Any fliers?

Old May 21st 04, 12:35 AM
Mike Marron

(B2431) wrote:
BUFDRVR wrote:
Mike Marron wrote:

Both the doggy ol' '56 Cessna spamcan and the BUFF would
bore me to tears

I'll take you on night/NVG TA sortie through the foothills of the
Sierra-Nevadas, if you're bored, you haven't got a pulse

Point well taken.

I don't think so, he just isn't impressed with military aircraft under any
circumstances.

Give him an F-15 and he'd complain about that.

Oh give me a break sarge. You're either trolling (again) or you're
more full of **** than the porta potties on the last day of Oshkosh.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old May 21st 04, 03:39 AM
vincent p. norris

Sorry, not pulling your leg.

I washed planes for gratis instruction at Roosevelt Field, NY. TM Scout
belonged to John Hay Whitney.
1st Solo was in Aeronca, 1940.

The only TM Scout I know of was a single seater (like the P-40).

A P-40 pilot once returned to the Z.I. could easily be checked out in a T-6
for Flying pay profiency, happened all the time.

But you listed the Scout first, as though it was the first airplane
you ever flew. Was there a two-seater Scout? It wouldn't have been
called a "Scout," would it, as the term was used during WW I, if it
had two seats.

Enlighten me.

vince norris

Old May 21st 04, 03:56 AM
vincent p. norris

Let's overlook the last (unmentioned) criterion.

You wouldn't be referring to, uh, er, _____, would you?

vince norris

Well, since no one else would identify "the last (unmentioned)
criterion" (of the fighter pilot), let me suggest: hemorrhoids.

vince norris
Old May 21st 04, 10:25 AM
Cub Driver

On Thu, 20 May 2004 11:50:01 GMT, "Tom Swift"
wrote:

TM Scout
belonged to John Hay Whitney.

That's mighty impressive, too.

For the young sprats, "Jock" Whitney was later ambassador to Britain
and publisher of the New York Herald-Tribune and of course my favorite
newspaper, the NY Herald-Trib in Paris.

(Now I realize that the sprats never heard of the Herald-Trib, either.
Okay, the Paris newspaper was where Art Buchwald got his start.)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! blog www.vivabush.org
Old May 21st 04, 09:49 PM
Steve

On Wed, 19 May 2004 22:36:25 GMT, Mike Marron wrote:

Be grateful you still have hair.

Ahhh, the joys of being 30. Sorry to rub it in. :-)

As the old adage goes...if it flies,
floats, or ****s it's cheaper to rent!

Well, I can't vouch for the boats...

True, true, but I know what I'd rather be strapped into. :-)

Same here. Both the doggy ol' '56 Cessna spamcan and the BUFF would
bore me to tears therefore the Thunderchief wins hands down.

Mmm, agreed. Can't imagine who would want to fly a BUFF. ;-) I'd have been
no good in a 105...I look stupid with a mustache!

--
Steve.
Old May 21st 04, 11:35 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Fri, 21 May 2004 21:49:36 +0100, Steve
wrote:

On Wed, 19 May 2004 22:36:25 GMT, Mike Marron wrote:

Same here. Both the doggy ol' '56 Cessna spamcan and the BUFF would
bore me to tears therefore the Thunderchief wins hands down.

Mmm, agreed. Can't imagine who would want to fly a BUFF. ;-) I'd have been
no good in a 105...I look stupid with a mustache!

That didn't stop most of us.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old May 22nd 04, 12:24 AM
Krztalizer

Mmm, agreed. Can't imagine who would want to fly a BUFF. ;-)

Probably would still be fun, except having to handle a committee of throttles
all the dang time!

I'd have been
no good in a 105...I look stupid with a mustache!

That didn't stop most of us.

LOL

Ed, still got your rolled brim Rat hat? We have a great display from one of
your mates at our local museum - Under our raised-platform, bombed up Scooter,
we have a set of display cases built into the platform, each filled with WWVN
air memorabilia. There is a gunner case, then right beside it, a Thud driver
case. You'd love it.

dammit... someday, this "thar I wuz" mustache has got to go - but my daughter
loves it for now.

v/r
Gordon
Old May 22nd 04, 04:07 AM
vincent p. norris

(Now I realize that the sprats never heard of the Herald-Trib, either.
Okay, the Paris newspaper was where Art Buchwald got his start.)

Dan, why do you think they ever heard of Art Buchwald ?

vince norris
Old May 22nd 04, 09:54 AM
Cub Driver

On Fri, 21 May 2004 23:07:26 -0400, vincent p. norris
wrote:

(Now I realize that the sprats never heard of the Herald-Trib, either.
Okay, the Paris newspaper was where Art Buchwald got his start.)

Dan, why do you think they ever heard of Art Buchwald ?

Okay, Art Buchwald was the world's funniest writer until Dave Barry
grew up.

Old May 22nd 04, 04:58 PM
Ed Rasimus

On 21 May 2004 23:24:28 GMT, nt (Krztalizer) wrote:

Ed, still got your rolled brim Rat hat? We have a great display from one of
your mates at our local museum - Under our raised-platform, bombed up Scooter,
we have a set of display cases built into the platform, each filled with WWVN
air memorabilia. There is a gunner case, then right beside it, a Thud driver
case. You'd love it.

It's a "****-hot hat", not a Rat hat--there were Rats at a lot of
places, both AF and Navy, that didn't were the SH hat. Mostly it was a
thing of F-105 drivers at Korat and Takhli.

It lived in a box in the basement for a lot of years. I pulled it out
and straightened out all the smooshed parts to regain a semblance of
its original shape during the publication cycle of When Thunder
Rolled. It has resided atop my desk lamp for nearly two years now. It
provides a perverse sort of motivational factor when writing stalls as
it occasionally does.

Speaking of memorabilia displays, I was in San Antonio three years ago
for a Rat reunion. I had the opportunity to run out to Randolph AFB
(where I had been stationed in '70-'71) and visited the Augur Inn in
the O'Club where they have a lot of neat stuff and then went to the
435th TFTS squadron operations building. I had been in the 435th at
Holloman doing Fighter Lead-In Training from '81-'85. I was with Steve
Miller who had been doing that job at the same time and then four
years later returned to be squadron commander of the 435th. They are
now doing fighter lead-in as part of SUPT at Randolph.

There in the entrance was a glass display case of squadron memorabilia
including a huge wooden covered photo album and more interestingly,
the squadron Doofer Book from '83-'84.

The Doofer Book was a green ledger book that sat on the ops counter
and was used as a sort of communal diary. Squadron guys could write
anything they wanted in the Doofer Book. Stories, anecdotes, humorous
events, embarrassments, criticism, commentary, etc were all fair game.

We spent about an hour paging through the book and rereading the
events of those thrilling days of yesteryear. Lots of laughs.

Sure would be fun to see what in that F-105 case in your local museum.
Got a short menu?

dammit... someday, this "thar I wuz" mustache has got to go - but my daughter
loves it for now.

Moustaches are forever.