motorized paraglyders

Old December 20th 04, 02:50 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Morgans wrote:

Uh, watching them fly over my house, which is in city limits, for one.

Is it in a "congested area" of the city?

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old December 20th 04, 06:51 PM
Morgans

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote

Is it in a "congested area" of the city?

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble

enterprise.

Define congested. Therein is the rub.

Regulations for homebuilts, at one time, did not allow flight over congested
areas. After a period of time, no one cared when they flew anywhere they
wanted. The regs were changed, as I recall, with a ruling, rather than a
re-write.

Seems to me the same condition exists with ultralights. Stay above 500 ft,
or high enough to stretch a glide to an area where an emergency landing is
possible and safe, and nothing will be said.

Can anyone cite examples of people being told not to fly somewhere? (other
than controlled airspace)
--
Jim in NC

Old December 21st 04, 02:21 AM
PJ Hunt

Ok, sorry for the confusion. When you responded to a quoted reg, it appeared
that you were implying there was more to the reg than the rest of us were
seeing. Now I understand you were simply stating what you had been
observing, although as I'm sure you know, seeing someone do something by no
means implies it's right or even legal under the regs.

You're absolutely correct about the congested area issue. This ambiguity is
the exact problem I have with many of the regs. There's too much room for
personal interpretation and depending on who you talk to or who you ****
off, you'll get a different interpretation on any given day.

I would take a guess though that if it's in the city limits as you stated,
that would probably be interpreted by the FAA as a congested area, but of
course dealing with the FAA, I would NOT be willing to bet any money on it.

And then of course even if you don't violate any regs at all, and something
still goes wrong, you may well be facing the good ole catch all "91.13:
Careless and Reckless". It's kind of like the FAA's trump card. Their Ace
in the Hole.

You also made a question in your post to GR Patterson;

Can anyone cite examples of people being told not to fly somewhere? (other
than controlled airspace)

I'm not sure I understand your question, but 91.119 applies to all aircraft
in all airspace, including uncontrolled.

Another example is the "REQUEST" that pilots remain above 2000 feet (1000 in
some cases) in many areas such as National Parks, Wildlife Reserves, Bird
Areas, Wilderness Areas etc etc. This is noted by the dashed blue line on
sectional charts. Many if not most of these areas or only Class G. Many
any people think this is a Reg, but it is only a request and not regulated.

In Denali National Park where I have flown for many years, there has been
talk between the NPS and FAA for the last few years to close certain areas
of the park to aircraft. Denali is all Class G (uncontrolled) below class
E.

I'm sure if I gave it enough thought I could probably come up with a few
more examples, as well as other people here also. Then again maybe I just
completely misunderstood your question and I"m going off in the wrong
direction.

PJ

Here's to the duck who swam a lake and never lost a feather,
May sometime another year, we all be back together.
JJW

Old December 26th 04, 02:01 PM
Dana M. Hague

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 01:24:38 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:

On 19 Dec 2004 13:07:07 -0800, wrote in
s.com::

Larry Dighera wrote:
On 19 Dec 2004 09:18:16 -0800,
wrote in
. com::

Is it FAR 103 that regulates motorized paraglyders and such?

That's a good question; it might be Part 105.

Part 105 is he

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...05_main_02.tpl

Part 103 is he

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...03_main_02.tpl

Thanks. I'm thinking Part 105 refers to non-powered chutes, but maybe I
missed something there. 103 may apply, or maybe they aren't regulated
at all, but that's hard to believe because I've seen them as high as
3000' agl, where they can mix with airplanes.

Paragliders and hang gliders, powered or not, fall under Part 103.

-Dana
If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Politicians are those who deal with the problems which would not exist if they didn't exist.