Canopy repairs

Old November 4th 03, 07:49 PM
Jay Todd

Default Canopy repairs

OK - I've done the Google search on this subject, printed out all the
suggestions, purchased the Acrifix and even have a beat up old canopy
to practice on before I work on the real thing. My question is - which
Dremel tool is best to use for shaping the cracked area. Most of the
cutters look like they would grab a piece of plexi and that would be
the end of that! Thanks for the info.

Jay Todd
3D
Old November 4th 03, 08:11 PM
Scott Correa

"Jay Todd" wrote in message
om...
OK - I've done the Google search on this subject, printed out all the
suggestions, purchased the Acrifix and even have a beat up old canopy
to practice on before I work on the real thing. My question is - which
Dremel tool is best to use for shaping the cracked area. Most of the
cutters look like they would grab a piece of plexi and that would be
the end of that! Thanks for the info.

Jay Todd
3D

Jay.
Call me at my shop.
I manufacture plastic canopys and windshields.
and can walk you thru the process.

Scott Correa.
817-573-2972

Old November 5th 03, 02:44 AM
Ulrich Neumann

"Scott Correa" wrote in message ...
"Jay Todd" wrote in message
om...
OK - I've done the Google search on this subject, printed out all the
suggestions, purchased the Acrifix and even have a beat up old canopy
to practice on before I work on the real thing. My question is - which
Dremel tool is best to use for shaping the cracked area. Most of the
cutters look like they would grab a piece of plexi and that would be
the end of that! Thanks for the info.

Jay Todd
3D

Jay.
Call me at my shop.
I manufacture plastic canopys and windshields.
and can walk you thru the process.

Scott Correa.
817-573-2972

One little trick I used to fix my Libelle canopy: Place a strip of
wide, clear tape over the crack. Then use the Dremmel tool to carve
out the crack through the tape and half way through the plexi glass.
Should you 'twitch' or slip with the Dremmel, you are less likely to
leave unwanted scratches along the crack. Before filling the crack
with Acrifix, remove the tape and clean possible glue residue with
denatured alcohol. Overfill the grove slightly - Acrifix will shrink
some and you want to have some stock to remove afterwards. Otherwise,
you end up with a shallow 'ditch'. Repeat process on other side. It's
a lot of work but worth it.

Uli Neumann
Libelle 'GM'