Bucket hat vs baseball cap

Old May 7th 19, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

Default Bucket hat vs baseball cap

I just picked up a bucket had that pretty much every glider pilot wears, but I don’t want to wear is because I feel like it limits visibility way more than my baseball cap does. With the baseball cap basically visibility is only limited when looking up, but with the bucket had visibility is limited all around. I know clubs have ban wearing baseball caps, which I thought I understood why, but now I’m not sure why. Am I missing something here? Thoughts?
Old May 7th 19, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

The issue is the button on top. Take it off with some pliers and go fly.

PA
Old May 7th 19, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

On Monday, May 6, 2019 at 4:27:57 PM UTC-7, Paul Agnew wrote:
The issue is the button on top. Take it off with some pliers and go fly.

PA

i did take that button off.
Old May 7th 19, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Monday, May 6, 2019 at 4:57:33 PM UTC-7, soaringjac wrote:
On Monday, May 6, 2019 at 4:27:57 PM UTC-7, Paul Agnew wrote:
The issue is the button on top. Take it off with some pliers and go fly.

PA

i did take that button off.

Cycling caps have no buttons and a short brim that won't interfere with your upward visibility. I wear a wide brim had on the ground to put more shade on the noggin.

https://www.amazon.com/Slyse-Plain-C...g-goods&sr=1-7

Andy Blackburn
9B
Old May 7th 19, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

The short brim bucket hat works great, they are just hard to find these days, especially the best ones made from terry towel.
Hang gliders used to call glider pilots in Australia OFITTH, Old Farts In Terry Towel Hats.
Old May 7th 19, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ripacheco1967

What about a Panama hat? Cuban Hat?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....NL._UX385_.jpg

I guess this is a no-no if visibility up is a problem.

need to learn all this stuff.... (lots to learn)
Old May 7th 19, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Monday, May 6, 2019 at 6:21:17 PM UTC-7, ripacheco1967 wrote:
What about a Panama hat? Cuban Hat?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....NL._UX385_.jpg

I guess this is a no-no if visibility up is a problem.

need to learn all this stuff.... (lots to learn)

Agree with Andy, gliding requires more than one hat. One for rigging and one for flying.
SPF 30 or higher bicycle hats work well in the cockpit. Giro and others sell them.
The Bowlus Maxi bucket hats weren't bad, with a narrow brim. Do they still exist now that Mike has retired to Florida?
Once traded a Campagnolo bicycle hat for an official OFITTH hat. The brim is too wide for flight and like the Bowlus it doesn't provide much UV protection while on the ground.
Jim
Old May 7th 19, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=terry+c..._sb_ss_sc_1_21
Old May 7th 19, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

They still have too large a brim, we used to get ones with brim about 1” wide, which were ideal.
Ive got an official OFITTH hat too, and the brims are too wide.
Agreed about using a wide brim on the ground.
Old May 7th 19, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Monday, May 6, 2019 at 7:24:25 PM UTC-4, soaringjac wrote:
I just picked up a bucket had that pretty much every glider pilot wears, but I don’t want to wear is because I feel like it limits visibility way more than my baseball cap does. With the baseball cap basically visibility is only limited when looking up, but with the bucket had visibility is limited all around. I know clubs have ban wearing baseball caps, which I thought I understood why, but now I’m not sure why. Am I missing something here? Thoughts?

You were supposed to buy the 2 gallon variety, not the 5 gallon :-).

The bucket hats that come from SSA are better for gardening. My wife has one, it's huge, I'd never use it for soaring.

T8