Backup AI (using solid state gyro) for portable

Old November 23rd 04, 04:33 PM
Andrew Gideon

Default Backup AI (using solid state gyro) for portable

Can anyone provide a pointer to some hardware/software usable on a portable
computer (Microsoft's CE, or perhaps even XP on a small system) that
provides a backup AI solution using "solid state gyros" (accelerometers?
altitude heading reference system?). I'm looking for something that I can
run on a system also running Airgator's NavAir product.

Bluetooth-speaking would be especially interesting.

Thanks...

Andrew

Old November 23rd 04, 05:19 PM
john smith

There is already a product available, but I do not recall the name.
The "box" sits on the floor under seat (or where ever available) and
feeds a display.

Old November 23rd 04, 06:32 PM
Andrew Gideon

john smith wrote:

There is already a product available, but I do not recall the name.
The "box" sits on the floor under seat (or where ever available) and
feeds a display.

I know that there's something available. I've played with the add-on to The
Cheetah product (Echo Flight?), and I know ControlVision has one. But
those are integrated (more or less {8^) solutions. I'm trying to learn
more about ControlVision's (AnywhereAI), but I'm wondering what else is out
there.

BTW, does anyone happen to know if Cheetah is WxWorx yet?

- Andrew

Old November 24th 04, 03:43 AM
BTIZ

A friend has a Ring Laser Gyro installed in his glider.. provides Attitude
data to a PDA display. I think it was built by Garmin.. I'll check on it.

BT

online.com...

Old November 24th 04, 05:45 AM
jc

Windows ?????????????? for an AI or any critical application

Russian roulette would be much cheaper

--

regards

jc

LEGAL - I don't believe what I wrote and neither should you. Sobriety and/or
sanity of the author is not guaranteed

EMAIL - and are not valid email
addresses. news2x at perentie is valid for a while.
Old November 24th 04, 09:38 AM
MC

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Can anyone provide a pointer to some hardware/software usable on a portable
computer (Microsoft's CE, or perhaps even XP on a small system) that
provides a backup AI solution using "solid state gyros" (accelerometers?
altitude heading reference system?). I'm looking for something that I can
run on a system also running Airgator's NavAir product.

Bluetooth-speaking would be especially interesting.

Your really don't want much ! g

Anyway.., make sure you're siting down and look at ;
http://www.bluemountainavionics.com/
and
http://www.xbow.com/

Actually, I've recently started to make my own pseudo AHI,
(mostly as an microprocessor exercise), but also to provide
a backup to the vacuumn-driven DI and AH.

A couple of dual-axis accelerometers, a GPS feed,
3-axis magnetic sensors, and some maths...
easy! (he says with a big g)
Initially I'll use a laptop and later a PDA.
Old November 24th 04, 04:12 PM
Andrew Gideon

MC wrote:

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Can anyone provide a pointer to some hardware/software usable on a
portable computer (Microsoft's CE, or perhaps even XP on a small system)
that provides a backup AI solution using "solid state gyros"
(accelerometers?
altitude heading reference system?). I'm looking for something that I
can run on a system also running Airgator's NavAir product.

Bluetooth-speaking would be especially interesting.

Your really don't want much ! g

Nope. I'm just that kind of guy.

Anyway.., make sure you're siting down and look at ;
http://www.bluemountainavionics.com/
and
http://www.xbow.com/

Why do I need to be sitting? But unless I'm missing it, the first is about
full EFIS-type solutions. That's not quite what I'm seeking.

My "baseline" is AnywhereAI. I'm looking for something similar that can
work along with AirGator's NavAir (or something similar).

The xbow site is interesting, and I'm going to spend more time on it to
learn more about this product space, but I don't see anything integrated
into the type of backup AI I'm seeking. Again, though, I could easily be
missing something on the site.

Actually, I've recently started to make my own pseudo AHI,
(mostly as an microprocessor exercise), but also to provide
a backup to the vacuumn-driven DI and AH.

A couple of dual-axis accelerometers, a GPS feed,
3-axis magnetic sensors, and some maths...
easy! (he says with a big g)
Initially I'll use a laptop and later a PDA.

Well, I'm hoping to buy this. As wrote, I know about AnywhereAI and I've
seen an AI on Cheetah. I'm just trying to learn what else is out there.

[But your project does sound like fun. How you manage to get time for that
*and* flying, though...laugh]

- Andrew

Old November 24th 04, 11:18 PM
MC

Andrew Gideon wrote:

MC wrote:

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Can anyone provide a pointer to some hardware/software usable on a
portable computer (Microsoft's CE, or perhaps even XP on a small system)
that provides a backup AI solution using "solid state gyros"
(accelerometers?
altitude heading reference system?). I'm looking for something that I
can run on a system also running Airgator's NavAir product.

Bluetooth-speaking would be especially interesting.

Anyway.., make sure you're siting down and look at ;
http://www.bluemountainavionics.com/
and
http://www.xbow.com/

Why do I need to be sitting? But unless I'm missing it, the first is about
full EFIS-type solutions. That's not quite what I'm seeking.

They have (or did have at one time), modules to give heading/attitude/etc
to feed into their EFIS panels.

Honeywell also have modules (HMR3200, HMR3300) which give a
magnetic-heading output, but will also provide some attitude/roll information.

My "baseline" is AnywhereAI. I'm looking for something similar that can
work along with AirGator's NavAir (or something similar).

The xbow site is interesting, and I'm going to spend more time on it to
learn more about this product space, but I don't see anything integrated
into the type of backup AI I'm seeking. Again, though, I could easily be
missing something on the site.

You'd have to write an app. to decode and present the data-stream
from the sensor(s) that you have.
AFAIK there doesn't appear to be much standardisation of the
data-streams across manufacturers/sensors,
(although there are NMEA sentences which could be used satisfactorily)
Old November 25th 04, 11:01 PM
Michelle P

Andrew,
PCEFIS.
www.pcflightsystems.com
Michelle (satisfied customer)

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Can anyone provide a pointer to some hardware/software usable on a portable
computer (Microsoft's CE, or perhaps even XP on a small system) that
provides a backup AI solution using "solid state gyros" (accelerometers?
altitude heading reference system?). I'm looking for something that I can
run on a system also running Airgator's NavAir product.

Bluetooth-speaking would be especially interesting.

Thanks...

Andrew

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old November 30th 04, 10:19 PM
Andrew Gideon

Michelle P wrote:

Andrew,
PCEFIS.
www.pcflightsystems.com
Michelle (satisfied customer)

Do you use this with a moving-map solution? If so, which? On what hardware
do you run this?

Thanks...

Andrew

Backup AI (using solid state gyro) for portable Andrew Gideon Piloting 14 January 27th 05 08:41 AM
Solid State Gyro PaulH Owning 2 March 31st 04 03:41 PM
FA: 10 Watt - Solid State Digital VHF- Transceiver Unicom OH Aviation Marketplace 0 March 30th 04 02:29 PM
Q for Jim Weir or others: solid state fuel level probes? Charlie England Home Built 11 March 12th 04 12:35 AM
Solid State Backup AI Dan Truesdell Instrument Flight Rules 20 January 15th 04 09:53 PM