need for dial altimeter?

Old September 25th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default need for dial altimeter?

I am in the process of designing the instrument panel/layout for my
HP-24. Still a ways to go before I will need it, but it is raining out
and my CAD program is running and so is my
imagination..........so.............I was reading about the new Tasman
Data Module on Paul R's website and see that it provides pressure
altitude.

I will be using a GPS to run my PDA, that gives GPS altitude, if I use
the Tasman vario and data-module package, would I really need a dial
altimeter?

Thanks,
Brad
Old September 25th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Brad,

I believe you will still need a certified altimeter in your glider.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Old September 25th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Logajan

"Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi Brad,

I believe you will still need a certified altimeter in your glider.

If it is being built in the U.S. under FAA amateur built regulations, then
I believe none of the instruments need to be certified.

Old September 26th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

yes, this will be an Experimental/Amateur built CofA.

I think I remember Danny Howell saying that the instrumentation in the
Lighthawk was going to be just a Flytec hang gliding MFD.

It would be nice not to use up panel space for a dial altimeter, but
on the other hand, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be either,
and the 3.125" altimeter is very easy to read.

ahhhh................descisions!

Brad

"Brad" wrote in message
I am in the process of designing the instrument panel/layout for my
HP-24. Still a ways to go before I will need it, but it is raining out
and my CAD program is running and so is my
imagination..........so.............I was reading about the new Tasman
Data Module on Paul R's website and see that it provides pressure
altitude.

I will be using a GPS to run my PDA, that gives GPS altitude, if I use
the Tasman vario and data-module package, would I really need a dial
altimeter?

Thanks,
Brad- Hide quoted text -

Old September 26th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

If you are redesigning the panel on a the HP-24 that is already certificated
you "may need to" look at the original certification papers and see what is
required or stated for certification. You will need to meet the original
certification requirements.

If the Tasman data module reports pressure altitude and can be adjusted
based on local altimeter settings like a standard altimeter.. a dial
altimeter may not be required. But.. will it still work if you loose
electrical power? Best to put in a small diameter mechanical altimeter as a
back up. You'll have a mechanical vario as a back up in case of electrical
problems won't you? Why not an altimeter.

BT

Old September 26th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TXBill

"Brad" wrote

yes, this will be an Experimental/Amateur built CofA.

I think I remember Danny Howell saying that the instrumentation in the
Lighthawk was going to be just a Flytec hang gliding MFD.

It would be nice not to use up panel space for a dial altimeter, but
on the other hand, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be either,
and the 3.125" altimeter is very easy to read.

ahhhh................descisions!

Brad

Wouldn't a glass-cockpit soaring instrument, say something like the new
ClearNav from NK, provide even better situational awareness if it had an
airspeed strip down the right edge and an altitude strip down the left edge?
How about adding "altitude required for next waypoint" and "speed to fly"
indicators to those strips?

I'd sure like to have them....but, then, I'd like to have a horizon, too.
And a G-meter strip next to the airspeed strip. Oh, and how about a vario
strip next to the altitude strip? With real-time and average indicators?
Maybe a voltmeter? A compass? Synthetic 3D terrain view? Thermal markers?
What else do y'all think might be useful?

Sounds like a whole new class of instrument, an "ESIS" or "Electronic
Soaring Information System". Put all that on a 12inch-diagonal daylight
visible screen and the only "steam guages" I'd have in the cockpit would be
a compass and 57mm airspeed indicator. Just in case.

Hmm, sounds like an idea for a future "Soaring Tech" article.....

See you on the porch,

- Bill

Old September 26th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn

All kinds of good ideas. You may want to consider installing an EFIS.
The Dynon D10A fits in an 80mm hole. You get the full six pack plus!
It has an altimeter, airspeed, vertical speed, DG, T&B, attitude, OAT,
true airspeed, compass, HSI, and angle of attack. If you have a little
more panel room, you could consider an MGL Engima EFIS. It has a
larger screen and all of the above plus GPS and a moving map display.
The nice thing about the MGL is that it can display 9 different
screens - that you can create and edit yourself. Now you can create
the moving map display with airspeed and angle of attack on the left,
altimeter and vertical speed on the right, and compass at the bottom.
If you're doing a wave flight and get caught in clouds or want to file
IFR, select another screen that has the six pack in the upper left, an
HSI in the upper right, and a moving map display on the lower half.

Both units supply altitude encoding for a transponder. Also they
weight less than the instruments they replace. The Dynon has the
option of installing an internal backup battery that will run the
system for two hours. The MGL supports an external backup battery. A
small 2AH battery would run it for two hours.

If you want to take a look, the link to Dynon is
http://dynonavionics.com/docs/D10A_intro.html. The link to MGL is
http://www.mglavionics.com/html/enigma.html.

Charlie
Old September 26th 08, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Sep 25, 6:07*pm, "BT" wrote:

If you are redesigning the panel on a the HP-24
that is already certificated... You will need to meet
the original certification requirements...

Badgers? We don't got to show you no stinking badgers.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old September 26th 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

On the last home-built I regestered, the federallies required a
mechanical airspeed, altimeter and compass........nothing else. But I
have observed that the panel I am now flying has altitude displayed
all over the place, in two GPS's, in the SN-10 and in the transponder.
The large altimeter takes up a lot of space and provides the least
important info..........................we can all estimate our
altitude for landing, can't we? The rest of the time its just nice to
know info.
JJ

Old September 26th 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

JJ Sinclair wrote:

On the last home-built I regestered, the federallies required a
mechanical airspeed, altimeter and compass........nothing else. But I
have observed that the panel I am now flying has altitude displayed
all over the place, in two GPS's, in the SN-10 and in the transponder.
The large altimeter takes up a lot of space and provides the least
important info..........................we can all estimate our
altitude for landing, can't we? The rest of the time its just nice to
know info.

Except when you're flying in the among controlled airspace, where
neither GPS altitude (geometric) nor transponder altitude (QNE) do you
any good. Loggers usually can give you QNH altitude, provided you set
them correctly and your battery isn't flat.