Garmin GNC 250XL

Old November 10th 04, 05:49 PM
Hankal

he panel mount Garmin's display and functionality is so vastly inferior to
the AvMap, that I would certainly look at *it* as the back-up unit -- not the
other way around.

Yes I love the ease of read with the Avmap
However it would not be legal to fly approaches with it.
I do not have DME and a lot of approaches
require DME or GPS. I thought about installing the Garmin 430, but the 480 is
only 2K more.
To upgrade the 430 for Vertical and horizontal capability will be 1500, if and
when it becomes available.
Hank

Old November 10th 04, 06:08 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Michael 182 wrote:

: "Jay Honeck" wrote in message
: news:stqkd.321972$wV.301196@attbi_s54...
: I'd like to yank both those units, save about ten pounds, sell them on
: Ebay, and replace them with a new Garmin GPS/Com combo. I think that
: would be a great upgrade -- but I'd like to hear from folks who have one
: before making the leap!

: I used to have one in a previous plane. Worked great. In addition, it can be
: IFR certified, in case you decide to go that way. Can't remember the
: subscription price, which in any case, has probably gone down since you can
: probably renew through the Internet rather then sending data cards bck and
: forth. In fact, I don't even remember if it used data cards, although I
: assume it did...

The subscription is about $360/year for internet based updates. That gets
you an update every 28 days (13 a year). You may be able to get a
subscription for a smaller geographic area for less $$$ (I can't with my GPS).

The 250XL is not IFR upgradeable. The 300 XL is IFR upgradeable with
apropriate additional equipment: CDI and annunciator/switch. The 300 XL can
be installed as a VFR only unit. Why the 300Xl is cheaper than the 250XL is
anyones guess, but I'd get the 300Xl over the 250Xl were it my choice.
--
Aaron Coolidge

Old November 10th 04, 07:38 PM
C Kingsbury

My guess is that people make a list of units in their head that they are
going to look for, and they a priori exclude IFR units thinking they will be
much more expensive. Therefore, the demand for the 250 is greater, and
drives the prices higher.

As for a VFR-only install, you could install a ham sandwich and call it a
VFR GPS, for all the FAA cares.

-cwk.

"Brian Sponcil" wrote in message
It may have something to do with the installation costs. If you're going

install the 300XL as an IFR unit you'll need a CDI and an annunciator -

not
cheap. I *THINK* that you can probably install it as a VFR only unit

which
would seemingly make it a better deal than the 250XL.

Just my $.02

Old November 10th 04, 08:29 PM
Nathan Young

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:29:28 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

You are not about to ditch your AvMap?

Ditch the Avmap? Heck, no!

The panel mount Garmin's display and functionality is so vastly inferior to
the AvMap, that I would certainly look at *it* as the back-up unit -- not
the other way around.

However, I've got an old Narco 120 Com that works fine but is getting pretty
"long-in-the-tooth". I've also got an old Narco DME that works perfectly,
but is utterly useless to me.

I'd like to yank both those units, save about ten pounds, sell them on Ebay,
and replace them with a new Garmin GPS/Com combo. I think that would be a
great upgrade -- but I'd like to hear from folks who have one before making
the leap!

Jay, as a reference -

I very much enjoy having DME in the plane in addition to my yoke-mount
Garmin 295. It is helpful for identifying intersections during IFR
enroute, and is a nice to have (if not a requirement) for many
approaches.

What am I getting at? Even though an IFR GPS can substitute for DME,
I am not sure that I would remove the DME, and I certainly would keep
it if I installed a panel-mount VFR GPS.

-Nathan
Old November 10th 04, 08:33 PM
Nathan Young

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:50:11 -0700, "Louis L. Perley III"
wrote:

I do believe if you wanted to use the GPS as a DME, you'll need to have the
300XL installed IFR (which would mean you'd need to replace/add a CDI, etc.
as well as the requisite paperwork). I've thought about replacing one of my
old RT-385 Nav/Coms in the C152 for the same reasons you state in your
original post, but the cost of doing the IFR install have held me off from
doing it so far. I figure if I'm going to install a 300XL I should probably
go for the IFR cert, otherwise it's just better to go get a Garmin 296 and
buy one of those MX slide in replacement comms and still have three grand in
my pocket. I was told between the radio and install I was looking at $6,000
or so. At that point I figured why not go for the extra and get a 430, etc.
Just like anything else in aviation, there is always something better for
just a little bit more. I have been told that if you install a Garmin 430,
it is legal to install without the CDI because of the way it was approved
(at least you don't need the CDI for GPS use). I've never seen one that way,
they all have the CDI, but I think that's if you want to use the NAV
abilities for VORs, ILSes, etc. I might be able to get away with the 430
since I have ILS on my primary navcomm.

