ATC Handling of Low-Fuel American Flight

Old February 25th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default ATC Handling of Low-Fuel American Flight

Jim Macklin wrote:

But only the controllers know which would be fastest for the
plane with the emergency.

Jim, that is like saying controllers actually fly the airplane.
Old February 25th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Dan Luke wrote:

"Sam Spade" wrote:

Those are issues that the captain could have short-circuited.

Nevertheless, he should not have needed to.

I could not agree more. But, having been there and having had to do
that, it sometimes take the PIC to get the job done.
Old February 25th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Jim Macklin wrote:

From now on, from this day until Hell freezes over, only ONE
airplane allowed within 30 miles of any airport at any time,
this is the way they guarantee Air Force One immediate
landing priority.

Help me understand what all this has to do with the issue of the AAL flight.

Old February 25th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Jim Macklin wrote:

IF there was no traffic, 17 would be faster, but there is
always traffic at DFW.

Even though the emergency status gives priority, it does not
create a magic wand that eliminates the traffic.

It is not a magic wand. It is respecting the PIC's needs expressed
with, or subsequent to, a declaration of emergency.

Had the collective ATC folks involved worked on getting the requested
runway available as they should have, then traffic would have had to be
handled as necessary.

Perhaps, in turn, that could have created other fuel emergencies
(although I doubt it). If that had been the case,then perhaps in turn
that would show that AAL and others have conned a weak FAA into letting
them cut back their dispatched reserve fuel requirements far too much.
Old February 25th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message

IF there was no traffic, 17 would be faster, but there is
always traffic at DFW.

Even though the emergency status gives priority, it does not
create a magic wand that eliminates the traffic.

There is a tremendous difference between how ATC works and how you believe
ATC works.

Old February 25th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

Since he did not get the runway he *should have demanded* why did it not
turn out "wishy-washy?"

The declaration was not wishy-washy.

Old February 25th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

"Jim Macklin" writes:

IF there was no traffic, 17 would be faster, but there is
always traffic at DFW.

Even though the emergency status gives priority, it does not
create a magic wand that eliminates the traffic.

In the real sky, traffic is very generously separated, and it's easy to move
it, as there is plenty of empty sky available.

Old February 25th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Then you tell us all, in detail.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
message
k.net...

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message

Old February 25th 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Because unless you clear the airspace, any clearance for an
aircraft in distress and declaring an emergency has to have
zero traffic conflicts.

They do that now, only for the President, a 30 NM radius.

DFW had lots of traffic, I'm pretty sure the AA flight got
the quickest landing possible.

"Sam Spade" wrote in message
| Jim Macklin wrote:
|
| From now on, from this day until Hell freezes over, only
ONE

Old February 25th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

A pilot declares an "emergency" and wants something done.
The pilot only knows what he can see on his panel, what he
has been told on the radio and therefore, his request may
not be THE solution to the problem.

My point is that ATC did get him on the ground safely. If
ATC had granted the pilot's request for 17 and it had taken
longer to clear the airspace and get him on the ground, ATC
would still be blamed.

BTW, has anybody heard what the problem actually was? [fuel
leak, bad gauges, PMS?]