Flying a PA-28 140 from Maine to Georgia in a week end ...

Old December 22nd 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bud_of_yours

Default Flying a PA-28 140 from Maine to Georgia in a week end ...

How I flew my '68 Cherokee 140 to Savannah from Maine...
Or
"Wow! My butt is sore..."

Here is the set up.

I found a '68 Cherokee 140 that was a good fit for my wife and me.
It was priced right, it looked pretty good, and it had almost
everything I needed in it so I could get my instrument rating. There
were a couple of flies in the ointment, however. For one thing, it was
in Sanford, Maine. And for another it was out of annual. I sent the
guy a deposit, and he put it directly in the shop to get the annual
done. While that was being done I asked the mechanic to go ahead and
install pitot heat so that I could certify the plane for IFR. Between
the annual snowballing into a $6K affair, and the parts for the pitot
heat addition not coming in the date for me to fly up and retrieve the
plane was slipping. The weekend prior to the Holiday weekend was my
last hope. If we hadn't been able to get it then it would be
mid-January before I could have my own plane at home.

Here is the story.

After rescheduling eTickets once ($$$ my wife and I were finally on our
way from Savannah International at 5:30 pm on Friday. We were to
arrive in Portland, Maine at 9:37 pm. After being diverted due to fog,
landing in Boston, and being bussed back up to Portland, we finally got
in bed at 2:30 am.

The seller picked us up the next morning at 8:15 am and took us to see
the plane. Of course the plane wasn't quite ready... Seems that the
airspeed indicator was screwed up and when they checked out the
pitot/static system it showed up. So we were waiting on UPS to bring
the new one.

My insurance company required that I have an hour with a CFI before we
left for home. The seller had booked me for an hour on Saturday,
however, my hour came and went as the mechanics were installing the new
airspeed indicator. My wife and I decided to go get lunch while the
instructor took his scheduled student up for an hour.

By the time we finally got the plane rolled out, fueled up, and flown
for an hour it was nearly 2:30 pm. The folks at the FBO really were
concerned that we would blast off into the wild blue in an unfamiliar
airplane for a LONG VFR NIGHT cross country. They suggested that we
wait until morning to leave, but, we both felt that we needed to at
least "start" for home.

We took a quick look at the sectional and picked out something down the
road that looked big enough to have a place to eat and sleep. Bedford,
MA was going to be our first stop.
As in a lot of first flights after annual, we had a little problem show
up as we headed into Bedford's Hanscomb Field. It seems that they
could receive our Mode C. In fact, they couldn't see our transponder
at all. *Damn!* After having us do a couple of turns for
identification, they let us come on in and land. Less than an hour
into the trip and we've already had an issue.

By the way, Signature Flight Support treated us like a King and Queen.
Even though we taxied up in a lowly Cherokee, the treated us just as if
we had flown in a 747.

The next morning at 8:00 am we headed out. Because the xponder was on
the fritz, the controller asked us to cycle the power three or four
times before she finally turned us loose. Because I knew we were going
to be difficult for ATC to see and track I punched a route into the
GPSMAP 195 that kept us clear of all the busiest airports.

We flew southwesterly into a 30kt headwind for about 2 hours before
Mother Nature notified my wife that it was time for us to stop. We
took a restroom break in Middletown, NY and continued on, after going
around and landing to close her door.

Our next stop was Reading, PA, west of Philadelphia. After a pretty
good lunch and 44 gallons of 100LL we were on our way again. We turned
the corner and headed south at Hagerstown, MD. I knew that we were
going to have to make at least one more fuel stop before we got home so
I picked out Lynchburg, VA. I figured that if we could make it that
far, even if we had troubles Brother Falwell could probably pray us on
home !!! (just kidding...)

We made it to Lynchburg at about 3:30 pm, bought fuel and picked up
some snacks. Leaving Lynchburg headed south we saw about 120 kts
groundspeed !!! Whoo Wooo, we're cooking now!!! One of the most
beautiful sunsets I've ever seen was as the sun went down over the
mountains south of Lynchburg.

Somewhere over southern North Carolina we were cruising along at 4500
AMSL when the ground lights went out !!! We ran through a layer of
little puffy clouds. I dropped down to 3000 AMSL for the remainder of
the trip.

We arrived in the Savannah, GA area at about 8:30 pm. What a welcomed
sight! We were on the ground and tied down by 8:45 pm.