I think the GNS430 will still require a CDI for an IFR-install.
However, the 430 will not require the external swtiching/annunciator
panel that the 300XL will, so the install of a 430 is a bit cheaper
than a 300XL.

Also, if you are only looking for a GPS install, you should look at
GNS400 (basically a 430 with GPS only), or the GNC420 (GPS/COM).
Old November 10th 04, 08:34 PM
Jay Masino

Brian Sponcil wrote:
It may have something to do with the installation costs. If you're going to
install the 300XL as an IFR unit you'll need a CDI and an annunciator - not
cheap. I *THINK* that you can probably install it as a VFR only unit which
would seemingly make it a better deal than the 250XL.

For an IFR install, you also need a means to interface it to your altitude
encoder. This often means purchasing a serializer to convert from grey
code (I think) to RS-232c. I know that on my GX-60, you can go into
system setup mode and tell it to behave like a VFR-only GPS.

If you're seriously thinking about these two units, I definitely think you
should go with the 300XL, just in case you want to get it IFR certified at
a later date. A used UPSAT GX-60 is probably a good buy, too.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old November 10th 04, 08:46 PM
Jack Allison

Not sure if it's the exact same unit but one of the rental birds I used
to fly had something that looked (it's been a while) like this. Very
nice unit, easy to use. Color and larger screen would be better (having
used both) but if this was all one could afford, IMHO, it's a nice unit

Jay Honeck wrote:

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL, plan-to-be-IA-Student, flying club member/co-owner wanna-be

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old November 11th 04, 01:12 AM
Carl Orton

Jay:

I have a 250 in my 172 (came with it). Very easy to use, and intuitive. The
rental 172's I flew for a few years had the Bendix KLN-94 color, which gave
much more information.

As an example, the 250/300 do not include any geographic or road features.
Just dots on the map for the airports or radio aids (different dots,
though).

I've found the 250 easier to use menu/option wise compared to the Bendix.
More intuitive. As another user mentioned, when the sun is hitting the
screen dead-on, I sometimes have to shade the screen with my hand in order
to see what I'm looking for.

My neighbor has the Jepp Sky-? that let's you reprogram your own cards at a
slight discount from the card exchange that Jepp provides. If you don't get
a subscription, it's around $60 for the US, one-shot.

Given all that, I've really enjoyed it. I've considered getting a 300 to use
in addition to my 250, as the 250 is my only comm/navigation unit. Odd in
that my plane already has the CDI and switch connected to the 250, so I
guess I'm set up for IFR if I get the 300.

Carl

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Anyone got one of these units?

http://www.garmin.com/products/gnc250xl/

It seems to combine two very useful things (a VFR moving map GPS and a Com
radio) into one compact unit.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 11th 04, 03:50 AM
Aaron Coolidge

Nathan Young wrote:
: Jay, as a reference -

: I very much enjoy having DME in the plane in addition to my yoke-mount
: Garmin 295. It is helpful for identifying intersections during IFR
: enroute, and is a nice to have (if not a requirement) for many
: approaches.

Seconded. I like having my DME, my IFR GPS, and my 295. The DME is very
easy to interpret (OK, I'm 12.6 from PVD, so I'm well clear of their 'C').
The 'B' airspace around me is derived off the BOS vortac, so it's helpful
there as well. I usually use the IFR GPS for point-to-point navigation while
keeping the DME tuned to navaids off to the side such as the BOS vortac I
mentioned, helps to stay out of their airspace.
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)
Old November 11th 04, 04:35 PM
Jay Honeck

: I very much enjoy having DME in the plane in addition to my yoke-mount
: Garmin 295. It is helpful for identifying intersections during IFR
: enroute, and is a nice to have (if not a requirement) for many
: approaches.

Seconded. I like having my DME, my IFR GPS, and my 295. The DME is very
easy to interpret (OK, I'm 12.6 from PVD, so I'm well clear of their 'C').
The 'B' airspace around me is derived off the BOS vortac, so it's helpful
there as well. I usually use the IFR GPS for point-to-point navigation
while
keeping the DME tuned to navaids off to the side such as the BOS vortac I
mentioned, helps to stay out of their airspace.

I know we all have our preferences, but DME seems to me to have been made
completely outmoded by the advent of moving map GPS.

My AvMap graphically depicts Class B airspace in a way that is so easily
understood, it would be virtually impossible to "bust" it without realizing
what you were doing. The DME would only confirm -- in a far less useful
format -- what the GPS is already telling me.

That, and the fact that I have no intention of getting my IFR ticket in the
near future, makes my Narco DME little more useful than a door stop in
Atlas. I *do* turn it on once in a while, just to see if it still powers
up -- but that's about it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA