1 Fatal ...r.a.h or r.a.p?

Old February 3rd 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default 1 Fatal ...r.a.h or r.a.p?

On 2 Feb 2006 13:27:15 -0800, "three-eight-hotel"
wrote:

Considering the number of pilots I know I'd say it is more dangerous to have
graduated with me than it is being a pilot.

That is funny! I hope I didn't go to school with you!

Todd

Yes really funny. Three of my classmates committed suicide.

Mike Weller

Old February 3rd 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Mike Weller" wrote)
Yes really funny. Three of my classmates committed suicide.

Airplane (1980)

Montblack
Old February 4th 06, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

My instructor was killed in a midair on the NEXT FLIGHT after I soloed. It
shook me up real bad.

I spent a few weeks researching the statistics and concluded that GA flying
was about 10x more dangerous (for fatalities) on a per-mile basis than
driving.

Yet I still decided to continue my flying. That was 18 years ago.

I do actually fly less because I don't want to have too high an exposure to
the risks. I fly when I want to but I don't push it.

I've also known one automobile fatality personally in my lifetime.
Old February 6th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2006-02-02, Rachel wrote:
Wow, I've only been flying for five years, but I don't know anyone
personally who has died, and only one plane I've flown has been involved
in a fatal crash.

I've been flying since 1997 and have over 1000 hours, but I don't know
anyone who's died in a plane crash, nor (to my knowledge) have any of
the planes I've flown been crashed badly enough to be totaled (and
before you ask, the ones that have been bent weren't bent by me!)

--
Dylan Smith, Port St Mary, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old February 6th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2006-02-04, Prime wrote:
I do actually fly less because I don't want to have too high an exposure to
the risks. I fly when I want to but I don't push it.

You are probably inadvertently *increasing* your risk by doing that.
With driving, risk generally goes up with exposure. With flying, risk
generally goes down with exposure (greater recency of experience). Most
aircraft accidents are not caused by '**** happens', but by pilot
error/misjudgement. The less recency of experience (particularly with
IFR and night flying) you have, the greater your risk is.

Old February 7th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dylan Smith posted the exciting message
:

On 2006-02-04, Prime wrote:
I do actually fly less because I don't want to have too high an
exposure to the risks. I fly when I want to but I don't push it.

You are probably inadvertently *increasing* your risk by doing that.
With driving, risk generally goes up with exposure. With flying, risk
generally goes down with exposure (greater recency of experience).
Most aircraft accidents are not caused by '**** happens', but by pilot
error/misjudgement. The less recency of experience (particularly with
IFR and night flying) you have, the greater your risk is.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't buy that it's that simple. If
I fly rarely, then I am less proficient and probably more dangerous. If I
fly at some reasonable level then I have a certain decent level of
proficiency. If I fly 10x more than that my proficiency gets a bit better,
but my exposure goes up by a factor of 10.

Using your reasoning, I should fly as much as I can and all those hours
will lower my risk.
Old February 7th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Prime

When I was active in Fighters in the USAF I ran a study to justify the
dollars to be budgeted for flying hours for Fighter pilots in a year.

I found that 18 hours a month was the sweat spot. Less than that the
accidents were higher due to lack of proficiency. More than the 18
hours the rate went up due to the additional exposure.

I'm sure someone could run a similar analysis for the different GA
type of aircraft to give the sweet spot for them.

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````````````````

Old February 7th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

When I was active in Fighters in the USAF I ran a study to justify the
dollars to be budgeted for flying hours for Fighter pilots in a year.

I found that 18 hours a month was the sweat spot. Less than that the
accidents were higher due to lack of proficiency. More than the 18
hours the rate went up due to the additional exposure.

Wow. When you think of how few hours most GA pilots actually fly, it's
amazing that the accident rate isn't higher than it is...

Of course, GA flying isn't military flying, but still...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 9th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2006-02-07, Prime wrote:
Using your reasoning, I should fly as much as I can and all those hours
will lower my risk.

You've got it exactly. Fly as often and as much as you possibly can :-)