Garmin GpsMap 396 - First Impressions (long)

Old July 2nd 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

Default Garmin GpsMap 396 - First Impressions (long)

"Denny" wrote:

I'm flying with the 196 and 296 on the yokes... I can afford a 396 but
haven't decided that I need inflight weather...

If you flew back and forth between Mobile and Houston very much, you'd
already have decided.

These are typical days from mid-May to mid-September:

http://tinyurl.com/zmxej (Pardon the crappy resolution allowed on the
Bellsouth servers.)

Before I had XM WX, it was impossible to plan summer trips with any degree
of confidence, and often nerve-wracking to fly them.

Now? The boomers aren't nearly as scary when I know exactly what they're up
to.

I ain't sayin' I'll go *every* time, but I've postponed only one flight, and
landed short and waited only once in the two years I've had NEXRAD aboard.
Used to happen all the time.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 2nd 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

snip

Before I had XM WX, it was impossible to plan summer trips with any degree
of confidence, and often nerve-wracking to fly them.

Now? The boomers aren't nearly as scary when I know exactly what they're
up to.

I ain't sayin' I'll go *every* time, but I've postponed only one flight,
and landed short and waited only once in the two years I've had NEXRAD
aboard. Used to happen all the time.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

I don't have XM weather (wish I did), but the thing I've found which really
helps me circumnavigate convestive stuff is altitude. Like you, I live in
the South, where the haze layer often tops out at 8-10k ft. To get a good
look at the CB's from afar, I climb above the haze.

Since I fly an airplane which has the performance to get "up high"
relatively easily, SOP for me in the summer is to climb above the haze
layer, where I can see building weather from hundreds of miles away. The
other plus is that 90% or more of the GA fleet is below you when you're at
10k or better, so there is less traffic in the first place and the
visibility lets you see any traffic from a good distance.

KB

Old July 2nd 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

I don't have XM weather (wish I did), but the thing I've found which
really helps me circumnavigate convestive stuff is altitude. Like you, I
live in the South, where the haze layer often tops out at 8-10k ft. To
get a good look at the CB's from afar, I climb above the haze.

That's ok if the CBs are isolated. Often though, they're more numerous, and
hidden by towering CU that rise above the useful altitudes for my airplane.
On those days, I used to fly below the bases so I could spot the darker
areas and rain shafts. I spent a lot of time in sweaty, bumpy rides at
3,000 ft.

Since I fly an airplane which has the performance to get "up high"
relatively easily, SOP for me in the summer is to climb above the haze
layer, where I can see building weather from hundreds of miles away.

Must be nice. What airplane?

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 2nd 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

I don't have XM weather (wish I did), but the thing I've found which
really helps me circumnavigate convective stuff is altitude. Like you,
I live in the South, where the haze layer often tops out at 8-10k ft. To
get a good look at the CB's from afar, I climb above the haze.

That's ok if the CBs are isolated. Often though, they're more numerous,
and hidden by towering CU that rise above the useful altitudes for my
airplane. On those days, I used to fly below the bases so I could spot the
darker areas and rain shafts. I spent a lot of time in sweaty, bumpy
rides at 3,000 ft.

Since I fly an airplane which has the performance to get "up high"
relatively easily, SOP for me in the summer is to climb above the haze
layer, where I can see building weather from hundreds of miles away.

Must be nice. What airplane?

RV-6, and the performance is wonderful. There have been numerous times where
I've completed a flight through or around "VFR not recommended" weather due
seeing the convective stuff from far away. The aircraft's relative speed
also allows me to deviate around weather without losing all day and to get
to breaks in weather before they close. On the other hand, the altitude has
also kept me out of trouble when I saw stuff I didn't like and was able to
put down 10 or 20 or 50 miles away instead of stumbling into it down low,
sweaty, and in the haze.

Of course, you have XM to help with the weather. The heat and haze are
another issue...

KB

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 2nd 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter

Mike Spera wrote:
snip
Final nit, it has a PROPRIETARY RECHARGEABLE BATTERY! It needs the
special charger to juice up. Opinions vary, but I prefer standard
double A's. I don't want to get fleeced for $200+ in a year or so
when the rechargeable craps out. Yes, I know it stays charged while
on external power, but I still don't like it. On the plus side, the
battery will last 6+ hours with a fairly high backlight on. Something
like 16 hours with the backlight off, but the unit is almost
impossible to see with the light off.

Mike,

Good review. I share many of your observations, including your concern
about the proprietary battery.

