Airports/Airspace

Old March 15th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Airports/Airspace

Lets get to the bottom of this.
I constantly hear people refer to Airports as being class B,C or D
Airports. Any of you who have thorough knowledge and understanding of
Airports will know that there are only two kinds of Airports in all of
our National Airspace System (NAS). There is Towered and Non-Towered
Airports. We have Class A,B,C,D,E and G Airspace. The Airspace overlays
the Airports. Now show me where in the Aeronautical Information Manual
(AIM) or an FAA Approved government publication that mentions a class
B,C,D Airport. You will not find it...

Take the time and choose your words carefully.

Cjamairway

Old March 15th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

We have Class A,B,C,D,E and G Airspace. The Airspace overlays
the Airports. Now show me where in the Aeronautical Information Manual
(AIM) or an FAA Approved government publication that mentions a class
B,C,D Airport. You will not find it...

Hey, Chad, I see you finally are dipping your toes in the exciting world of
Usenet. Be ready for anything and remain thick-skinned. :-)

While perhaps there is no official reference in the AIM, I consider the
"unofficial" extrapolation of airspace down to airports a quick way for me
and my pilot acquaintances to envision the physical size of the airport,
the communication expectations, the volume of arrival and departure
traffic, and the air traffic procedures both on the ground and in the air.

--
Peter
Old March 15th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
oups.com...
Lets get to the bottom of this.
I constantly hear people refer to Airports as being class B,C or D
Airports. Any of you who have thorough knowledge and understanding of
Airports will know that there are only two kinds of Airports in all of
our National Airspace System (NAS). There is Towered and Non-Towered
Airports. We have Class A,B,C,D,E and G Airspace. The Airspace overlays
the Airports. Now show me where in the Aeronautical Information Manual
(AIM) or an FAA Approved government publication that mentions a class
B,C,D Airport. You will not find it...

Take the time and choose your words carefully.

Cjamairway

One word..... TROLL!

Old March 15th 06, 08:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
oups.com...
Take the time and choose your words carefully.

Get a grip.

Aviation is filled with examples of language that doesn't strictly match the
regulations, but which is perfectly understandable by the people who talk of
such matters.

If you want to go stand in line with the people splitting hairs over
"biannual" versus "biennial", or "ICC" versus "IPC", or even "license"
versus "certificate", be my guest. But it's a waste of time, and frankly it
makes you look even more anal retentive than the usual
computer-geek-on-Usenet.

Me? I'd much rather say "Class C airport" than "towered airport around
which Class C airspace is centered". I've yet to run into anyone who would
get confused by the former.

Pete

Old March 15th 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Casey Wilson N2310D @gmail.com wrote:

One word..... TROLL!

Not at all. I can vouch for Chad. He is a new, young, and talented CFI at
the flight school where I once trained and is very passionate about
aviation.

He is also new to newsgroups so give him a chance to become acclimated to
this medium.

--
Peter
Old March 15th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

Now show me where in the Aeronautical Information Manual
(AIM) or an FAA Approved government publication that mentions a class
B,C,D Airport. You will not find it...

You can find a few at
http://tinyurl.com/n5vuv

You are correct that "Towered airport with Class B Airspace designated for
it" is technically more correct than "Class B Airport", but this is a nit.
When you say, "Class B Airport", everybody knows what you're talking about,
and that's all that really matters.

And, anyway, everybody knows that:

Any of you who have thorough knowledge and understanding of
Airports will know that there are only two kinds of Airports in all of
our National Airspace System (NAS). There is Towered and Non-Towered
Airports.

Is incorrect. The two types of airports are those where you can get a good
burger and a coke for under $10, and those where you can't.
Old March 15th 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2006-03-15, wrote:
Lets get to the bottom of this.
I constantly hear people refer to Airports as being class B,C or D
Airports. Any of you who have thorough knowledge and understanding of
Airports will know that there are only two kinds of Airports in all of
our National Airspace System (NAS). There is Towered and Non-Towered
Airports. We have Class A,B,C,D,E and G Airspace.

snip

But in casual talk, that's not useful. When talking to your DE, or
having an in-depth discussion with the FAA, the distinction MAY be
useful - but for every day piloting, calling it a 'class D field' tells
the listener in a very concise way that the field has a control tower
with class D airspace. The listener will understand exactly what you
mean and the consequences without having to say 'a towered field with
class D airspace' which takes longer to say.

There is no mention of a 'stop and go' in the regs either, but if an FAA
inspector sees '3 stop and goes' in your log book by the entry for a
Cessna 140, and it was less than 90 days ago, he knows you are current
in tailwheel aircraft. '3 landings to a full stop' takes up much more
space in that tiny area you get to make remarks in your log book.

On the other hand, if you keep up with this pedantry, you and Stephen
McNicholl will be a force to be reckoned with :-)

--
Dylan Smith, Port St Mary, Isle of Man
Flying:
Old March 15th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Fine, just don't teach them to land on "zero eight" or tell them that
the departure (straight out from the runway) is "upwind". Also, "cross
controlled" stalls aren't the bad ones, it's stalls in a skid that flip
you over on your back. Might teach them something about the importance
of leaning and how and when to do it. And on most engines there is
nothing wrong with "oversquare".

As for Class B airport, you are technically correct, although Ketchikan
is neither (I guess the exception prooves the rule). But it's a LOT
easier to say "Las Vegas is a Class B airport" than to say "Las Vegas
is a towered airport (duh?), with overlying Class B airspace".
Somethings get said and people know what you mean. I don't see the
harm.

Old March 15th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Roy Smith wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I heard there are two types of people: those that divide things in two
and those who don't.