1 Fatal ...r.a.h or r.a.p?

Old February 3rd 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default 1 Fatal ...r.a.h or r.a.p?

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
. ..

"Morgans" wrote in message
"Peter Freeman" wrote in message
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/...WS01/602010321

If I read that right, it said he crashed moments after he took off, and
he realized he was low on fuel. Is that what happened, or did the news
mess it up? Did he really take off without checking the fuel levels?

No, the article says he landed in a field because he was low on fuel. He
subsequently refueled and tried to take off, but hit obstacles and
crashed.

Boy, did I misread that!
--
Jim in NC

Old February 3rd 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I spoke with an FAA investigator regarding a potential incident a few years
ago. He told me he'd lost his enthusiasm for general aviation after
investigating too many fatal incidents. I can understand his sentiment.

On the other hand, I don't fear death. Death will come to us all. The only
thing I fear is doing something stupid that deprives my children of my
income potential. Kevin Dunlevy

"Montblack" wrote in message
I sometimes cut-n-paste crash victim's names into

Google.groups.rec.aviation
to see if that person has ever posted here. Too ghoulish?

One person's name, about 6 years ago, came up. IIRC, his family was in the
plane.

With the spate of recent crashes it got me wondering, again: People here

at
rec.aviation know some of these victims - but have WE lost any of our

(r.a.h
& r.a.p) posters in crashes, in the last 8-10 years?

Montblack
I've been around since 1998 - starting in r.a.s.

Old February 3rd 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article .com,
"Peter Freeman" wrote:

Just yesterday a guy I know crashed his plane and died. I didn't know
him REAL well but it was either him, or his twin brother who did a
lesson with me a few months ago. That makes 3 people I've known in the
aviation world who have died in some aviation accident. It really
drives the point hom that what we do is extremely dangerous. The risk
is nothing to take lightly.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/...01/NEWS01/6020
10321

i just got the bad news phone call tonight. great guy (and so is his
brother). that makes three for me too, and it's very possible that it's
the same three that you knew (all three in the past nine months, and
i've only been flying for less than two years).
Old February 3rd 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I must be kinda stand-offish. 38 years now since I got my llicense. .
.. and:

1. Before I started flying, the FBO's partner and his family were
killed. Rough engine at night, passed up numerous airports, totally
lost power on long final to home airport. Set her down in a "black
area," which was a cut for power pylons. Hung upside down from a power
line until everybody burned to death.

2. 30+ years ago: Didn't now him. Friend of another pilot who flew
out of the same FBO, stalled/spun a Luscombe 8A on take-off. The 8A's
the one where you can't pitch the nose too high on takeoff or you'll
uncover the fuel intake in the tank, which is behind the pilot's head.

Those are the only fatals, and I didn't directly know the people.
Recently, I heard of three gear-ups by the same guy -- one on the
first flght after the rebuilt after anothe gear-up. I also heard of a
guy at our airport rolling up a shiny restored Waco UPF 7 in a botched
X-wind landing. None of those incidents involved more than
superficial injuries.

I don't personally know any dead former motorcyclists, either. I
know, second-hand, some dead blue-water sailors, though.

I may be the opposite of Gig-whatzis, the guy you don't want to have
been in the same graduating class with.

Don
Old February 3rd 06, 06:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Interesting-

I have been flying since 1998 and I do not know anyone who died in plane
crash. However, I knew three pilots who survived in plane crash.

One of them is my former flight instructor. She was in a plane crash with
one of her student. The flight school did pretty good job keep it secret,
but I later learned that the engine seized and the instructor couldn't
restart the engine. In my opinion, she made a mistake by allowing her
student to make a landing attempt on the farm field. The student got frozen
on short final and rest is history. Good thing, they both walked away
without any injuries. That instructor flew with me on a lesson flight two
days later. Tough lady!

Other two pilots, that I knew, crashed together. They got cut off on short
final when a plane on the ground taxied into active runway. The plane
stalled when one of the pilots attempted to go around and could not recover
in time. They both received serious injuries. I saw one of them at a local
event two months later and the injures looked pretty bad. The only thing he
talked about that night is getting back into the air as soon as doctor
clears him.

Toks Desalu

Two Other

Old February 3rd 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Wow! I have been flying for 25 years. I lose 1-2 on average each year.
Four was the most one year.

Wow, I've only been flying for five years, but I don't know anyone
personally who has died, and only one plane I've flown has been involved
in a fatal crash.

I've been flying for 11 years, and I don't know anyone personally who has
died, either.

An old clapped out Cherokee 140 we used to rent was demolished by a student
pilot in a fatal crash, but that's the only accident of any consequence that
I can claim a "connection" to -- and that's a pretty distant connection.

If I had lost 22 friends to accidents in those 11 years, I would not be
flying.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 3rd 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
If I had lost 22 friends to accidents in those 11 years, I would not be
flying.

If I had lost 22 friends to accidents, I wouldn't leave the house. Hell, I
count myself lucky to have two friends that aren't nurses. The friends I have
at work are subject to employment... ie, if they leave our current place of
work, we will lose track of one another.

As for flying, I personally knew three people who've died in airplanes... two of
them died in the same accident. None of them were friends but I was friendly
with all of them and vice versa.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old February 3rd 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
Jay Honeck wrote:
If I had lost 22 friends to accidents in those 11 years, I would not be
flying.

If I had lost 22 friends to accidents, I wouldn't leave the house. Hell,
I count myself lucky to have two friends that aren't nurses. The friends
I have at work are subject to employment... ie, if they leave our current
place of work, we will lose track of one another.

As for flying, I personally knew three people who've died in airplanes...
two of them died in the same accident. None of them were friends but I
was friendly with all of them and vice versa.

I've known one person killed in an airplane and that was our family doctor
(and his son) who disappeared in his Bonanza over Lake Michigan when I was
12 (1967).

I knew three people killed in car accidents (my sisters MOH at her wedding),
and two relatives, both from severe DUI.

OTOH, my daughters high school class lost three kids in three TA's over the
last two years before she graduated (both my sons classes escaped
unscathed).

Matt Barrow

Old February 3rd 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I'm honestly not trying to make light of the fact that the guy
died...BUT....out of a field, after running out of gas...hit a pole....

a SAFE aviator would not have had the fuel issue to begin with, and if
a SAFE aviator had a fuel issue and landed in the field, he damn sure
would have cleared the take off path well before taking off. I feel
sorry for the guy and all, but wow, seems all together too
preventable...