However, if I may point something out -- the 396 runs for a VERY long
time on that relatively tiny and lightweight battery. In order for NiMH
to provide the same energy density, the entire back of the unit would
need to be dedicated to battery storage, and it would weigh a ton.
While I hate the thought of a proprietary battery like everyone else,
I'm willing to trade that off for the higher energy density and lower
weight afforded by the LiIon battery technology.

If you want to talk nits, I'm more ****ed that they used a proprietary
flash card. I mean, com'on! We have 2GB+ SD cards now that could hold
road maps for the entire US...and what do they provide with the auto
kit? 128MB(!) Hey Garmin...1998 called and wants its flash technology
back!

And speaking of the auto kit, I don't want to rub any more salt in that
open wound of yours, but if you had bought the unit by the end of last
year, you would have received the auto kit for "free".

Dunno if you've seen my review of the 396, but you might find it
helpful. Click through Aviation-Articles-Reviews-Garmin 396.

Safe flying,

-Doug

--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------
Old July 3rd 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

However, if I may point something out -- the 396 runs for a VERY long
time on that relatively tiny and lightweight battery. In order for NiMH
to provide the same energy density, the entire back of the unit would
need to be dedicated to battery storage, and it would weigh a ton. While
I hate the thought of a proprietary battery like everyone else, I'm
willing to trade that off for the higher energy density and lower weight
afforded by the LiIon battery technology.

Yeah, but only if you disconnect the weather receiver/antenna. With it
hooked up, you get 2 hours. At that point, standard batteries in the bag
start looking real good. I checked the Garmin dealers and another
battery is only $40, so I'll shut up and get one.

If you want to talk nits, I'm more ****ed that they used a proprietary
flash card. I mean, com'on! We have 2GB+ SD cards now that could hold
road maps for the entire US...and what do they provide with the auto
kit? 128MB(!) Hey Garmin...1998 called and wants its flash technology
back!

Ain't that a load of crap? There is an outfit selling "compatible"
memory cards, but they did not look much cheaper than Garmin's.

And speaking of the auto kit, I don't want to rub any more salt in that
open wound of yours, but if you had bought the unit by the end of last
year, you would have received the auto kit for "free".

They did bundle the car kit in the deal, but that was at $2499. The new
retail price that I paid is $2195. So, it is just a shell game.

Old July 3rd 06, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tom McQuinn

And speaking of the auto kit, I don't want to rub any more salt in that
open wound of yours, but if you had bought the unit by the end of last
year, you would have received the auto kit for "free".

Not that I'm normal, but mine will probably never see the inside of a
car. I bought the automotive card and software for my 295 (didn't
initially realize that they were quite a bit more $$) and found I didn't
like it. Small screens work for me on a yoke, but a dashboard is no
man's land to this bifocal wearer. But now that my Garmin 195 is
retired it is getting a new lease on life by feeding data to a retired
laptop under the seat running MS Streets & trips and feeding a 7"
monitor. And the whole mess isn't worth enough to be concerned about
theft, unlike my 396. Even if I bought another antennae and power cord,
and plumbed the 396 into the same spot where the monitor is going, I
would still get tired of constantly yanking the 396 out of its mount and
taking it with me when I park the car. That's the other thing that made
to 295 impractical for everyday use, at least for me, I never have it
when I really need it......
Old July 3rd 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter

Mike Spera wrote:
Yeah, but only if you disconnect the weather receiver/antenna. With it
hooked up, you get 2 hours. At that point, standard batteries in the bag
start looking real good. I checked the Garmin dealers and another
battery is only $40, so I'll shut up and get one.

2 hours? I get just shy of 4 hours with the XM connected and around 9
without. I wonder if your battery is from an old lot or sat around on
the shelf for a while. That's the one downside to LiIon
batteries...they don't last forever (charged or not) and hold less of a
charge with every charge cycle. Most regularly charged LiIon batteries
fail within 2 years. Can't wait to see how long this one lasts....mine
is 10 months old and counting.

Good that you found new batteries for $40. That makes me feel better.
I though they were double that.

-Doug

--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------
Old July 3rd 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tom McQuinn

I do like the fact the the 396 charges the internal battery when plugged
into a 12V source. What I don't like that I won't necessarily know when
the internal battery needs to be replaced because it will no longer hold
a decent charge because it will not normally be used. Of course, from a
safety standpoint, at this point I guess I have to be in IMC, lose the
alternator, run the aircraft battery down, and then exhaust the 396
battery before I'm totally sol. Maybe I should just spring for another
$40 battery, rotate them to keep them charged, and count my blessings!

Tom

Old July 3rd 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
.Blueskies.

"Doug Vetter" wrote in message ...
Mike Spera wrote:

Good that you found new batteries for $40. That makes me feel better. I though they were double that.

-Doug

How do you charge that 'spare' battery?