Big Kahunas

Old November 30th 03, 06:41 PM
R. Hubbell

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 02:52:57 GMT
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Now you can't believe that he doesn't care about the political boost?
Improving moral was just a small part.

Dude, GW could have stayed at his ranch in Texas, and no one would have said
a thing. Flying into Iraq took big balls (however you spell it in
Spanish!), no matter how you cut it.

Now you know full well that if he had gone to Texas we'd all heard it
from the pilots down tere. :-)

The risk to Bush was small, the risk to those defending the airspace
and ground was definitely increased.

Election year stunt. I doubt he thought of it. Most likely it was Rice
since she went too. Rice: "I know, go to Iraq instead of Texas"
Bush: "Fine but you're going too."

And I really don't think he gives a rat's ass about what ANYONE thinks about
his motives for going there -- which is one reason I happen to like the guy.
I may not agree with his politics, but it really is quite refreshing to have
a President who is more than just a poll-taker.

He only gives a "rat's ass" when it's time for an election.
I don't like the guy, I'll spare you the reasons why.

R. Hubbell

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 30th 03, 06:45 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Dan Luke" writes:

"Big John" wrote:
I thought Clinton on Omaha Beach took the cake for chutzpah?

Oh, for sure Clinton was a master of the photo opp, too.

Both of those draft dodgers, Bush and Clinton, have an awful lot of
chutzpah to strike military poses.

Clinton avoided the draft honestly, for a war most of us now recognize
to have been a tragic mistake, and has always been honest about it.

Bush used family pull to get a safe *and* sought-after National Guard
berth and then appears to have been AWOL a lot, while being rather
pro-war, which strikes many of us as hypocritical.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, , www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
RKBA: noguns-nomoney.com www.dd-b.net/carry/
Old November 30th 03, 06:46 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Tom S." writes:

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"Big John" wrote:
I thought Clinton on Omaha Beach took the cake for chutzpah?

Oh, for sure Clinton was a master of the photo opp, too.

Both of those draft dodgers, Bush and Clinton, have an awful lot of
chutzpah to strike military poses.

Ummm...Bush the F-102 pilot was a draft dodger? My cousin, the "Air National
Guard F-100 pilot that did a tour of Vietnam" would pop you for that. (And
don't bother with the bogus crap, several times debunked, about his going
AWOL.)

No evidence of his having been present; how would *you* interpret it?

And he certainly joined the NG to avoid the draft. The bad part is he
used pull to get a desirable berth, and apparently to protect him from
his bad behavior too.
Old November 30th 03, 07:39 PM
Bob Noel

In article , David Dyer-Bennet
wrote:

Clinton avoided the draft honestly

ROTFLMAO!

--
Bob Noel
Old November 30th 03, 07:52 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

wrote:

Clinton avoided the draft honestly

ROTFLMAO!

Same way I did -- got deferred until the draft ended.
Old November 30th 03, 10:14 PM
mike regish

I did too. By joining the navy. Kept me out of Vietnam. And I'm not the
least bit ashamed of it. Seemed at the time to be a bogus war. Turned out,
as uninformed as I was, I was right.

mike regish

Old November 30th 03, 10:47 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

"mike regish" writes:

I did too. By joining the navy. Kept me out of Vietnam. And I'm not the
least bit ashamed of it. Seemed at the time to be a bogus war. Turned out,
as uninformed as I was, I was right.

Yeah, I can't claim that my distaste for that war at that time was
based on fully conclusive evidence. But it *is* nice when hindsight
confirms ones judgement of the moment.
Old December 1st 03, 12:29 AM
Jay Honeck

Yeah, I can't claim that my distaste for that war at that time was
based on fully conclusive evidence. But it *is* nice when hindsight
confirms ones judgement of the moment.

Funny thing is, many historians (with the benefit of increasing distance
from the emotional event) are now viewing our decision to fight the Viet Nam
war as pivotal in our ultimate Cold War victory over the Soviet Union. Our
willingness to shed the blood of American boys in Viet Nam seems to have
genuinely stopped the Soviets from further mischief all over the world.

Maybe the war wasn't so bogus after all?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 1st 03, 01:11 AM
Tom S.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Yeah, I can't claim that my distaste for that war at that time was
based on fully conclusive evidence. But it *is* nice when hindsight
confirms ones judgement of the moment.

Funny thing is, many historians (with the benefit of increasing distance
from the emotional event) are now viewing our decision to fight the Viet

Nam
war as pivotal in our ultimate Cold War victory over the Soviet Union. Our
willingness to shed the blood of American boys in Viet Nam seems to have
genuinely stopped the Soviets from further mischief all over the world.

Five years after the fall of Saigon, the USSR invaded Afghanistan. So much
for that theory.

The only thing the kept the Soviets from mischief was going broke.

Maybe the war wasn't so bogus after all?

It was bogus from start to finish.

Old December 1st 03, 01:55 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Yeah, I can't claim that my distaste for that war at that time was
based on fully conclusive evidence. But it *is* nice when hindsight
confirms ones judgement of the moment.

Funny thing is, many historians (with the benefit of increasing distance
from the emotional event) are now viewing our decision to fight the Viet Nam
war as pivotal in our ultimate Cold War victory over the Soviet Union. Our
willingness to shed the blood of American boys in Viet Nam seems to have
genuinely stopped the Soviets from further mischief all over the world.

Now, *that's* a new one on me. I thought it was *their* loss in
Afghanistan that did it really.

Maybe the war wasn't so bogus after all?

Still looks grotesquely immoral to me -- fighting to support an
unpopular repressive dictatorship.