Why so many abbreviations in NOTAMs, etc.?

Old April 19th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Why so many abbreviations in NOTAMs, etc.?

In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:
Jon writes:

Changes to operational systems are co-ordinated very carefully as
there's much more at stake than just a software/hardware upgrade.
Requirements trace well beyond the nearest neighbor sometimes you
don't just do it because you can or it because it's cheap or because
it's cool or because someone proved it could work in a simulated
environment.

Then why do people buy G1000s?

Hint:

"operational systems" = ATC and all associated facilities and activities
such as FSS, NOTAM, METAR, TAF, etc.

G1000 = what some guy puts in his airplane.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 20th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jon

Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

Hint:

"operational systems" = ATC and all associated facilities and activities
such as FSS, NOTAM, METAR, TAF, etc.

G1000 = what some guy puts in his airplane.

Oh. I thought "operational system" meant "a system that operates."

Stop.

Old April 20th 07, 05:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Jon writes:

Does a G1000 deal with processing NOTAMs or NOTAM contractions?

A G1000 is an operational system, one that doesn't seem to have been as
rigorously tested as other operational systems (such as some ATC systems). I
was asking why the standards seem to vary. Perhaps the G1000 is sexy and
changes to NOTAM wording are not.

Old April 20th 07, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jon

Jon writes:

Does a G1000 deal with processing NOTAMs or NOTAM contractions?

A G1000 is an operational system,

Failure to answer question. Please wait while the treehouse club
committee you seem to think inhabits the space, considers whether to
allow another opportunity to answer the question.

one that

One that doesn't have anything to do with the thread.

doesn't seem to have been as rigorously tested

No one cares here in this thread, on this topic, about which it has no
context. Put another way: it's has no place in this thread.

as other operational systems (such as some ATC systems).

I was asking why the standards seem to vary.

Here's what you asked, in case you're having trouble following, what
with all the other NlogN^Infinite_Power number of threads you're
injecting yourself into (violating the 'we were given two ears and one
mouth and they should be used in those proportions' rule you were
commanded to obey):

"Why are so many things abbreviated in NOTAMs and other similar
documents?
Even words that aren't very long to begin with are often abbreviated,
saving
only a letter or two. I can't think of any situation today in which
bandwidth
would be so severely limited that saving a letter or two would make a
difference, so I assume there is some historical reason for the
abbreviations.
Were such messages transmitted by Morse code or something in the past,
or is
someone still transmitting them that way (or over some other extremely
slow
channel) today? "

You initially were asking about NOTAM Contractions, which, from
everything I've been able to ascertain, has approximately somewhere
between 0% and 0% do with the G1000....

Why the G1000 was brought into the discussion, lies somewhere on the
spectrum between 'not interesting' and 'mostly uninteresting.'

Some would call it an attempt at Thread Drift, others would call it an
inability to remain focused on the subject matter at hand,

Perhaps the G1000 is sexy and changes to NOTAM wording are not.

Perhaps the G1000 has to do with NOTAMs, the original point of the
thread.

Yet you continue talking about it, attempting to keep the non-sequitir
alive.

Hey, I got an idea. Start a thread on the G1000 and let's talk about
NOTAMs in there, for no apparent reason.

It'd be kinda sexy, wouldn't it, sexy?

GPS unreliable NOTAMs Mxsmanic Piloting 2 April 12th 07 01:20 AM
Airline Abbreviations jfp Piloting 5 December 31st 05 08:59 AM
GPS Notams of outages Robert Scott Instrument Flight Rules 9 May 23rd 05 06:08 AM
Finnish Aeronautical Engineering Abbreviations Ron Wanttaja Home Built 10 April 1st 04 07:14 AM
NOTAMs for non-US space launches? Allen Thomson Military Aviation 0 September 25th 03 04:01 PM