simple truth is that my wife and I were having lunch in the Moriarty
airport office when the young man came in and we gave him a friendly
greeting.Â* I asked questions about who he was, where he was from, and if
he was the new student pilot I'd seen at Sundance.Â* As I recall when he
told me that he was the new student and that he was from Mexico and he
was here to learn to fly gliders, I welcomed him and asked him how he
got here, walk, swim, drive, what?Â* He had no car and seemed to have
simply dropped in from nowhere.Â* He told me he came in the (I think it
was a) TBM-900 which was parked outside.Â* Nice!Â* I asked if he flew it
and he told me that their pilot flew him up for the lessons.Â* Wow!Â*
That's sweet!

So I told him that I'd heard a rumor that a wealthy glider pilot in
Mexico had bought an older glass glider and cut it in half along the
longitudinal axis and hung in on the wall of his hangar as a
conversation piece.Â* He told me it was true and that it was either his
father or grandfather who did that.Â* He also told me that his father had
bought a hangar on the airport and was going to fly at Moriarty.Â* My
wife and I told him of our aircraft, where our hangar is located, and
invited him to visit us at any time.

I had no indication that he was offended in any way and it saddens to
learn that he was.Â* It's especially sad to me to learn only today at the
airport before reading the below comments that they had placed the
hangar up for sale.

But billywilliams, you should at least try to hear both sides of a story
before calling names.Â* Believe what you want about me but the name
calling is pretty small.

Dan
5J

Old June 10th 21, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 6:08:48 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
My my... This reminds me of the kindergarten game wherein the teacher
tells one student a simpla story and he passes it on to another and she
to another. At the other end of the line the story is not recognizable.

The simple truth is that my wife and I were having lunch in the Moriarty
airport office when the young man came in and we gave him a friendly
greeting. I asked questions about who he was, where he was from, and if
he was the new student pilot I'd seen at Sundance. As I recall when he
told me that he was the new student and that he was from Mexico and he
was here to learn to fly gliders, I welcomed him and asked him how he
got here, walk, swim, drive, what? He had no car and seemed to have
simply dropped in from nowhere. He told me he came in the (I think it
was a) TBM-900 which was parked outside. Nice! I asked if he flew it
and he told me that their pilot flew him up for the lessons. Wow!
That's sweet!

So I told him that I'd heard a rumor that a wealthy glider pilot in
Mexico had bought an older glass glider and cut it in half along the
longitudinal axis and hung in on the wall of his hangar as a
conversation piece. He told me it was true and that it was either his
father or grandfather who did that. He also told me that his father had
bought a hangar on the airport and was going to fly at Moriarty. My
wife and I told him of our aircraft, where our hangar is located, and
invited him to visit us at any time.

I had no indication that he was offended in any way and it saddens to
learn that he was. It's especially sad to me to learn only today at the
airport before reading the below comments that they had placed the
hangar up for sale.

But billywilliams, you should at least try to hear both sides of a story
before calling names. Believe what you want about me but the name
[...]

Now wait a minute, it that the same ASG29 that was part of the estate of the lady that flew put of Moriarty? If so the Mexican newspaper mogul paid way too much for it and probably everything else and decided that the 29 was too much glider for his 15 year old grandson to fly. Certainly wish my grandfather could have cast upon me an ASG29 to learn how to fly gliders in. This is going to get very interesting! The Purist , Old Bob
Old June 10th 21, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Carris[_2_]

Ahh Racism rears its ugly head on RAS in a very disgusting and slanderous post.

Dan a racist that picks of teenagers? That is not Dan.

Usually one does not have a best friend that would be the target on ones alleged racism, so I don't think so.

An awkward miscommunication or misunderstanding perhaps.

Mike Carris

Old June 11th 21, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
biff the dotard

That's quite a misunderstanding, if it's a misunderstanding.

If what the OP alleges is true, 5J's explanation is one-sided at best.

If 5J's explanation is true, then he's a decent, misunderstood person who likely feels bad for possibly causing the family to abruptly sell U.S. property and return to Mexico with a terrible memory of an American, Moriarty, America, etc. It's conceivable that such a decent person, guided by a moral or civic obligation, would try to reach out to the boy and his family to set things right.

Either way, this story would make more sense if we could somehow hear from both sides.
Old June 12th 21, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 3:01:02 PM UTC-5, biff the dotard wrote:
That's quite a misunderstanding, if it's a misunderstanding.

If what the OP alleges is true, 5J's explanation is one-sided at best.

If 5J's explanation is true, then he's a decent, misunderstood person who likely feels bad for possibly causing the family to abruptly sell U.S. property and return to Mexico with a terrible memory of an American, Moriarty, America, etc. It's conceivable that such a decent person, guided by a moral or civic obligation, would try to reach out to the boy and his family to set things right.

Either way, this story would make more sense if we could somehow hear from both sides.

Perhaps the 'other' side could post their name as Dan has above?

Old June 12th 21, 01:20 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Miscommunications and misunderstandings are ubiquitous these days. Who among us has not had something we have said misinterpreted or taken out of context? Not many I am sure. There are those who purposely turn things said around to their own liking.

As for trying to attract the younger crowd, what exactly is being done to make this happen? I know as a youngster what I did for an airplane ride, mowed grass, pumped gas and kissed a lot of ass. It appears today most want daddy to pay for their flying lessons but I'm sure if enough effort was put forth you could find those kids who dream of flying and would do what it takes, chasing rope, hooking up, doing farm labor.

Maybe if someone in the glider world had a "Master's Degree in Marketing and the Advertising Industry" they could step forward and outline a plan of action for the industry as a whole. Or then again, maybe not.

Walt Connelly
Former Tow Pilot
Now Happy Helicopter Pilot
Old June 13th 21, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Amy Johnson

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 4:02:49 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

that 29 went to vegas and is being flown regularly.