When to apply gap seal tape

Old May 7th 19, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

Default When to apply gap seal tape

I am going to be using 3M perfect it followed by WX Block/Seal. Just wondering when in the process i should apply the new gap seals? I think i read that the seals/tape does not stick too well to freshly WX block/sealed surfaces. Should i put them on now and then mask them off, and then do the whole 3M/WX block seal process?
Old May 7th 19, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Others will be better than I, but to me, do all sanding and machine polish, clean place for seals and "safety tape", apply said items, then finish.
Just be careful around tape edges.
Old May 8th 19, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 4:56:57 PM UTC-4, soaringjac wrote:
I am going to be using 3M perfect it followed by WX Block/Seal. Just wondering when in the process i should apply the new gap seals? I think i read that the seals/tape does not stick too well to freshly WX block/sealed surfaces. Should i put them on now and then mask them off, and then do the whole 3M/WX block seal process?

You will get many opinions here, do what works for you! As for myself I do my waxing and clean the entire tape edge with a good cleaner such as acetone, or other high evaporating cleaner. Then apply the tape, it works for me.
Old May 8th 19, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 2:38:11 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Others will be better than I, but to me, do all sanding and machine polish, clean place for seals and "safety tape", apply said items, then finish.
Just be careful around tape edges.

Thanks Charlie! I am thinking im going to do the 3M stuff first, then clean where the tape goes and apply the tape. After that i will do the WX stuff and mask off the seals so they don't get ruined when i apply the WX block.
Old May 8th 19, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 4:18:50 PM UTC-7, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 4:56:57 PM UTC-4, soaringjac wrote:
I am going to be using 3M perfect it followed by WX Block/Seal. Just wondering when in the process i should apply the new gap seals? I think i read that the seals/tape does not stick too well to freshly WX block/sealed surfaces. Should i put them on now and then mask them off, and then do the whole 3M/WX block seal process?

You will get many opinions here, do what works for you! As for myself I do my waxing and clean the entire tape edge with a good cleaner such as acetone, or other high evaporating cleaner. Then apply the tape, it works for me.

Thanks Bob!