My Modest Proposal to End Global Warming, Revitalize General Aviation, and End Our Dependence on Foreign Oil

Old October 20th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Edward A. Falk

Default My Modest Proposal to End Global Warming, Revitalize General Aviation, and End Our Dependence on Foreign Oil

In article . com,
Jay Honeck wrote:
Sounds good to me.

Me, too.

I could live quite happily without freeways. In fact, given my 6 mile
(round trip) commute each day, I'm considering an all-electric car as
my next vehicle.

All-electric cars have the problem of limited range. I'm thinking of
a plug-in Prius for my next car. It's an electric car for short trips,
and a hybrid for long ones. With solar panels on the roof to charge it,
it becomes pretty green.

--
-Ed Falk,
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/
Old October 20th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Macklin

Billions of Li-ion AA batteries in cars will be a
recycling/disposal nightmare.

We need nuclear powered cars and trucks.

Global warming is only the tip of the iceberg, the whole
solar system is getting hotter. Jupiter has a new Red Spot,
Mars ice caps are receding and the Rovers are getting
considerably more power than was predicted. Even Pluto is
getting hot, up to several degree above absolute zero now.

Maybe we now know why the ancient Egyptians worshiped the
Sun.

"Edward A. Falk" wrote in message
| In article
. com,

Old October 20th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Edward A. Falk" wrote

All-electric cars have the problem of limited range. I'm thinking of
a plug-in Prius for my next car. It's an electric car for short trips,
and a hybrid for long ones. With solar panels on the roof to charge it,
it becomes pretty green.

Unless you park it for a few weeks between uses, solar cells don't come
close to providing enough power to make it a viable charging option.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 20th 07, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt

In rec.aviation.owning Morgans wrote:

"Edward A. Falk" wrote

All-electric cars have the problem of limited range. I'm thinking of
a plug-in Prius for my next car. It's an electric car for short trips,
and a hybrid for long ones. With solar panels on the roof to charge it,
it becomes pretty green.

Unless you park it for a few weeks between uses, solar cells don't come
close to providing enough power to make it a viable charging option.
--
Jim in NC

Actually, if you covered the entire area of a Prius with the best
solar cells you can buy and parked it for 8 hours in Tucson in the
middle of summer, you could go a few feet.

1 hp = 746 Watts

Get the available sunlight energy from:
http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data...tlas/serve.cgi

Really good solar cells are about 20% efficient.

You do the math.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old October 20th 07, 11:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Matt Whiting

Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article . com,
Jay Honeck wrote:
Sounds good to me.

Me, too.

I could live quite happily without freeways. In fact, given my 6 mile
(round trip) commute each day, I'm considering an all-electric car as
my next vehicle.

All-electric cars have the problem of limited range. I'm thinking of
a plug-in Prius for my next car. It's an electric car for short trips,
and a hybrid for long ones. With solar panels on the roof to charge it,
it becomes pretty green.

Have you researched the process of making solar panels? Things aren't
as "green" as they seem...

Matt
Old October 20th 07, 12:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

What voltage do those cars use? I assume it's more than 12V. If so,
you'll have to series connect several solar panels to match what you
need. And then, if it's an oddball voltage, you'll have to build your
own charge controller to keep from overcharging. And then, does the
battery type used require a constant voltage or constant current to
charge them. If constant current, you will have to build your own
current source. None of this is un-doable, just some dinking around.
If the voltage required is quite high, you will have a fair investment
in solar panels...

Edward A. Falk wrote:

In article . com,
Jay Honeck wrote:

Sounds good to me.

Me, too.

I could live quite happily without freeways. In fact, given my 6 mile
(round trip) commute each day, I'm considering an all-electric car as
my next vehicle.

All-electric cars have the problem of limited range. I'm thinking of
a plug-in Prius for my next car. It's an electric car for short trips,
and a hybrid for long ones. With solar panels on the roof to charge it,
it becomes pretty green.

--
Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Gotta Fly or Gonna Die
Building RV-4 (Super Slow Build Version)
Old October 21st 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Macklin

The current crop of electric hybrids use about 4,000 AA
Li-ion batteries in series-parallel to get 800-1000 VDC for
the motors.

"Scott" wrote in message
.. .
| What voltage do those cars use? I assume it's more than
12V. If so,
| you'll have to series connect several solar panels to
match what you
| need. And then, if it's an oddball voltage, you'll have
to build your
| own charge controller to keep from overcharging. And
then, does the
| battery type used require a constant voltage or constant
current to
| charge them. If constant current, you will have to build
your own
| current source. None of this is un-doable, just some
dinking around.
| If the voltage required is quite high, you will have a
fair investment
| in solar panels...
|
| Edward A. Falk wrote:
|
| In article
. com,

Old October 21st 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Stewart

Jim Macklin wrote:
The current crop of electric hybrids use about 4,000 AA
Li-ion batteries in series-parallel to get 800-1000 VDC for
the motors.

The specs I've seen on the Honda Accord hybrid
show 120 NiMH cells giving 144 volts at 6.0 Ah

The Prius also uses NiMH cells, a total of 168
and a peak voltage of 201 volts and 6.5 Ah.
Old October 21st 07, 08:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger (K8RI)

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 20:41:30 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:

Billions of Li-ion AA batteries in cars will be a
recycling/disposal nightmare.

Most of the market is still using the older NiMH batteris with far
less capacity than the LI-Ion. But they are on the way.

Roger (K8RI)