Boeing $188 million side-firing AC-130U gunship contract

Old December 13th 03, 08:08 AM
Larry Dighera

Default Boeing $188 million side-firing AC-130U gunship contract

BOEING CO. has won a $188 million contract to modify three
C-130H2 aircraft into a side-firing AC-130U gunship, the Air
Force said on Monday. The Air Force said work on the contract
would be completed by September 2006. The AC-130U "Spooky"
gunship provides close air support, air interdiction and armed
reconnaissance for the U.S. military. It is one of the most
complex aircraft weapon systems in the world today, containing
more than 609,000 lines of software in its mission computers
and avionics systems. Although it still uses the Lockheed
Martin Corp. C-130 airframe, the AC-130U gunship incorporates
the latest sensor technology, along with an entirely new
fire-control system, to substantially increase its combat
effectiveness.
(Reuters 06:28 PM ET 12/08/2003)

Mo
http://q1.schwab.com/s/r?l=248&a=898...a&s=rb0312 08

Old December 13th 03, 08:43 PM
Tony Williams

Larry Dighera wrote in message . ..
[...]

Last I heard, they were thinking of replacing both the 40mm Bofors and
the 25mm GAU-12/U with the 30mm GAU-8/A, on the grounds of commonality
with the weapon and ammunition in the A-10. Anyone know of a source
dealing with this?

Tony Williams
Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
Discussion forum at: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/
Old December 13th 03, 09:55 PM
Greg Hennessy

On 13 Dec 2003 12:43:34 -0800, (Tony
Williams) wrote:

Mo
http://q1.schwab.com/s/r?l=248&a=898...a&s=rb0312 08

Last I heard, they were thinking of replacing both the 40mm Bofors and
the 25mm GAU-12/U

I wonder are they running out of WW2 stocks of L/60 ammo for the bofors ?
LOL!

with the 30mm GAU-8/A, on the grounds of commonality
with the weapon and ammunition in the A-10. Anyone know of a source
dealing with this?

Now that would be impressive with some form of smart fuzing.

greg

--
Once you try my burger baby,you'll grow a new thyroid gland.
I said just eat my burger, baby,make you smart as Charlie Chan.
Old December 14th 03, 12:52 AM
Les Matheson

The 25mm is going to be the standard. Eventually they plan to put them on
the AC-130H also. The 40mm has run out of ammunition and no more is being
purchased.
--
Les
F-4C(WW),D,E,G(WW)/AC-130A/MC-130E EWO (ret)

/

Old December 14th 03, 04:28 AM
Eric Moore

Are we ever gonna see an AC-130 based on the C-130J?
Old December 14th 03, 04:58 AM
Ragnar

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

BOEING CO. has won a $188 million contract to modify three
C-130H2 aircraft into a side-firing AC-130U gunship, the Air
Force said on Monday.

Nice. But when do we get the AC-5?

Old December 14th 03, 06:07 AM
Jim Atkins

I'd pay money to see an AC-5 in action, but I'm not holding my breath. Come
to think of it, they could probably put the guns from the Iowa on that
thing.

--
Jim Atkins
Twentynine Palms CA USA

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
- Groucho Marx

Old December 14th 03, 10:46 AM
Greg Hennessy

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 18:52:35 -0600, "Les Matheson"
wrote:

The 40mm has run out of ammunition and no more is being
purchased.

Really ? I thought I was joking when I posted earlier ?

Did the US ever have the Bofors L/70 in service to replace the L/60s with ?

greg

Old December 14th 03, 06:49 PM
Mary Shafer

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 06:07:58 GMT, "Jim Atkins"
wrote:

I'd pay money to see an AC-5 in action, but I'm not holding my breath. Come
to think of it, they could probably put the guns from the Iowa on that
thing.

Making an AC-5 might be a good example of the precept that just
because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

But I'd like to see it in action, too.

Mary