I learned quite a lot on this flight. I learned that the little
Cherokee was a good, dependable plane. During the annual it had two
cylinders replaced, so I flew it firewalled all the way home to break
in the cylinders and it never missed a beat.

In one day I flew the plane more hours than the previous owner had
flown it in the last year.

Old December 22nd 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
pgbnh

Sounds like an adventure, but also a great opportunity to get acquainted
with the new plane. I have been to Sanford often (based at MHT about 50nm
SE).

But a question about your comment:
"I asked the mechanic to go ahead and
install pitot heat so that I could certify the plane for IFR"

Not disputing that pitot heat is not a good idea, but why do you believe it
is required for ifr certification. And what exactly IS IFR certification.
Only items I was aware of are the flight instrument requirements, the
pitot/static requirements, and the transponder requirement. (and of course
having the necessary electronics to navigate). Not sure aboiut P/S though.
ups.com...

Old December 22nd 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Barney Rubble

Hmm, let's see, low time in make/model, just out of annual, a touch of get
homeitis combined with a long XC. No mode C due to transponder on the fritz,
inadvertent flight into IMC at night and subsequent scud running , departing
with door unlatched....
You do like to live on the edge don't you?
I guess you also landed in Reading with 3 galloons of useable fuel (50 gal
capacity/47 useable on a standard 1968 Cherokee 140), hmm 7GPH, it sounds
like you broke 91.151.

I'm glad you have a new plane and I'm happy for you, but this trip report
should set off some alarm bells about you flight planning and decision
making....

- Barney

Old December 22nd 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bud_of_yours

pgbnh wrote:
Sounds like an adventure, but also a great opportunity to get acquainted
with the new plane. I have been to Sanford often (based at MHT about 50nm
SE).

But a question about your comment:
"I asked the mechanic to go ahead and
install pitot heat so that I could certify the plane for IFR"

Not disputing that pitot heat is not a good idea, but why do you believe it
is required for ifr certification. And what exactly IS IFR certification.
Only items I was aware of are the flight instrument requirements, the
pitot/static requirements, and the transponder requirement. (and of course
having the necessary electronics to navigate). Not sure aboiut P/S though.

I'm not sure that pitot heat is actually required... But, I'm sure
gonna feel better with it. At some point I may have heard someone say
that pitot heat was a requirement, and just added it to my list of
"common knowledge". LOL

Old December 22nd 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tom418

Some years ago I sold my previous Seneca on Long Island. The buyer was a
school in Florida, who flew up (co rep and their CFI) to take delivery. As
they were preparing to leave, their CFI, while filing IFR, was asking me: "
how fast does it go?" Hmmm.... This guy was suppposedly experienced in
Senecas, was about to fly several hundred miles IFR in a plane he had
"experience" in and didn't know what to put as TAS on the flight plan.
Wonderful.

Old December 22nd 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Barney Rubble wrote:
Hmm, let's see, low time in make/model, just out of annual, a touch of get
homeitis combined with a long XC. No mode C due to transponder on the fritz,
inadvertent flight into IMC at night and subsequent scud running , departing
with door unlatched....
You do like to live on the edge don't you?
I guess you also landed in Reading with 3 galloons of useable fuel (50 gal
capacity/47 useable on a standard 1968 Cherokee 140), hmm 7GPH, it sounds
like you broke 91.151.

I'm glad you have a new plane and I'm happy for you, but this trip report
should set off some alarm bells about you flight planning and decision
making....

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was somewhat disconcerted about you
flying off with your bride in an airplane that you had low time in etc.

I am glad you are serious about getting an instrument rating though.
Old December 22nd 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

tom418 wrote:
Some years ago I sold my previous Seneca on Long Island. The buyer was a
school in Florida, who flew up (co rep and their CFI) to take delivery. As
they were preparing to leave, their CFI, while filing IFR, was asking me: "
how fast does it go?"

You should have said: "uhh.. it goes pretty fast..."

Old December 23rd 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Barney Rubble" is absolutely correct...
"Bud" doesn't realize just how close he was to introducing himself and
his wife to the (lack of) glide capability of his new Cherokee 140.

Old December 23rd 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Barney Rubble wrote:
I think you meant this for the OP. I already have an IR....

- Barney

That's affirmative.

Passing of Richard Miller [email protected] Soaring 5 April 5th 05 01:54 AM
Mountain flying instruction: McCall, Idaho, Colorado too! [email protected] General Aviation 0 March 26th 04 11:24 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
Progress on Flying Car Steve Dufour General Aviation 5 December 19th 03 03:48 PM